VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi guys

So I have an MP4 video and SRT sub file. I want to put them together, but I can't for my life figure out how.

My video file MediaInfo is this:

Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42
    File size : 393 MiB
    Duration : 16mn 22s
    Overall bit rate : 3 351 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2014-06-29 05:18:43
    Tagged date : UTC 2014-06-29 05:18:43
    Writing library : AVS

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Baseline@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=15
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 3 153 Kbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.051
    Stream size : 369 MiB (94%)
    Language : English

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 22.2 MiB (6%)
    Language : English
    mdhd_Duration : 982720

Help me figure out what's wrong? I've tried Handbrake, Xvid4PSP5, avidmeux(sp?) and some other programs, but it either ends up with no sub, no audio, or no video.

Can anyone tell me what program to use and stuff?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake is probably the worst choice for this. Xvid4PSP should be able to do it. What problem did you have exactly with it? Are your subtitles in a language that does not use the Latin alphabet, such as Chinese? If so, you need to convert it to UTF-8 format text and feed that into Xvid4PSP for best results. I have hardcoded Chinese subs into Xvid using Xvid4PSP so it's definitely possible to hard code your subtitles with it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Handbrake is probably the worst choice for this. Xvid4PSP should be able to do it. What problem did you have exactly with it? Are your subtitles in a language that does not use the Latin alphabet, such as Chinese? If so, you need to convert it to UTF-8 format text and feed that into Xvid4PSP for best results. I have hardcoded Chinese subs into Xvid using Xvid4PSP so it's definitely possible to hard code your subtitles with it.
    Ahhh thanks so much for replying :') I was about to pull out my hair.

When I use Xvid4PSP, there's no subtitle. It's like the subtitle isn't encoded at all? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. How do you usually do it?

My subtitles are in english!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Did you try subtitles => add ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Did you try subtitles => add ?
    Yeap. In the Xvid4PSP window, the video shows up fine. But the output video just lacks the subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Look for a log file and post it
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Look for a log file and post it
    Sorry but could you tell me how to get a log file?

I'm not really good with this

Oh and in case you need to know what ver i'm using, it's 5.10.330.3
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry, I haven't used it in a few years and don't have it installed - I going by memory here .... The log file is a report of the processes used and any errors. I don't know where it is, dig around

Or try something like ripbot, megui
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    To be honest with you, I admit to having issues with Xvid4PSP when not encoding to Xvid with it, so I only use it for encoding to Xvid. I was hoping maybe you had non-Latin character sets for subtitles in which case converting to UTF-8 should fix things.

Since your encoding to MP4 is failing to give you the subs, I have to ask you this. Which is MOST important to you?
    1) I can live without MP4 format if I can get the subs to be hardcoded.
    2) I simply must have MP4 and no other format will work for me and if I have to have the file without subs, that's just how it is.

If #1 fits you, then try encoding to Xvid. I know that works. Worst case, it's ugly but you could encode to Xvid with a high bit rate (4000 Kbps or more) to get the subs into the video and then re-encode that to MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  10. btw. hardcoding subs should also work fine with Hybrid
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry, I haven't used it in a few years and don't have it installed - I going by memory here .... The log file is a report of the processes used and any errors. I don't know where it is, dig around

Or try something like ripbot, megui
    I can't seem to find one D: But it's okay, I'll keep your suggestion in mind if Xvid4PSP really fails me. Thanks a lot!

To be honest with you, I admit to having issues with Xvid4PSP when not encoding to Xvid with it, so I only use it for encoding to Xvid. I was hoping maybe you had non-Latin character sets for subtitles in which case converting to UTF-8 should fix things.

Since your encoding to MP4 is failing to give you the subs, I have to ask you this. Which is MOST important to you?
    2) I simply must have MP4 and no other format will work for me and if I have to have the file without subs, that's just how it is.

If #1 fits you, then try encoding to Xvid. I know that works. Worst case, it's ugly but you could encode to Xvid with a high bit rate (4000 Kbps or more) to get the subs into the video and then re-encode that to MP4.
    Thanks, I'll try and update you in a bit (Y)

Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    btw. hardcoding subs should also work fine with Hybrid
    I'll keep your suggestion in mind if Xvid4PSP really doesn't work for me. Thanks a lot bro!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    Maybe this image will be useful
    http://www.erightsoft.com/snaps/images/AddSubtitles.gif
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by calinskiii View Post

Thanks, I'll try and update you in a bit (Y)

Now the audio and subtitles show up, but the video is just gray. Actually, in the preview in Xvid4PSP the video's also gray when I open it now. D:

Originally Posted by morenz View Post
    Hello,
    Maybe this image will be useful
    http://www.erightsoft.com/snaps/images/AddSubtitles.gif
    Thanks! It does look pretty easy to use. I'll keep you suggestion in mind
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    I've tried VidCoder! But the issue was that the output had no sound.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In Vidcoder under Settings and the Audio tab try choose Codec: Passthrough. It should then just copy the audio stream.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    In Vidcoder under Settings and the Audio tab try choose Codec: Passthrough. It should then just copy the audio stream.
    I'm not sure what went wrong but now there's no audio or subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Give up. .
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    As long as we're making a list : It's worth noting that Tencoder can also hardcode subs.
    (Make sure Video & sub File have the same name.)

