VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all, I am doing something very basic. I have mp4 files and I select a portion (say from min 5 to 10), and save as.. with default options.
    So I come up with a new .mp4 file (even letting avi muxer output container, on windows; while it saves as .avi on linux box, btw).

On those videoclips, when I play them with VLC, or just see metadata on windows folder, the video length is not shown anymore
    (and I can't swipe the cursor along either!!).

How do I manage not to lose it or at least to fix it and recover after cutting videos?

I am available to give further details, I find these issues annoying and do not see what I am doing wrong.

thanks a lot, ricardo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sounds like the software which you use for cutting isn't that good, or may be the output just has some broken headers, in which case remuxing with mp4box might help.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Sounds like the software which you use for cutting isn't that good, or may be the output just has some broken headers, in which case remuxing with mp4box might help.
    I forgot to mention I am using (last version) Avidemux on either win and linux box. Which I supposed to be good..
    As a workaround I am glad to try and fix as you suggested however.

thx for the hint, I go ahead and try..
    Quote Quote  
  4. Which I supposed to be good..
    Doesn't look that good judging from your results, so either the flags are not all set properly then MP4Box might help.

Other than that for Windows there should be multiple alternatives:
    for frame accurate cutting like MPEG StreamClip, SolveigMM Video Splitter 4 or similar.
    one could even first remux to mkv using mkvmerge, use 'MKV Cutter' to cut the mkv and then remux to mp4.

For Linux mp4box&ffmpeg could be used for key-frame accurate cutting.
    Quote Quote  
  5. For next cuts I'll follow your post, and try other solutions, as Avidemux is broken to me.
    However it is not apparent to me what to do to fix those clips I made to keep what I need from longer videos, unaware of this bug, or whatever may have that piece of software.

I can give you some information:

Mp4Box:
    demuxing the file (I just checkmarked the audio and video file found within the container) reports exactly like this:

Begin: 01/07/2014 15:08:39, End: 01/07/2014 15:08:39, Difference: 00:00:00, STATUS: Complete
    Command Line: "C:\Program Files\..\MP4Box.exe" -raw 0 "D:\temp\Video\myfile.mp4"

If I checkmark video only:
    Difference: 00:00:00, STATUS: Error
    [iso file] Incomplete box (.j.
    Truncated file - missing 1121870614 bytes
    Error opening file D:\temp\Video\myfile.mp4: IsoMedia File is truncated

If I add the file in mux tab and hit Mux:
    Begin: 01/07/2014 15:12:18, End: 01/07/2014 15:12:18, Difference: 00:00:00, STATUS: Error
    Unknown input file type
    Error importing D:\temp\Video\myfile.mp4:fps=25.000:delay=0:name=m yfile.mp4: Corrupted Data in file/stream

Other info from video player: Input type AVC1(GVC) - Output type is YV12 - Audio AAC Stereo, Play channel: 6 channels

How is Mp4box supposed to do something? Should I be able to demux audio and video part and remux again hoping it will do the job finely?
    I never did this things before, so I am just guessing (but this is apparent, as I am writing in this thread)

Thanks again for advicing about that..
    Last edited by HeyRicardo; 1st Jul 2014 at 10:06.
    Quote Quote  
  6. IsoMedia File is truncated
    should only happen if your file is broken one way or another,...

try if running the file through ffmpeg first:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i "D:\temp\Video\myfile.mp4" -vcodec copy -acodec copy ffmpegOutput.mp4
    if it does, use the new file as input for the other tools
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    IsoMedia File is truncated
    should only happen if your file is broken one way or another,...

try if running the file through ffmpeg first:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i "D:\temp\Video\myfile.mp4" -vcodec copy -acodec copy ffmpegOutput.mp4
    if it does, use the new file as input for the other tools
    It worked!
    The output file is thoroughly fixed, beyond my expectations )

For new cuts I have tried solveigMM video splitter and results are very good.
    But I am willing to try out other tools as well, which you pointed out to me.

In particular, about linux, you said I could use ffmpeg+mp4box.
    You probably meant that I could cut using ffmpeg and (re)mux using mp4box;
    I also hope I can fix cuts using ffmpeg the same way I did right now with the command you gave me.

Best regards, and a very big thank you!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!