VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Requirements (absolutely must haves, unless specified as a plus):
    1) FAST! If I come to it and press Open button, it must immediately turn on and open the tray, when I close the tray, it should immediately play the disk. I HATE DELAYS!
    2) 802.11n (5GHz is a big plus, 802.11ac is a plus)
    3) Netflix, with FullHD support, with 3D support, WITH SUBTITLE SUPPORT, and its own (or programmable) button on the remote.
    4) Remote control as simple as possible, preferably no stupid digits (although if there is a sliding keyboard as on Vizio TVs it would be REALLY great), WITH SUBTITLE BUTTON (preferably working in Netflix too), with Netflix button. Volume controls on that remote (working through HDMI) is a huge plus!
    5) DLNA and/or SMB, with as wide format support as possible.
    6) Must remember last played point on DVDs and Blu-rays.
    7) No ads that cannot be tuned off forever (do they really make players with ads now? I cannot believe the gall!).

Pluses (REALLY nice to have, but ultimately some of them could be omitted):
    1) USB and SD card with as wide format support as possible, including MPO and mpeg4 in MOV containers
    2) Good reputation of the maker, including in terms of firmware support.
    3) Front-panel display, clock in sleep state.
    4) 2D-to-3D upconversion is a plus, if it works in Netflix too is a huge plus.
    5) 4k upconversion.
    6) good design, more metal, glass and/or hardwood, less plastic.
    7) Preferably under $400, but can go higher if needed to satisfy all requirements, and will pay $50 to $100 for each "plus".
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You should probably look at OPPO's BDP-103. Although it is not within your budget, maybe it includes enough of your extras to justify the added expense.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Requirements - 7) Can't be met.
    6) Mixed bag. Last played point is a function of the disc on BluRay, not the player. Should be OK to find players that can do this for DVDs though.
    3) "with 3D support" - for WHAT exactly? Netflix doesn't stream 3D. Or if they do, then I sure as hell would like somebody to tell me about it and list a title because it's news to me. And what exactly do you mean by "FullHD support"? If you mean 4K, then you are probably too early for that feature to be supported via streaming on a BluRay player.

Your price point is absurd for your requirements given that only Oppo can probably meet them, as usually_quiet points out. Your Pluses are mostly a case of "You're NOT going to get that at any price right now".
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    You should probably look at OPPO's BDP-103. Although it is not within your budget, maybe it includes enough of your extras to justify the added expense.
    I have looked at it. Some reviews say Netflix on it sucks (does it support 1080p and subtitles?). And I cannot find info on how fast it loads and what kind of remote it has.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Requirements - 7) Can't be met.
    I mean not the previews on disks, but ads some players display by themselves (seen it in reviews on Amazon).

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    6) Mixed bag. Last played point is a function of the disc on BluRay, not the player. Should be OK to find players that can do this for DVDs though.
    3) "with 3D support" - for WHAT exactly? Netflix doesn't stream 3D. Or if they do, then I sure as hell would like somebody to tell me about it and list a title because it's news to me.
    Netflix DOES stream DVD. I watched it through PS3. Selection is very poor, but some are there (I watched Beowolf and some nice documentaries, there are many cartoons for kids). I want to watch it in the other room too, on a player which loads FAST.

And what exactly do you mean by "FullHD support"?
    720p=HD, 1080p=FullHD.

If you mean 4K, then you are probably too early for that feature to be supported via streaming on a BluRay player.
    I don't need 4k streaming so far. Although it is in some LG TVs already.

Your price point is absurd for your requirements given that only Oppo can probably meet them, as usually_quiet points out.
    What's there in $500 OPPO which is not in a $200 Panasonic or LG?

Your Pluses are mostly a case of "You're NOT going to get that at any price right now".
    None of them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by peevee View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I have looked at it. Some reviews say Netflix on it sucks (does it support 1080p and subtitles?). And I cannot find info on how fast it loads and what kind of remote it has.
    See this page at Netflix https://help.netflix.com/en/node/9263. Download the BDP 103 manual here:http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP103/BDP-103_User_Manual_English_v1.2.pdf

The remote has numbers on it, but there is an app that allows using a mobile device instead. WiFi is 2.4 GHz only and provided by the included Ethernet to WiFi adapter. Load time is under 30 seconds according to one Amazon reviewer. Nothing plays discs as soon as the tray closes. The disc has to spin up and be read, which is not ever going to happen instantaneously.

That being said, the Oppo BDP-103 is as good a player as you are going to get for anywhere remotely near your budget.

