VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi

I have a DVI signal 1280x1024@60 Hz and I would like to record this signal without any quality loss (as is) to a Mac Book Pro.
    So far I have only been able to find Scalers that can deal with this signal (not very popular ratio and resolution) and convert and distort it, but no solution where I just can record the unscaled, unaltered orginal video signal in the best quality. Ideally this hypotetical recording/scaling(without actually scaling) device would have an audio in, so I could record an external audio source (microphone) on it.

Any ideas ?

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope someone comes up with an OSX compatible device with a Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 interface that can do what you want so you can use your Macbook Pro, but I have not found one that can capture uncompressed 1280x1024 video at 60 Hz and stereo audio.

If nobody comes up with a capture device for your laptop, you may need to look into getting a Windows desktop for this project. The one capture device that I have seen which does capture 1280x1024 video at 60 Hz via DVI plus stereo audio is only for Windows and has a PCI-e interface. I do not know what kind of video sampling and colorspace options are supported for recording.

http://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/PCI-Express-HD-Video-Capture-Card-1080p-HD...onent~PEXHDCAP

You also have the problem of recording the capture. The file size for uncompressed HD video is enormous. Those who capture uncompressed HD video are forced to use a RAID array of SATA-connected hard drives or a very large SSD to record the capture files. Have you thought about how you will add the needed storage to your Macbook Pro?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Jul 2014 at 11:14. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for your response. You can record with this here in Q4 2014:

http://www.atomos.com/shogun/

Any Mac solution ? Thunderbolt ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by luckyo View Post
    Thanks for your response. You can record with this here in Q4 2014:

http://www.atomos.com/shogun/

Any Mac solution ? Thunderbolt ?
    The problem is the 1280x1024 PC resolution that you want to capture.

All the OSX-compatible HD capture devices I looked at are limited to standard broadcast resolutions (480p, 576p, 720p, 1080p).

In case you did not notice, the Shogun does not support capture at 1280x1024 either.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks. I have to test if my Scaler can embed the 1280x1024@60Hz signal in a 1920x1080 1080p60 and than I can record it. I also wonder if FCP/MBP are fast enough to capture a 1080p60 signal. Apart from the enormous size (900 GB/h ?). Therefore I would ideally record only the 1280x1024, if possible. So you suggest that 1280x1024 can be recorded on a PC as is. With e.g. the MonsterX ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So you suggest that 1280x1024 can be recorded on a PC as is.
    I have a link indicating that the Startech PEXHDCAP was successfully tested by someone for 1280x1024 60Hz capture. http://lpokeh.blogspot.com/2014/03/review-capture-cards-what-i-used.html

The Startech PEXHDCAP does provide uncompressed video input to a PC, which can be losslessly compressed or captured uncompressed with the right set up. It is the same hardware as the Micomsoft SC-500N1/DVI but not as difficult to buy and less expensive. It works with AmarRecTV as well as the software provided by Startech.

With e.g. the MonsterX ?
    The MonsterX card is famous among video game capture enthusiasts, but I have not seen full specs indicating all its supported capture resolutions.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Jul 2014 at 11:27. Reason: left out a word
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!