+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What has less display lag,

running component cables on 1080i on a PS3

or

running an HDMI cable on 720p on a PS3

on

a CRT HDTV ?

Also if anyone's wondering, my TV model is Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KV-30HS420, and according to Wikipedia,

is the Hi-Scan kind

Super Fine Pitch
    1440x1080i

Hi-Scan
    853x1080i

WEGA 16:9 Enhanced
    480i

WEGA
    480i
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is really no way to answer this question conclusively unless someone has the same TV and a PS3, but my guess is that the difference in the processing time between the two types of input is imperceptible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PS3 HDMI output have input lag in any TV. Its a fact.

Your problem: 720p@60 with input LAG or 1080i@30 without input LAG. Its your choice.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The amount of delay would depend upon the processing the TV applies to the HDMI signal. I figured that an TV that old would apply less processing overall on account of being less technologically advanced.

Some newer TVs have a game mode or a PC mode that turns off most of the processing and reduces delays. That Sony doesn't have those modes available but there may be some picture enhancement settings that can be turned off to reduce processing delays. Because it has a CRT screen, it does a digital to analog conversion on the HDMI video signal. Scaling for a CRT is also handled differently than for an LCD. It should be faster than scaling for an LCD.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Jun 2014 at 23:08.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Alright thanks you guys
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!