[Edit] I forgot the info on media files: http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-103_Media_Files_FAQ
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Jun 2014 at 01:08.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Buy a sony blu-ray player,i've been installing other ones such as toshiba,samsung,lg and i've found the sony to be the best,others will disagree.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. ... and the Oppo can be made region-free for DVD & Blu-ray.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    See this page at Netflix https://help.netflix.com/en/node/9263. Download the BDP 103 manual here:http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP103/BDP-103_User_Manual_English_v1.2.pdf
    Already do read this, but thanks anyway.

The remote has numbers on it, but there is an app that allows using a mobile device instead. WiFi is 2.4 GHz only and provided by the included Ethernet to WiFi adapter.
    That sucks, but I can live with it, especially if firmware supports other WiFi sticks. The manual says it is a USB stick BTW. Are you sure it is Eth2WiFi?

Load time is under 30 seconds according to one Amazon reviewer. Nothing plays discs as soon as the tray closes. The disc has to spin up and be read, which is not ever going to happen instantaneously.

That being said, the Oppo BDP-103 is as good a player as you are going to get for anywhere remotely near your budget.
    What better satisfies my requirements at far from my budget? Don't say BDP-105D, it is the same thing as my requirements go.

BTW, my computer starts to play much faster. Spin up takes about a second.

Thanks, very useful. Cannot believe a 3D BD player does not support MPO!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Buy a sony blu-ray player,i've been installing other ones such as toshiba,samsung,lg and i've found the sony to be the best,others will disagree.
    Any specific Sony? What is newer and better than 2012 BDP-S790? How about BDP-S6200? It's remote seems to get saner:
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you had already read the manual and link from Netflx , you would not have asked if the Oppo supported 1080p and subtitles for Netflix, nor would you have asked about the remote, since it is shown in the manual. LOL

The remote has numbers on it, but there is an app that allows using a mobile device instead. WiFi is 2.4 GHz only and provided by the included Ethernet to WiFi adapter.
    That sucks, but I can live with it, especially if firmware supports other WiFi sticks. The manual says it is a USB stick BTW. Are you sure it is Eth2WiFi?
    You are correct, the wireless adapter is USB. Something else I read made me think the adapter had an Ethernet connection instead. You need to ask Oppo if any USB adapters other than theirs would work. However, a WiFi to Ethernet adapter is plug and play with any device that has an Ethernet connection.

Load time is under 30 seconds according to one Amazon reviewer. Nothing plays discs as soon as the tray closes. The disc has to spin up and be read, which is not ever going to happen instantaneously.

What better satisfies my requirements at far from my budget? Don't say BDP-105D, it is the same thing as my requirements go.

I don't know what models from other brands priced even further beyond your budget would better satisfy your requirements, since I only looked at models close to your budget. You asked for the best near $300 (with a little more paid for certain extras), and I took you at your word, but reading more of your posts I think you would be happier with a Sony. The Oppo's Qdeo Processing for video, the metal housing and overall better build quality than most current Blu-Ray players are apparently not important considerations for your purposes.

Your computer has a much more powerful processor than a Blu-Ray player, so of course it can read discs more quickly too and start to play them faster. Maybe you should build an HTPC.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Jun 2014 at 11:21. Reason: repeated a word
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We just replaced a Funai Bluray player with a sony and i have to say it definitely loads faster with both blurays and netflix. of course if i had the money, i'd get an oppo.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HemLok View Post
    ... and the Oppo can be made region-free for DVD & Blu-ray.
    Maybe.

I don't own one so I can't speak from personal experience, but some recent reports I've read suggest that this is a lot harder now than it used to be. It may be best for most people to just buy an Oppo from a seller who's already done the mod for you than to buy and try to mod it later.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What the heck is MPO???

The link you refer to says that MPG files don't support external subs, not that MPG itself isn't supported. Perhaps you are misunderstanding what you are reading. Not supporting external subs for MPG files is normal. I defy you to find me a player that actually allows this.

Oh - I should have added this earlier. Do NOT buy Sony if you want region free ever. Period. We get posts all the time from Sony buyers who want to make their players region free and the vast majority of the time it can't be done. In fact, we have no reports of any players sold in the USA/Canada in recent years that consumers can make region free after purchase. A few resellers do sell hardware modified Sony players that are region free, but that's only because they modded them. If you buy a random Sony player in the US that wasn't already modded, you're pretty much out of luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Samsung players are excellent. Get the higher-end models.
    Got the first one in 2011, and the second one last year.
    Excellent for DLNA, BD, DVD and Netflix, plays most formats (FLV,MKV,AVI,MP4,other)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFRKYVM/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=39...I3TS5VMRDZXAGR
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 22nd Jun 2014 at 13:29.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    I'll stick with my OPPO BD-103. Yep, had to bite the bullet to get it a year ago. Used their USB wireless and it streamed Netflix just fine, and worked with the wired Ethernet just as well. But Netflix ain't my bag of tea, so I dropped it after the 6-month gift certificate ran out. Meanwhile it's built like a tank, comes with a 3-year warranty, has a gorgeous picture and sound, beautiful motion control on tricky DVD's and BD's. Plays everything I throw at it, and there are mod outfits that can do almost anything with it. No way I'm trading that for a 90-day plastic box from BestBuy. Even the box it comes in is built better than cheaper players. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 20th Jun 2014 at 11:40.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What the heck is MPO???
    MPO (Multi-Picture Output. aka 3D images)

