VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was given a Symphonic 6300 VCR from 1989 a few days back, and when I first got it the display didn't work. I unplugged it, went to do something else, and when I came back and plugged it in, the display lit up. Today, I had to move the VCR which meant unplugging it. I left it unplugged for a few hours, and now I can't get the display to light up, but its still getting power and I can play a tape. I'm guessing the power supply is at fault?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't understand why you haven't thrown these pieces of crap away by now:
    http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?p=3107407
    Symphonic and RCA stuff was CRAP sold in stores like Hill's and K-Mart. They were right there on par with Goldstar electronics equipment.....CRAP.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you don't want to help, I will go elsewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have VCRs that work better, but I WANT to try fixing them, just to get the satisfaction of doing so.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vintagevcr View Post
    I have VCRs that work better, but I WANT to try fixing them, just to get the satisfaction of doing so.
    And keep doing it. I hear the same drummer and its lots of fun when you do get it to work right.

There's a few good VCR experts here, perhaps they'll give you a clue or two.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It sounds like an intermittent power connection. Try wiggling the cable that connects the display to the motherboard.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Which one? There are a few cables connecting to the display.
    Quote Quote  
  8. All of them. At both ends of the cables.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Also, if you like tinkering with vcrs, you can usually get them for less than $10 at places like Goodwill. If you don't mind dumpster diving, Goodwill throws out a lot of vcrs when they accumulate too many on the shelves.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Oh cool! I am going to throw away a Magnavox DVD VCR Combo that I have, because it is constantly trying to play a nonexistent tape, and the cassette basket appears to be broken. I tried loading a tape in by hand with the power off, and when I turned it on the loading arms moved into place, but REW, FF, and Play all aborted after a few seconds. I did get a picture though. And the DVD side works, but to be honest, its BPC, all plastic.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I actually tried working on a Symphonic 6450 with the same transport as the 6300, so I pretty much know my way around, but i'm not that great with circuits or soldering. They tried to teach me in my computer class at school, but my hands started shaking like crazy.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!