VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What's the difference if any between the Panasonic DMR ES25 and the DMR ES25s? The "s" is a later model but I can find anything to indicate it is an upgrade.

Dajuad
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dajuad View Post
    What's the difference if any between the Panasonic DMR ES25 and the DMR ES25s? The "s" is a later model but I can find anything to indicate it is an upgrade.

Dajuad
    The "s" at the end of "DMR ES25s" model name means the chassis is silver, rather than the usual black.

[Edit] I had to do some research. The versions with a black chassis are usually denoted by a "k" at the end of the model name. If there is no letter denoting the color, the case could theoretically be either black or silver, but silver seems to be more common.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Jun 2014 at 14:26.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well, my chassis is silver (dull aluminum) and it is a simple DMR ES25. The ES25 is not obtainable but the ES25s is currently available. There is a manual for the ES25 on line but not for the ES25s. Perhaps they simply changed the naming convention. However, my DVD dates for 2006 which is a rather long time ago for these items.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dajuad View Post
    Well, my chassis is silver (dull aluminum) and it is a simple DMR ES25. The ES25 is not obtainable but the ES25s is currently available. There is a manual for the ES25 on line but not for the ES25s. Perhaps they simply changed the naming convention. However, my DVD dates for 2006 which is a rather long time ago for these items.
    In case you aren't already aware of this, Panasonic no longer makes DVD recorders for N. America. As I recall, they produced the last new models for N. America in 2008 (the DMR EZx8 and DMR EAx8 product lines) and ended production for those in 2010.

The ES25s may be old stock, used, or an import. Panasonic has at times continued production of a few models for sale outside N. America after they stopped selling them here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A ES-25 is the same as ES-25s, AFAIK there was never a ES-25k, a ES-25 is a ES-25, the only exception might be for certain European models which might have something different after the ES-25. The ES-25s is not a upgraded or better ES-25.
    The ES-25 is basically a ES-15 with unconverting(1080i) HDMI output and a SD card reader. The ES-25 many also have the ability to play Divx where I don't believe the ES-15 can. They are all '06 models, although may have been available in early '07, they were replaced with the EZ-17 and upconverting EZ-27, both with the new digital tuner.
    Unless you need the rather flaky digital tuner I'd stick with the ES-15/25, they are more stable although they can suffer from the dreaded u99 error code.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!