VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    not sure where to post this.
    I recruited someone on craigslist to rip several CDs (which they have) in wave or flac format. To send the files to me, they want to rip and upload simultaneously to a host site like Dropbox. I'm wondering if doing that might cause file corruption? I would prefer they rip first, upload after - or mail me the audio files on physical media - but they dont seem concerned. Should I be concerned?
    If it's not advisable to do, I'm afraid they'll still do it since I wont immediately know. Any advice on that?
    Last edited by spiritgumm; 2nd Jul 2014 at 23:26.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It should work fine. Dropbox is mirroring your hdd and should upload the correct files after they are ripped to the hdd. I don't think you can rip and upload to only dropbox directly.

I'm using dropbox and have never had any file corruption.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I don't think you can rip and upload to only dropbox directly.
    They said the could do the job in 2 hours - I asked if they meant both rip 30 cds and upload? And if so, then how could they do it so fast? Would they be uploading simultaneously (since that would shave off some time)? They said yes.
    Even if they rip to Flac instead of Wav (up to 10 GB instead of 20 GB), the ripping will take over an hour. I know there's some fast internet connections, but it just doesnt seem feasible. As the "customer" I'd like to feel reassured that someone is doing a good job, not trying to get it done as fast as possible without any regard to the results. Little things have made me concerned, like they didnt seem to know how big a CD was, and refuse to answer questions like what ripping program they use.
    Last edited by spiritgumm; 3rd Jul 2014 at 07:33.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I recently ripped around 30 CDs for someone. They were burned compilation CDs which needed to be transferred to an MP3 player, and I ripped them in secure mode which can take longer (the mode I used reads the disc more than once and keeps reading until it gets the same data twice, but there's more paranoid ripping modes).
    Burned CDs can sometimes be slower to read than pressed discs due to poor burn quality, but I've got four drives capable of reading CDs in this PC and I had them all ripping simultaneously....... maybe an average of 15 minutes per disc, four at a time, that'd be 16 per hour, but I'm pretty sure that'd be a fairly optimistic evaluation. I think in reality it took most of an afternoon.

Some ripping software (Exact Audio Copy, which I don't use myself, I think is an example) writes detailed log files. You could ask for a copy, although it doesn't sound like you'd get a satisfactory response.......

Is there a possibility the discs in question may be already (or mostly) ripped and on a hard drive? Or some are already uploaded to a DropBox account and just need to be transferred to another account (assuming DropBox works that way)?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not picking on your spiritgumm, but how do you not already know this?

When you buy ANYTHING on craigslist, you have made a conscious decision that the price is the number thing for you and ALL OTHER considerations go out the window. Yes, you CAN be cheated on craigslist. Your seller won't answer your questions and you apparently think that we can magically reassure you that everything he does is going to be correct. We can't give you those kind of reassurances. It may be OK. Or you may get cheated. If the latter, good luck. You do understand that the official policy on craigslist is that craigslist is NOT in any way responsible, right?

Probably your seller is going to use some easy tool like WMP to rip and God only knows what you'll get. I think there's a good chance you won't get WAV or FLAC at all and you'll get MP3, AAC or WMA instead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Is there a possibility the discs in question may be already (or mostly) ripped and on a hard drive? Or some are already uploaded to a DropBox account and just need to be transferred to another account (assuming DropBox works that way)?
    I was allowing 3-5 minutes ripping time, based on using Nero or Foobar. I imagine EAC has that "secure mode" but if you're not using that one, what program does have it? Sounds like a good idea that I should start using.

I'm certain the CDs are not on their HD (the discs are at another location). I'm not a Dropbox expert, but you can share your files with other people like any host site. Dropbox allows 2 GB for a free account so I would have to pay for a real account for the ripper if they want to implement their plan. I thought they should rip everything first, and worry about sending the files later - upload a few cds at a time.
    As usual, jman98, I kindly request you not post to my threads.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Foobar2000 has a secure ripping mode. It's the program I use for ripping.

File/Open Audio CD, select the drive, then click on "Drive Settings". There's two secure ripping modes. Standard or Paranoid. I use the former. I'm pretty sure it reads until it gets the same data twice. I think paranoid mode requires the same data four times, so it's very slow.

