VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I'm extremely new to digital video, filmmaking, and this site, so I apologize in advance if this is not the appropriate forum for my question. I have just unearthed my mom's unused Sony DCR-VX2000 right as I am about to enter my first filmmaking class at university in the fall, and I am wondering if it would still be practical to use this camera in combination with current digital editing technology or if the camera is too outdated to be able to be used alongside current computers and editing software. All replies are greatly appreciated,

Thanks
    Sam
    Quote Quote  
  2. Almost any video software will be able to handle the DV video from that camera, but the standard definition video on that 10 year old camera is well behind.the times. That was a fine camera in its day.
    Last edited by smrpix; 21st Jun 2014 at 23:58.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The VX2000 was a fine camera in it's day and still is as long as you don't want HD. I use two VX2000s and a VX2100 and you won't get better SD quality with anything else. It's a proper prosumer camcorder too, not something that was designed with the home movie maker in mind and was a slightly cut down version (no DVCam recording or XLR jacks for external microphones) of the professional PD-150 and 170. Until the need for HD, the BBC used to use nothing but.......
    Quote Quote  
  4. @richard_g,

As I understand it, BBC in fact was using DVCPro50 for acquisition on even high-end shows. While DV, DVCam, DVCPro and the double-bitrate DVCPro50 are capable of surprisingly good recording, the front end of the cameras used (lenses, chips and electronics,) would have been higher end than those available on an excellent consumer grade camcorder like the DVX2000. No doubt the DVX and its brethren were often used as B-cameras or in dangerous situations.
    Quote Quote  
  5. you need to frame 16:9 or wider picture, make compositions, to frame 4:3 (as VX2000 does ) is somewhat easier, so better to do it with 16:9 from the beginning
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used to own 2 VX-2100s (VX-2000's successor) and I LOVED them. When I upgraded to HD cams, I gave them to a friend of mine who uses them to record church services. They served me well, were built well and gave me no problems. Good cameras to cut your teeth on too.

Word of advice: try not to reuse tapes if you can avoid it. I would also be wary of some of the longer-length tapes too. They are sometimes problematic (in my experiences).

Brainiac
    Last edited by Brainiac; 22nd Jun 2014 at 13:29. Reason: added info
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!