VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I want to copy my old VHS tapes to DVD and i have problem with picture. I have Hitachi VT-425e. Sound is good but picture is very bad. I don't know is the problem with vcr or with tapes. If is problem with tapes does It can be fixed with tbc? I have tried to adjust tracking but nothing happends. Here is a sample video.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just go on Ebay and buy a cheap VCR....or borrow another VCR to make sure it is the tape....or the VCR.
    Both options are much cheaper than buying a good TBC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is this with all tapes or just one or two ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Problem is with all tapes, oldest tape is from 1993 and newest is from 2001, (i have about 10 tapes), is it possible to on every my tape only video has degraded but sound not. I have tried my friend VCR but it doesn't work, it eats tapes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well you need to check that your tapes have not been 'eaten'. Carefully open the hinge cover and, without touching the tape, check for any damage.

If the tapes are fine then you do need another VCR. No tbc could do anything with that (the issue is still in the analogue realm ie to the tv) whereas time-base errors appear at the digital point (ie upon attempted capture)
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like badly recorded tapes dubbed a few times.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have checked all tapes, they looks fine, there are not mold on them, they aren't damaged... Tapes aren't badly recorded and they are newer dubbed. I will try to find another VCR and i hope it will work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well if these are not your recordings but are 2nd or third generation copies from another VCR you will have issues.

Johns0 may well have a point there. But I saw disturbance beyond what such copies would produce but it does depend on the state of both the playback/recording machines (beyond your control) AND your own machine.

You could still be fighting a losing battle.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These tapes are not my recordings, and the tapes aren't copies from another VCR. Ten years ago tapes worked normally, and several weeks ago, when i tried to play tapes problem has appeared. I will in august get Samsung SV-261, and i will try to play tapes with this VCR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are not making a lot of sense now.

If you did not record them then they MUST be recorded on another VCR. How do you know that they were not copies or even copies of copies ?

Are they, by any chance, LP (Long Play) recordings ?. Are you using the same VCR that you last played them 10 years ago ?. If either, or both, of these are true it lowers the chance of good play-back. Go ahead and get that VCR but if it not new (and you can not get many, if any, new VCRs these days) then worn heads on that will hardly improve the matter.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!