When I rip a CD I don't use the Rip button. I'm not sure why now I think about it..... maybe just out of habit.... but I use the Open Audio CD menu and add a CD to a playlist instead, then use the right click convert function to convert it to another format (ie flac). The CD is still being ripped and the secure ripping methods still seem to work when doing it that way.

Here's a foobar2000 ripping guide. Foobar2000 also supports AccurateRip, which I never use myself so I can't remember how to exactly..... I think you need to use the Rip button for that, but it's another way to verify whether a disc is ripped accurately by comparing your rip to a database of rips of the same disc, or something like that.....

Well that was a blast from the past. When googling "foobar2000 ripping modes" the third search result was a link to an old thread in another forum where I was arguing with another poster about foobar2000 ripping. http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/beginners-question-ripping-speed.744797/
    Then I discovered I'd also been arguing about the RIAA EQ curves used on LPs. I had no idea I knew the slightest thing about that. I wonder if I was talking ^&$%??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lol, it's only been a couple years since you were an LP EQ expert. What happened?

Thanks for the "secure mode" tip for Foobar. Aside from that, I rip with "play" if the metadata is already present or isnt required. I rip with "rip" so it will search online database for metadata or perform "Accuraterip." One thing I dont like about Foobar ripping is it incorporates silent gaps into the end of tracks, which is why I usually use Nero.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I dunno, I think I must have read some stuff regarding LP's which sounded fairly wrong, knew a little, did some furious Googling, became in instant "expert", then forgot most of it again.

I stopped adding metadata via the "Rip" method for some reason. I've got a slow internet connection and I think it used to time out too quickly. That's probably why I started doing it via a playlist instead, as that way I can right click and select "tagging" to look for data. Or maybe I'm remembering wrong. I've been doing it the same way for years so much of it is possibly habit. Next time I rip a CD I'll try the Rip button again.

The foobar2000 "adding silence" thing seems a little odd. Especially if you're getting rips which which pass as AccurateRips. Maybe Nero has a function to remove silence whereas it's foobar2000 being "accurate". Just a thought......
    Foobar2000 does have a "remove silence" DSP though. I have it installed but I can't remember if it's standard component or one I downloaded separately. I'm not sure I've ever used it. It doesn't seem to appear in the components list (or I'm having a dumb day), but it's in my DSP list so it can be added as a DSP when converting in the usual manner. I assume you can add DSPs the same way when you use the "Rip" button? I honestly can't remember, although if I was going to use it I'd probably rip first then use it when converting the ripped files to another format. Have a look to see if you have it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	skip silenece.gif
Views:	222
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	26057
    Quote Quote  
  10. By the way, have you tried this guy?

http://foosion.foobar2000.org/components/?id=delta

I run it on playback, set to 20%. It gives the high frequencies a little more sizzle. Helps make up for my old, abused ears. At 20% the effect is fairly subtle, but I quite like it. Of course it can be adjusted to taste.
    I generally prefer to listen to the audio "as-is" without additional DPSs etc, but I tried the noise sharpening DSP and kept it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Inre sharpening, I only tweak audio using a wave editor since results will vary.

I dont usually use AccurateRip so I dont know if it would eliminate the gaps or not. I'll have to try it.

I know about the Foobar "skip silence" DSP, but had read that it can detect silence within tracks (depending on how sensitive you set it) and thus potentially screw things up. EAC has gap-detection, and Nero seems to do it effortlessly as well as allowing you to add gaps of varying length.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I just use the sharpening DSP on playback. I wouldn't encode with it or anything like that, but for playback I quite like it in moderation. Each to their own, I guess....

I don't think AccurateRip would eliminate the gaps. I suspect it'll confirm the silence foobar2000 rips is silence at the beginning/end of the tracks and not something it's adding. I'll have to try it myself at some stage.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 4th Jul 2014 at 20:41.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no, AccurateRip doesnt eliminate gaps - I just checked. Foobar still adds the gap to the end. If you use the "Skip slience" DSP, you still get a report that there are inconsistencies in the rips from AccurateRip. So it's kind of pointless, I guess, unless there are no gaps in the original.
    I usually use Foobar for ripping, converting or retagging, not for actually playing music. I use a cd player at home, or mp3 player when I need something portable.
    But anyway, I decided not to use the ripper/uploader person for my project.
    Last edited by spiritgumm; 4th Jul 2014 at 13:47.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!