VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Intel's Xeon Phi - Knights Landing

Intel hopes to take hardware performance to the next level with its latest Xeon Phi supercomputing chip, which packs an array of new hardware technologies that could ultimately find their way to laptops and desktops.

The new Xeon Phi chip, also called Knights Landing, is Intel’s largest and also most powerful chip package to date. It can deliver over 3 teraflops of peak performance, which is in the range of high-performance graphics chip used to crunch complex math calculations in the world’s fastest computers.

The chip, which will be in supercomputers starting in the second half of next year, was detailed at the International Supercomputing Conference this week in Leipzig, Germany. Knights Landing includes a new form of stacked memory that could ultimately displace conventional DDR memory used in PCs and servers today. Also in the chip is new ‘fabric’ technology called OmniScale for faster internal and external data transfers.

... ... ...
    ... ... ...
    ... ... ...
    Computing World is entering into Interstate Express Highway.
    Quote Quote  
  2. This is a component for massively parallel computing, not a desktop CPU. It's a low power Atom CPU at heart. Its cores offer 3x the performance of the current Atom CPUs. Which still leaves it way below current i3,i5,i7 CPU cores. Its real benefit is the low power consumption and small size so you can pack 1000 of them into one big box.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!