VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. I downloaded Legend Of Korra S2 episodes in mkv and a subtitle file from a local site (.srt) and merged them together using mkvmerge GUI.
    I then put the combined file on a disk-on-key, connected it to my LG TV and the video and sound would work perfect but the subtitles wont appear . can anybody help me ?
    P.S when I opened the combined file on the computer the subtitles appeared.

edit: typos.
    Last edited by Yuvalyo; 2nd Jul 2014 at 13:43.

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The TV's manual will have a section that describes what subtitle formats the media player supports. This section of the manual will also tell you if subtitles are playable if they are muxed into an mkv file or if subtitles are playable only if they are included as separate files in the same folder as the mkv file. Read it.

3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Also, if these subtitles are in a language that does not use the Latin alphabet (ie. Greek, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Thai, etc.) that may be a problem if you bought your TV in a country where that language is not a national language. Non-Latin character sets can be problems and only certain code pages may be supported or for some languages the TV may not play them at all no matter what you do.

4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The TV's manual will have a section that describes what subtitle formats the media player supports. This section of the manual will also tell you if subtitles are playable if they are muxed into an mkv file or if subtitles are playable only if they are included as separate files in the same folder as the mkv file. Read it.
    couldnt find it in the manual or in the user guide which is in the TV but i found this http://www.ehow.com/info_12198868_formats-lg-led-tv-support.html and according to this my TV should support .srt , couldnt find if it needs to be muxed or not
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Also, if these subtitles are in a language that does not use the Latin alphabet (ie. Greek, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Thai, etc.) that may be a problem if you bought your TV in a country where that language is not a national language. Non-Latin character sets can be problems and only certain code pages may be supported or for some languages the TV may not play them at all no matter what you do.
    its a non-latin alphabet but its the national lanaguage

Search Comp PM
    The other possibility is the mkv support of the TV does not include having subtitles merged in the mkv container . Take the subs out of the mkv file and put the srt file in the same folder as the mkv file making sure the srt file name is identical to the video file.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851

6. Most devices won't play subtitle that are muxed into an MKV file. Leave them as a separate MKV file with the same base name as the video.

7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, Yuvalyo. That video series appears to be copywrited and DL'ing it would be a violation of our Warez rule.
    Thread closed.

Moderator redwudz

Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!