VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I open the program, and it does not scan my DVD drive.
    I click on Source and then my DVD drive, and nothing happens.
    I click on Source and then Open Folder. First of all, the top of the dialog box has a bunch of squares in it. I browse to my DVD drive and the Video_TS folder, it scans my DVD and then nothing happens.

Shouldn't it be easier than this? I'm using WinXP. Any help is appreciated. I've installed/uninstalled twice already.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Are you trying to work with commercial DVD's? Handbrake doesn't decrypt commercial DVD's by itself. I believe you can add a dll file from VLC to get decryption for simple CSS encryption, but you'd be better off using a better decryption system.

For free, use MakeMKV to rip to an mkv file and use it as input into Handbrake.

Or if you are in a country where you can still get the free version of DVDFab Passkey, let it run in the background as you use Handbrake. It is much more limited in what it can decrypt compared to MakeMKV.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 29th Jun 2014 at 22:30.
    Quote Quote  
  3. All my MKVs using MakeMKV are "jerky", so I thought maybe I'd try Handbrake since I see a lot of people talking about it, to see if the quality is better.

I ended up figuring out I had to pre-rip my DVDs, so I used DVD Decrypter. However, it seems like Handbrake wants to only let me select the contents of one VOB file at a time, and not the whole movie.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You have to select folder mode when loading dvd folders,never use file mode for selecting vobs.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are using MakeMKV, use the backup function then open the TS folder from the hardrive. Sort of like the way
    you would use DVD Decrypter or other rippers that backup the structure.

That way you avoid the MKV intermediate.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    ^ Backup function in MakeMKV does not work with DVD-video, only Blu-ray.

And I have never seen a jerky mkv produced by MakeMKV, nor even heard of one before this thread. I would suspect the OP's playback software configuration is at fault.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are correct sir, my bad. MakeMKV only backs up BluRay in that mode.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!