VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am looking for a video converter that can work with very high bitrate and offers extensive subtitling function. I've been using Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate as it is very good with customizing subtitles (the best I've found so far). But found that it does not convert videos to very high bitrate. For videos in the range of 4,000 - 5,000 Kbps there's no problem. But if I tried to convert videos with 20-30 Mbps bitrate, for example, even after I input the desired bitrate of the converted file to be identical to the original file, once the program finished the conversion the resulted files always ended up with only a few thousands Kbps bitrate. The maximum bitrate I could manage to get from using Xilisoft is 9,000 Kbps.

I tried a couple of other video converters but found most also limit the bitrate of the converted file to be in the range of thousands of Kbps too.

The program I've found to work best with high bitrate video is Handbrake, but it does not really have subtitles function.

I'd suppose 9,000 Kbps is not a bad bitrate for video. But I'd still quite like to be able to keep to the same level of the bitrate in the original files. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You don't detail "extensive subtitling function" so I don't know what you mean. Nor what type of source subtitle you're using but since you feel the need for re-encoding instead of merely muxing I'm guessing you're hardcoding the subtitles.

MediaCoder can give you 16 Mb/s in the free version. Higher bitrates demands premium version.
    Quote Quote  
  3. higher bitrates demands premium version.
    lol
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes I need to hardcode SRT subtitles into the videos, so I am looking for the converter that allow me to customize font, size, position, outline, color etc. of the subtitles. So far only Xilisoft offer these functions.

I had tried Mediacoder's free version and it is OK but it does not work well with subtitles in foreign languages (non-Latin characters). Handbrake does not hardcode SRT subtitles too.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Royy View Post
    Yes I need to hardcode SRT subtitles into the videos, so I am looking for the converter that allow me to customize font, size, position, outline, color etc. of the subtitles. So far only Xilisoft offer these functions.
    Gimme a break. Anything made by Xilisoft sucks. If you work with subs then use SSA or ASS and not SRT. Set up the styles before hardcoding. And use a different program. Lots can use high bitrates, unless you're just maxing them out (called 'saturating the codec').
    Handbrake does not hardcode SRT subtitles too
    So what, since you want styles (color, font, position, etc.)? Use SSA if you have to use Handbrake:

SSA Subtitles
    SSA Subtitles can be passed-thru or burned into the video.
    When burned into the video, all styling (e.g. fonts, colors, etc) is preserved.
    Animated effects (e.g. fade in/out, karaoke) are not currently supported. (Only the middle frame of the animation will be used.)
    When passed-thru as text, only bold/italic/underline styles are preserved. Some players may not support the simultaneous display of multiple passed-thru SSA subtitles.
    https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Subtitles
    Quote Quote  
  6. Are you using UTF-8 encoded .srt? (I've used greek, farsi, chinese (simplified/traditional), kanji ... in MediaCoder without problems).

To use srt in Handbrake you need to convert those to .ass and mux those into the video source file.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!