VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a .mov file with an alpha channel and I want to convert it to .avi with RGBA (So; I would still have the Alpha Channel). I have tried many softwares but in vain.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What kind of AVI did you want ? What kind of compression ? or uncompressed RGBA ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I don't really care as long as the alpha channel (transparency) is there on the AVI file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. e.g. you can do this in ffmpeg with uncompressed RGBA

ffmpeg -i input.mov -pix_fmt rgba -c:v rawvideo -an output.avi

the -an means no audio . Did you want to copy the audio, or what kind of audio? Not all types are supported by AVI container.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I copied the command, changed the input.mov to the file name but it showed No SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY. What did I do wrong ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. use the full file & pathnames for everything

e.g
    Code:
    "c:\ffmpeg.exe" -i "c:\folder\input.mov" -pix_fmt rgba -c:v rawvideo -an "c:\output\output.avi"
    of course change the file paths & names to match your files

vdub can do it too if you use set it up properly and use the ffinputdriver plugin

What do you need this for? What purpose/situation?

Most people would use lossless compression instead of uncompressed RGBA. Generally it will cut filesize down about 1/2
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    The video was upside down and from 175 MB the avi file got a size of 2.7 GB. Can you please give me an idea about the 2nd method? Sorry for taking too long; I am a newbie
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by raudbul View Post
    The video was upside down and from 175 MB the avi file got a size of 2.7 GB. Can you please give me an idea about the 2nd method? Sorry for taking too long; I am a newbie

LOL I asked if you wanted compression.

What application / program are you viewing it in? Some might expect bgra or slightly re-arranged channels. Some don't handle certain AVI files or RGB correctly

The other method is actually more difficult if you're not already familar with vdub

1) download 32bit vdub

2) download 32bit ffinputdriver, follow the instructions
    http://code.google.com/p/ffinputdriver/downloads/list

3) Install a lossless RGBA codec like lagarith

4) To open the MOV, file=>open video file, but you need to select in the "files of type" drop down menu in the open video file dialog box "FFMpeg supported files" and select the MOV

5) With the MOV loaded, verify that RGBA is being read correctly with file=>file information (not some other color space). If it doesn't say RGBA (it might give you a variant like BGRA, that's ok), stop and go back and check the previous steps

6) audio=> no audio

7) video=> fast recompress

8) video=> compression => lagarith . Push the configuration button and make sure the mode is set to "RGBA"

9) File => save as AVI
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    There is no FFMpeg supported files in the drop down menu of supported files.
    I installed every single program.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by raudbul View Post
    There is no FFMpeg supported files in the drop down menu of supported files.
    I installed every single program.
    There is no actual install for the ffinputdriver or vdub. They are just in folders. Only lagarith is actually "installed"

Are you certain the 32bit versions were downloaded ? The ffinputdriver files are in the plugins32 folder ?

Close and restart vdub
    Quote Quote  
  11. Ahhh sorry. Vdub discards the alpha unless you open it with an avisynth script (e.g FFVideoSource) . A bit of a learning curve for avisynth

Basically you install 32bit avisynth and create a 1 line script . You can do it in notepad, rename the extension to .avs

e.g.
    FFVideoSource("input.mov")

FFMS2 is ffmpegsource2, an external plugin that needs to be downloaded separately
    http://code.google.com/p/ffmpegsource/

You open that avs script in vdub, the other steps are the same

If you answer the other questions, it would help . Otherwise you can use ffmpeg. There are other compression formats that might be more suitable for your application
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I want to use for Pinnacle Studio 17.5
    What is the exact doznload link for FFMS2 ?
    There are many links and no .vdplugin files for the plugins
    Last edited by raudbul; 20th Jun 2014 at 21:19.
    Quote Quote  
  13. use mediainfo (view=>text) on the original MOV, the AVI RGBA file that works . Copy & paste the text back here
    Quote Quote  
  14. Another way to import into all programs with alpha channel is to use an image sequence (e.g. PNG sequence)

Pinnacle is known to cause a lot of problems. Did you try installing quicktime, then importing the MOV natively ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Last edited by raudbul; 20th Jun 2014 at 22:26.
    Quote Quote  
  16. The quicktime uses PNG in MOV ie. lossless compression. That's why the filesize is relatively small compared to the uncompressed RGBA version you had when converted using ffmpeg earlier . Did you try installing quicktime, then importing the MOV directly? That should work in most Windows NLE's

The one that works is only SD, but is uncompressed RGBA as well, the same as your ffmpeg test earlier. Mediainfo doesn't always identify the channel arrangement correctly. Sometimes its a different channel arrangement like BGRA, or ABGR . They are otherwise identical, just "organized" differently. it may produce the wrong colors or flipped image in that software. Sometimes differences in the AVI container can cause problems with certain programs (e.g. pinnacle might not "like" the one from ffmpeg, but if you just re-wrapped/stream copied the same video in vdub, it might work)

An image sequence should work in all programs (even Pinnacle)
    e.g.
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mov -c:v png -pix_fmt rgba -an -start_number 0 output%04d.png

Or you can test some other lossless codecs, for example lagarith, ut video work in most Windows NLE's. But in order to get vdub to pass the alpha channel you need to use avisynth
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Can't thank you enough. It worked.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Which worked? Installing quicktime, or the image sequence?

It's important to give details, so other people with similar problems can get help
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Image sequence. They have to select all the PNG images after dragging them to the timeline and set the duration to 1ms for each. It plays smoothly that way. Thanks a lot dude.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Cheers

Different programs have different ways of importing and treating image sequences (some are able to import them as video, and you assign an FPS)... but if you want to preserve the timing (which may be important for some animations), the source was 29.97 FPS, so you would have a frame duration of 0.0333667s or 33.3667ms (because 1/29.97 = 0.0333667)

Another thing you shouldn't do is delete old posts. The reason is they contain relevant information to the discussion - it can be difficult for other people looking for similar help to follow along. Someone else searching for help deciding if this thread applied to them or not might get confused
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry about that. Thanks for the timing correction
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I have Quicktime Alternative installed and have no problem importing 32-bit png.mov files into any of my NLE's. That is also what I would recommend.......

It's a pity that Virtualdub will only export to 24-bit PNG image sequence or that would have been another option. Another free alternative is to import 32-bit PNG.mov file into Aviutl and export to RGBA Lagarith avi.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!