Also, you could, if you know a bit about ffmpeg, try a direct CLI approach, with a .bat file that you'd put in the folder with your 2 files.
    Something like :
    "ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -vf subtitles=subtitle.srt out.mp4"
    (although that requires to add the encoding parameters, but still...)

See -> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HowToBurnSubtitlesIntoVideo

That would give you (almost) complete control of what you're doing.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Freemake Video Converter is easy to use and will also hardcode subs
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by CyberOtter View Post
    As long as we're making a list : It's worth noting that Tencoder can also hardcode subs.
    (Make sure Video & sub File have the same name.)

Also, you could, if you know a bit about ffmpeg, try a direct CLI approach, with a .bat file that you'd put in the folder with your 2 files.
    Something like :
    "ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -vf subtitles=subtitle.srt out.mp4"
    (although that requires to add the encoding parameters, but still...)

See -> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HowToBurnSubtitlesIntoVideo

That would give you (almost) complete control of what you're doing.
    Trying Tencoder now! I don't really know what ffmpeg is though. Isn't it some kind of codec thing? But i'll keep that suggestion in mind!

Originally Posted by julitomg View Post
    Freemake Video Converter is easy to use and will also hardcode subs
    There's no video when I use Freemake, although there are subs and audio. The video is just a still from the video.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    btw. hardcoding subs should also work fine with Hybrid
    Well your right it SHOULD work with HYBRID. In fact there settings there that can;t have any other real purpose ... but it doesn't work.

I've beaten it to death and beyond and just like VLC (which has settings that OUGHT to let you hardsubs easily)... and a few dozen other tools I've used - the encoded file just doesn't yield hard subs after the conversion no matter what you do.

Frankly one of my biggest annoyances with all these tools is that they have no (or absolutely terrible) documentation. Anyone who isn't going to bother documenting their tools, ought to take up another hobby. Lack of docs makes very hard to do anything beyond the most vanilla operation.

This goes ULTRA BIG for the powerful command line tools....many of which also sit behind various GUI front end tools we use (command line tools that can do far more - especially with some scripting).

HANDBREAK (for instance) has a command line tool (the log files show the commands) which can do a lot more than their GUI lets you do - and no docs to explain what the command line options are or how to use them.

Same with VLC. And although the main VLC web site has forums that quite literally have thousands of requests for the very same simple information ... and the folks who make the software spend massive time answering those questions (again and again) - - those very same people (who spend that much time answering those questions repeatedly) will *NOT* take a fraction of that time to make any real documentation - answering the questions *ONCE*, and properly.

I was a senior I.T. contractor for a long time. My code was even bonded not to fail. Even so, it would have been pretty useless software without good documentation (same with database design and other stuff).

No matter how intuitive the interface is, the more complex the situation the more you will need good documentation. My rule of thumb was if I could not take an almost computer illiterate person (they know how to use WORD a little and handle their email) and then put them in front of the machine with my software and my docs, and have them get it to work *easily* - then my docs still sucked. I also kept being asked back to the same job sites (even 3 years after they knew I was too disabled to work).
    Last edited by barleysinger; 11th Nov 2014 at 14:48.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Well your right it SHOULD work with HYBRID. In fact there settings there that can;t have any other real purpose ... but it doesn't work.
    This outlines how to embed subtitles.
    If your subtitles do not come inside the input file container, but are separate, step 3&4 can be skipped.

Frankly one of my biggest annoyances with all these tools is that they have no (or absolutely terrible) documentation. Anyone who isn't going to bother documenting their tools, ought to take up another hobby. Lack of docs makes very hard to do anything beyond the most vanilla operation.
    A Strong opinion I don't really share, but nobody is forcing you to use a tool I write in my free time. Personally I have a family which also likes me to spend my free time with them. The free time I'm willing to spend normally is spend:
    1. trying to keep up with the changes to the tools Hybrid is using
    2. refactoring the source code to keep it maintainable (~150k lines of code; not counting ui layout files and any generated code)
    3. extending Hybrid (adding options, writing tool tips,..)
    4. fixing bugs users report (hardest part most of the time is to understand all that google auto-translated stuff folks send you by email or post in forums)

If I wanted to write about how 'an almost computer illiterate person' could use Hybrid to it's full potential I would need to write a book (or more).
    Back when I didn't write (much) code and was more of a normal user, I used to write manuals&Co. For example I wrote a 173 page essential manual for MeGUI in German ('MeGui Essentials') and even that is far from being easy enough to understand that any 'almost computer illiterate person' would have been able to use and understand MeGui. Since Hybrid has way more options&co, writing a manual for Hybrid for 'an almost computer illiterate person' seems to be a pipe dream which is why I always wrote that Hybrid is not really a tool for beginners and probably never will be since it's whole development isn't meant to please such users. It's aiming more for folks who like tons of screws to turn and at least basically know what they are doing and are not afraid to read tool-tips and ask if some general handling problems exist.

Cu Selur

Ps.: If I could afford to drop my normal work I would probably try to write a documentation which would make it for novice users more easier to understand how Hybrid is working, but even then I doubt I would have the motivation to try to write a document which would be as plainly understandable as you would like.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!