VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using Power2Go 6.0.0.2221 (SR #: CDS080926-02), which was supplied bundled with my LG BH08LS20 burner. I'm running Windows XP SP3 and Toshiba UDF2.50 drivers, as recommended by my PC supplier. I've been burning Blu-rays with this set-up for about 5 years.

I burnt a set of video folders (my own production, so my copyright) to a blank BD-R but didn't notice that the "Close disc (no futher data can be added)" option was NOT checked in the Configuration/Information; Burner tab. The resulting disc will play in the computer but not in a Sony set-top Blu-ray player.

Can I rescue the disc, and if so how? I imagine it should be possible to add a small, harmless file in a second burning session and make sure the Close Disc option is checked. But what is a "harmless" file in the context of a BDMV video disc, and where should it go?

If it was just one disc, I'd throw it away and put it down to experience, but I actually burned 4 copies each of 2 different productions that evening, all with the same mistake, and I'd rather not waste 8 discs if I don't have to.

I've already asked this question on the CyberLink forum, but I don't think anyone understood the question, given the less-than-helpful responses I received there.

Is it possible to "close" this disc in a second session and so restore the ability to play in a normal blu-ray disc player, and if so, how?

It's a BDMV-format blu-ray disc. The actual video footage is 1080-line MPEG2, c.25MBps, one of the standard Blu-ray video formats. I've used that Sony blu-ray player to play discs I've burnt using Power2Go in this format for several years. It continues to play other discs without problems. It's just the batch of 8 that weren't closed correctly during the first writing session that are causing problems.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It MAY be possible to do what you propose, but the problem you are going to have is that BluRay and DVD formats aren't designed for multi-session burns. Not really. They may work OK in some hardware players and not work OK in others. Sometimes only the first session gets seen and nothing else. Sometimes only the last session gets seen and nothing before that.

You can probably create a folder called PHOTOS and put a small file there and it will be OK, but trying to close a multi-session burn is iffy so no promises you'll get it to work OK no matter what you do.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Next time use imgburn for burning your discs,it will give you proper warning messages if try to burn a disc with improper settings.Also the only way you can close multi-sessions is if the original burning program has an option to do that.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    ImgBurn has the option to close a disc, but I suspect, from previous attempts I've seen discussed on the net, that the disc will become unplayable. If you want to try with one, look in Tools-->Drive-->Close-->Disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Many multi-session capable burning apps will expect you to "import" or "link" the contents of your former session(s) before they will be "visible" in the final session. And, btw, PCs are built to default to seeing the final session (with a few exceptions). Settops are often NOT. Note that, regardless of whether you close disc or don't or whether you link sessions or don't, ISOBuster should be able to read/extract each and all of your discs' data.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    It MAY be possible to do what you propose, but the problem you are going to have is that BluRay and DVD formats aren't designed for multi-session burns. Not really. They may work OK in some hardware players and not work OK in others. Sometimes only the first session gets seen and nothing else. Sometimes only the last session gets seen and nothing before that.

You can probably create a folder called PHOTOS and put a small file there and it will be OK, but trying to close a multi-session burn is iffy so no promises you'll get it to work OK no matter what you do.
    Cheers. Adding a PHOTOS directory in the disc's root directory hasn't worked, so that's used up one of the 8 duff discs. Power2Go shows that it now contains 2 tracks and 2 sessions. It still plays OK in the computer, but the Sony player won't recognise it.

Just chalk it up to experience, I guess. And get a copy of ImgBurn...
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!