VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I’ve used tsMuxer 2.6.12 to mux a .mkv file + an english subtitle (.srt file) to .m2ts file.
    (note: tsMuxer converted .srt sub into .pgs sub in the created .m2ts file)

Result: - The .m2ts file played on my PC, subtitle shown ok.
    - The .m2ts file played on my Sony BD player (via USB), subtitle is not shown. Why?
    In playing files, is there any way to make a PGS sub to be shown on BD player (using tsMuxer)?

Note: - My BD player plays bluray disc showing subtitles normally.
    - If I’ve used mkvMerge GUI to mux that above .mkv file with that .srt sub, creating a .mkv file, and that .mkv file shows the subtitle normally on my BD player (via USB)! I don't understand why.
    Anyone help me, please!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You could try easySUP to convert your *.srt to *.sup first. Then mux your MKV and the *.sup file with tsMuxer. Mux to Blu-Ray folder.

And welcome to the forum.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for your help, fritzi93!
    I follow your guide: open easySUP, input my .srt file, edit output format, choose "save folder",...then click "Start," ...Done!
    But nothing happens!
    I don't find .sup file at anywhere!? Open "save folder", nothing there (?)
    I do something wrongly here? Please teach me!
    (I'm using win 7- 32bit)
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's hard to say. There may be something wrong with your .srt.

Maybe try running it through Subtitle Edit first and output a new .srt? Then easySup or srt2sup to convert to .sup.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sony will play a mkv with sub/idx subtitles merged,tsmuxer will not mux sub/idx subtitles.You can convert sups to sub/idx with BDSup2Sub and mux them with mkvmerge,You can also use mkvcleaver to extract the sup from your mkv that you first merged from m2ts.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    You could try easySUP to convert your *.srt to *.sup first. Then mux your MKV and the *.sup file with tsMuxer. Mux to Blu-Ray folder.

And welcome to the forum.
    Following your guide: Use Subtitile Edit to create a new .srt and then convert it to .sup.
    Mux the .sup with my mkv file by tsMuxer, blu-ray folder...done!, I have m2ts file and then play it on my Sony. Result: the same, no subtitle shown on my Sony! (and this time, my PC not show the subtitle too!!)
    I missed some edits on tsMuxer? I did wrongly somewhere?
    It seems that Sony cannot play .sup in m2ts file via USB, right? You ever met this problem like me before?

Originally Posted by johns0
    View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message Sony will play a mkv with sub/idx subtitles merged,tsmuxer will not mux sub/idx subtitles.You can convert sups to sub/idx with BDSup2Sub and mux them with mkvmerge,You can also use mkvcleaver to extract the sup from your mkv that you first merged from m2ts.
    Thanks for your opinion, johns0.
    I follow yours too: convert .sup to sub/idx and then mux them with mkvMerge. Result: The subtitles error on my Sony!? (shown but error, cannot read them)
    While muxing mkv with .srt by mkvMerge, my Sony shows the subtitles ok, but I don't like .srt sub as they look unsharp, unbeautiful at all.
    The matter is that I like to use tsMuxer to create m2ts file with .sup to display on my Sony, because .sup is much more beautiful than .srt.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't own a Sony but my cheap Seiki BD player will play muxed srt and chapters in a MKV made using MKVMergeGui.

It will also play muxed srt subtitles using TSMuxer but only if I create a AVCHD or Blu-ray format (DVD5-9 or BD25-50 type) disc or put the structure on a usb stick. The USB drive must have a top level folder named AVCHD (caps) with the BDMV and other folders directly below as they would appear on a disc which means you can have only 1 AVCHD structure per usb thumb drive. For multiple movies under the same AVCHD I use MultiAVCHD to create the selection menus.

My Seiki will not play the srt or chapters if I just mux them into a m2ts file or even extract the m2ts file from an AVCHD disc where they played fine and try to play it as separate file although the video and audio play it doesn't see the chapters or subtitles.

