VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey gang! I recently picked up a used vhs camera from a local thrift superstore, but I'm running into some trouble. When I begin recording, a the text "REC" appears on the display, but will periodically go away. Additionally, when I attempt to play the tape, it is blank. I noticed when I hit the recording button, the tape does not appear to be spinning. Is there anything I can do?

I'm not sure what brand or model the camera is, but it has the test "SOLID STATE VHS MOVIE" written on one side and has a 6x zoom (or so it says - I haven't figured out how to zoom yet). Googleing this things, it appears to be a SOLID STATE VHS MOVIE CAMERA MODEL 934,53746950, which is the name that came up on ebay. This appears to be the same camera due to the tell take weird yellow button on the side. Attached are some pictures from ebay.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 4yfanatic20 View Post
    When I begin recording, a the text "REC" appears on the display, but will periodically go away. Additionally, when I attempt to play the tape, it is blank. I noticed when I hit the recording button, the tape does not appear to be spinning. Is there anything I can do?
    If I remember correctly on some jurassic VHS camcorders, when you hit REC, it actually puts it on REC PAUSE mode. The drum is spinning; the tape is stationary. Depending on model, you then hit either PLAY, PAUSE, or REC again to start recording.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  3. That doesn't seem to do anything. Though, interestingly enough, the pause button does the same thing as the record button. Unfortunately, neither actually record anything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try pressing them simultaneously
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  5. No dice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Then throw it away.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lol...
    Quote Quote  
  8. The camcorder in question is branded "LXI Series" which is a Sears house brand. I have a similar model and it dates to 1987. The OEM is Hitachi and the model is very similar to a Hitachi VM-3000A or VM-3100A. Parts such as batteries are extremely common since tons of companies rebranded this model, notably RCA and Radio Shack (Realistic Model 100). It was one of the first camcorders to break the $1000 price barrier. There is a good chance it needs belts due to age. Its also used as a prop on the TV show "The Goldbergs".

The video quality is deplorable and the low light sensitivity sucks like ever other camcorder from the 80s.

Sample Video from my unit:

For comparison, this is video from a modern Canon HV20 shot in identical lighting in the same spot:

Like night and day!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!