VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a possibility to create a HDV DVD (e.g. 1920 x 1080)?

I had a Canon Legria HV40, still capturing on tape. I take family videos, families, etc. Unfortunately, just before the wedding the camera broke. I edit with Pinnacle 17 (previously 12)

The groom bought a JVC GZ-EX255 Everio which is supposed to be high definition.

These are the specifications of a clip. It uses a H264 codec and the dimensions are 1920x1080

MediaInfo:

These are the possibilities that Pinnacle offer.

First the file options:

DVD options

So many uncertainties!!

Should one uses this codec; should I convert to mpeg; should I rather use TMPG; etc, etc.

Possibilities for a disc includes:

DVD 720 x 576 50i 100% fit on disc. Is this still the best?
    AVCHD 1920 50i 81% fit on disc.
    AVCHD2 1920 50i 59% fit on disc.

I was under the impression that more people are using progressive in stead of interlaced?

So, what are the best settings for a high quality DVD and secondly for an external hard drive?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by avz10 View Post
    Is there a possibility to create a HDV DVD (e.g. 1920 x 1080)?
    Not if you want it to play in a regular DVD player. It can be resized to 720x576 and encoded as interlaced MPEG-2 video and then it can be made into a DVD. How it's resized depends on whether or not it's truly interlaced. I don't (and won't) use anything Pinnacle, but maybe it knows how to resize interlaced content. I'm sure someone here can tell you. You'll probably also want to reencode that PCM audio as DD 2.0 AC3 (not as DD 5.1 since your source is only stereo.).

Anything can be burned onto a DVD disc as a data disc. It'll play in a computer but not in a regular DVD player. And you can also probably make it into a Blu-Ray, maybe without doing anything more than authoring it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How it's resized depends on whether or not it's truly interlaced. I don't (and won't) use anything Pinnacle, but maybe it knows how to resize interlaced content. I'm sure someone here can tell you. You'll probably also want to re encode that PCM audio as DD 2.0 AC3 (not as DD 5.1 since your source is only stereo.).
    ).

So, you obviously recommend other software???.

Would you recommend TMPG or what other software are you thinking of?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by avz10 View Post
    ...or what other software are you thinking of?
    I feed AviSynth scripts into CCE. Or you can feed AviSynth scripts into the free and very good HCEnc. If you don't use AviSynth then perhaps someone else can make a suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVStoDVD is a pretty good DVD converter. I have used it to convert HD MPEG2 TV captures to DVD. It might be worth a try.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are quite a few encoders available e.g. CCE, Mainconept, Canopus Encoder. etc. Any opinions?

Any possibility to write AVCHD to DVD?

Or should all DVD's created from a mpeg base?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. You had that explained in #2 response.

AVCHD on DVD is used to save money, or was used in the past more with high prices for BD discs then, where you store AVCHD on DVD, you can play it in Blu-Ray player, today's BD players would play it or you can play it on your computer. You have to watch for bitrate, should not be more than 18Mbit/s. But you cannot use it in DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!