VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Will the sapphire R7 250 graphics card work with a 235 W psu?

PC - Optiplex 960

http://imageshack.com/a/img856/8264/ujya.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1226&pid=2028&lid=1#

If it's that particular model, says the minimum is 400 watt
    In fact most of the r7 250 models i looked at need either a 400 or 500+ w psu.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I used this card for about 4 months and it was working fine on my 235 W psu. Is there any chance that the R7 250 GPU will work on my pc?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	150
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	25940
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So you were told what was clearly stated in the above linked pic. Your PS is out of spec. Just because it's been working for a while doesn't mean it will continue to work.

if you're just waiting for some fool to agree with you, good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Of course, the manufacturer's requirement of a 400 watt power supply makes many assumptions about the power consumption of other components in your computer. It's probably also padded to account for PSUs that can't really output their full rated power (many cheap power supplies can't even put put half their rating). If your old graphics card "required" a 400 watt power supply but ran fine in your computer the r7 250 may too. But a lot will depend on how much you stress the computer. You may have problems with both cards if you run the CPU and graphics cards at 100 percent at the same time. Or even alone.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the r7 250 will consume around 35w more than the HD5450. So, taking into account the rest of your PC, you will be very close to the PSU limit.
    To be honest, it would probably work without problems, you could take your chances or go for a safer bet with the R7 240.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for all the replies . I have decided to buy the R7 250.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!