Note too that my Seiki will not play the pgs subs generated by tsmuxer outside of a AVCHD structure. For example if I take an m2ts file created from tsmuxer with pgs subs and input that into MKVMergeGui to generate a MKV those subs will not play. What I do then is input the original srt (but cleaned up of special characters), elevate them to top level subs and keep the pgs subs too which were within the original m2ts. One day I may get a better player that recognizes the pgs subs in a MKV container and I like the formatted subs much better. Muxed text srt within the MKV don't look as good on my Seiki as do the converted srt (pgs) in an AVCHD. The fonts and sizes can be adjusted when converted to pgs in TSMuxer whereas the muxed output in the MKV have much larger text.

BTW) This is a limitation of our BD players rather than the tools or human error.
    Last edited by gll99; 25th Jun 2014 at 07:13.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The thing with easysup is you have to adjust the settings to match the resolution of the video or the subs characters will be way to small,you can see the character size when doing the adjustments.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you for your opinion, gll99.
    My Sony can play .srt in a mkv file muxed by mkvMerge as well, and I agree with you that .srt sub dosen't look as good as .sup sub.
    I tried to create a m2ts by tsMuxer, output into Blu-ray folder (following fritzi93's guide above), I got: BDMV, CERTIFICATE folder and then I put them all on my USB stick and played it on my Sony. I selected BDMV\STREAM\m2ts file and then nothing happened, my Sony could not play the m2ts file!
    As you said, if I put only m2ts file (taken from STREAM folder) on my USB, my Sony could play it but no subtitle, .sup sub could not be shown!

The USB drive must have a top level folder named AVCHD (caps) with the BDMV and other folders directly below
    you mean I have to build a folder structure on USB like this: AVCHD\BDMV\CERTIFICATE and BD player will play it?
    How do you play it, select m2ts file manually from the structure like me, or your BD player plays it automatically?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    The thing with easysup is you have to adjust the settings to match the resolution of the video or the subs characters will be way to small,you can see the character size when doing the adjustments.
    I don't use easySUP, something wrong with easySUP on my PC (it dosen't work although it runs progress...done... but I don't see output file at anywhere). I use Subtitle Edit to create .sup and use BDSup2Sub to make sub/idx.
    Will try to adjsut character size as you said and will let you know the result.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Oh, Yeah! I MADE IT !!
    I put folder BDMV, CERTIFICATE into folder AVCHD on my USB, then play the USB on my Sony BD player and now my Sony shows the subtitles correctly, beautifully!
    I can also switch the subtitles like playing a BD disc too!
    Thank you all, guys!
    Here what I do:
    No need to convert .srt to .sup
    I have 2 .srt files and a mkv file (movie). I mux 2 .srt files directly with the mkv file by tsMuxer, output: Blu-ray Folder.
    Muxing done, I get folder BDMV, CERTIFICATE. (open BDMV, I'll see BDMV\STREAM\m2ts file and this m2ts file now contains .sups that were converted from .srts by tsMuxer during muxing)
    On my USB, I create folder "AVCHD". Copy folder BDMV, CERTIFICATE and paste them into "AVCHD". Now play the USB on my Sony: select USB, select "AVCHD" and then hit enter on "AVCHD", my Sony plays it automatically and shows the subtitles perfectly! And I can switch the 1st sub and 2nd sub easily too!
    I made it!
    Last edited by anhlinhp4; 26th Jun 2014 at 04:56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good to hear you have had success. That's exactly how AVCHD on usb play on my Seiki also.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    Good to hear you have had success. That's exactly how AVCHD on usb play on my Seiki also.
    Thank you, gll99 !
    Just small hint from you "USB must have a top level folder named AVCHD (caps)", it resolves the problem!
    Also thank all guys above who are very kind to give me the helpful guides!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hello gll99,
    For multiple movies under the same AVCHD I use MultiAVCHD to create the selection menus.
    It's interesting thing to me. Could you tutor me for that?
    For example, I have 2 moives, after muxing I get BDMV 1, CERTIFICATE 1 and BDMV 2 , CERTIFICATE 2
    I want to put them on the same USB to play on my Sony, how will I do?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!