VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,
    i'm new to the forum and to the video conversion 'world'.

I need to convert my MTS file collection (from a Canon Legria) to MP4 container.
    My frustration is about metadata.

I'm using zeranoe ffmpeg build on windows 8.1. I've tryed both 32 and 64bit static builds.
    I'm doing

Code:
    ffmpeg -i in.mts -vcodec copy -acodec copy -map_metadata 0 out.mp4
    file is OK, but no metadata is copyed from source file.
    I'd like to retain all data from original file, also (if possible by using ffmpeg) the file creation date.

Is there a tool that can help me in this operation?
    Are parameters for ffmpeg wrong?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. The metadata for these cameras (legria covers a wide swath) is generally contained in the card's folder structure, not the video file itself.

Listing the specific model may help. Also, what is your ultimate goal for this conversion? There may be better options.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hello, thanks for answer.

The camera is a Canon Legria HF M32.
    MTS video files have also a .cpi file with same name, which i didn't checked for.

I'd like to import all the videos to OsX iMovie library, while keeping the original files on PC.
    iMovie let me import and use MTS files, but handle them very slowly.
    The MP4 version of the same file seems better for this application, but i don't want to loose metadata for ordering and editing
    Quote Quote  
  4. You may want to take a look at Canon's own software that comes with the camera, also available online if you lost the disk. It has support for spanned clips and does simple editing.

You can also use the sony "cheat" and manually rename your converted files based on your metadata 20140315100840.mp4 (2014-03-15 10:08:40) Or you can use a more sophisticated app like FCPX or Premiere Pro which will import folder structures.

There are a number of cheap softwares that claim to do the conversion, google legeria metadata imovie, but I can't speak for any of them.

ffmpeg can't do it by itself.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I'll try to google using the keywords you suggested.

Thanks for you time.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!