VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am in an jam. I want to know how large you can project a 1920x1080 video with a file size of only 164 mb MOV file before it is too large to see clearly. Can anyone help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If your movie is 4-6 seconds long you should be fine.

Without knowing the running time, codec, or having some sense of the complexity of the show no one can say. If it's more than a minute I would be wary.
    Quote Quote  
  3. codec is MOV h264 96kibs running time is 7 min and screen size is about 25 feet by 15 feet
    Last edited by Saramack; 24th Jun 2014 at 18:11.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The problem is that this video is in a 48 hour film project and I turned in a small file. I have a 1.64 gb file but if i switch it they will let it screen but I will be out of the judging part.
    Quote Quote  
  5. How big is your current 1920x1080 monitor and how close can you get to it before the picture looks too fuzzy? From there it's simple math to determine how big you can project it before it gets too fuzzy for the viewing distance of the theater(?).
    Quote Quote  
  6. im looking at a 22 inch monitor on a mac and I can get right up on it and its clear as a bell we shot on 5d and t4i
    Quote Quote  
  7. aprox 2.5mbs, pretty iffy. I'm sure you had your reasons for not turning in the larger file from the get-go.

Unless your story is really fantastic, the quality may be held against you -- so you'll have to decide what's most important.
    Last edited by smrpix; 24th Jun 2014 at 16:41. Reason: incorrect calculation
    Quote Quote  
  8. If it were 345 mb how much would that help and will the 164 mb be worse that vas If the 345 is not much better I may take the hit and turn in the 1.6 gb but i am really trying not to be kicked out of the judging. I did turn in a 345 as well but its a flash file
    Quote Quote  
  9. No I had no reason. I was an idiot. I just hit the wrong codec and ran out the door to beat the deadline.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Presumably you have a copy of the 345 and the 164. How do they compare? To stay in the judging enter whichever looks better.
    Quote Quote  
  11. on my screen the look the same but the flash has a little color loss which i am willing to loose if its will look better
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Saramack View Post
    im looking at a 22 inch monitor on a mac and I can get right up on it and its clear as a bell we shot on 5d and t4i
    What does "right up on it" mean?

For example, if your 22 inch monitor starts looking fuzzy from closer than 22 inches away, then a 22 foot projection will start looking fuzzy from closer than 22 feet away. It's just simple ratios.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I misunderstood you. I can be twenty feet away or two inches away and it looks good. it still looks great at 10 feet
    Quote Quote  
  14. the resolution is big and its 96 kibs I just don't know if the size of the file will do a lot of harm 164mb when project over 50 feet on to a 25x15 screen I have tried to figure this out for several hours. I'm afraid that i am a production guy but when it comes to this I am not apt.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Nobody can tell what file size (bitrate) is required to keep from losing detail and breaking up into blocky artifacts. It's different for every video. If it's mostly computer generated still shots with no noise you can get away with a tiny file. If it's all action, with smoke, flames, explosions, shot on super grainy film it will require a tremendous size.
    Quote Quote  
  16. its all video interior not action just actors shot on canon 5d and t4i not smoke ect. Just actors I may have them show the flash version. it has twice the file size and was turned in with the other so it would not kick me out of the judging but my 1.6gb avchd file will
    Quote Quote  
  17. What video codec have you used in the flash version? What software did you use to encode it?

If you want to upload 10 representative seconds of each version, more experienced eyes here may be able to help you judge which is better.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I used Adobe to edit and encode. first was a flash which was 340 mb then a MOV 16 mb then an avchd 1.6gb the only difference I can see is some color. I will try to upload some here but I have to first get them to youtube then link them here. I will try to do this later tonight or in the morning. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  19. Youtube reencodes everything with crappy low bitrates. Nobody will be able to tell much from that. You need to upload unreencoded samples of your videos. This site accepts files up to 500 MB.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Ill try to get them up later. The one in my file is all flash so ill try to get it later

Thanks for the help
    Quote Quote  
  21. It's useless to tell us your videos are flash files of mov files. Those are just containers. They can contain video encoded with a number of different codecs. What matters is what codecs were used and what settings. It's like asking us which cake tastes better, the one in the cardboard box or the one in the plastic box. The box doesn't matter. The ingredients in the cakes and how they were made matters. We'll just have to wait for your samples.
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th Jun 2014 at 20:10.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Well that Youtube looks good here. Why not try to use your 1920x1080 projector and project the vid on your wall and see how it looks.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!