I have not seen any Blu-Ray players that can display more than jpegs, pngs, and gifs. If he demands one that displays MPOs too, good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    I'll stick with my OPPO BD-103. Yep, had to bite the bullet to get it a year ago. Used their USB wireless and it streamed Netflix just fine, and worked with the wired Ethernet just as well. But Netflix ain't my bag of tea, so I dropped it after the 6-month gift certificate ran out. Meanwhile it's built like a tank, comes with a 3-year warranty, has a gorgeous picture and sound, beautiful motion control on tricky DVD's and BD's. Plays everything I throw at it, and there are mod outfits that can do almost anything with it. No way I'm trading that for a 90-day plastic box from BestBuy. Even the box it comes in is built better than cheaper players. Just my 2 cents.
    I won't ever buy an OPPO. The niceties an OPPO can provide are either not important to me or not useful to me. I'd rather buy a $100 player instead, and spend another $100 to replace it with a newer model in a few years as new features come along. ...but the OP asked for "the best" near a certain dollar figure, and as far as I can tell, that is an OPPO BD-103.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by HemLok View Post
    How?
    Can Sony BDR-S6200 be made region-free?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If you had already read the manual and link from Netflx , you would not have asked if the Oppo supported 1080p and subtitles for Netflix, nor would you have asked about the remote, since it is shown in the manual. LOL
    I have not finished reading it.

You are correct, the wireless adapter is USB. Something else I read made me think the adapter had an Ethernet connection instead. You need to ask Oppo if any USB adapters other than theirs would work. However, a WiFi to Ethernet adapter is plug and play with any device that has an Ethernet connection.
    But it is irrelevant as the WiFi adapter is USB. If it can be replaced with another model, with 5GHz support, it is actually a good thing.

I don't know what models from other brands priced even further beyond your budget would better satisfy your requirements, since I only looked at models close to your budget. You asked for the best near $300 (with a little more paid for certain extras), and I took you at your word, but reading more of your posts I think you would be happier with a Sony. The Oppo's Qdeo Processing for video, the metal housing and overall better build quality than most current Blu-Ray players are apparently not important considerations for your purposes.

Your computer has a much more powerful processor than a Blu-Ray player, so of course it can read discs more quickly too and start to play them faster. Maybe you should build an HTPC.
    HTPC loads forever. Even 7-10 seconds with SSD is too much. Putting it to sleep?
    Sane remotes and interfaces, with one-button access to Netflix and volume? Seems like too much trouble. Although if I can find a really good remote, I certainly can built one.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    How?
    The OPPO is such big fav with videophiles that a number of OPPO mod outfits have been in business for several years. The number of mods they offer can be staggering. And the work raises the price. Caution, though: the movie lobbies work overtime to outlaw mods they don't like, including region mods.

[QUOTE=peevee;2328827]
    Can Sony BDR-S6200 be made region-free?
    Likely not. Maybe you missed post #14: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/365293-Recommend-the-best-Blu-ray-player?p=2328796&...=1#post2328796
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Better build and case design is definitely pluses of BD-103, but remote seems less convenient than the one in S6200, and reviews on Netflix app are not the best. Was the better case itself worth extra $320 over $180 S6200 (given that analogue audio outputs are useless for me)? After all, it is a 2012 model, maybe I need to wait for BD-113. Or maybe they will expand the range with something like BD-111, without analogue outputs at all, but with 3D support for Netflix (or maybe even H.265 support, for Netflix etc).
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    What the heck is MPO???
    MPO (Multi-Picture Output. aka 3D images)

I have not seen any Blu-Ray players that can display more than jpegs, pngs, and gifs. If he demands one that displays MPOs too, good luck.
    Sony and Panasonic Blu-ray players of course support MPO. Samsungs too. LG MP730 too. I am very surprised such an expensive player like Oppo 103 does not support it, seems not a big deal, but still...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But it is irrelevant as the WiFi adapter is USB. If it can be replaced with another model, with 5GHz support, it is actually a good thing.
    My point is that OPPO's USB WiFi is very likely to be the only one that works with thar player. On the other hand, if you can find a Wifi adapter with an Ethernet interface that meets your requirements, it will work.

HTPC loads forever. Even 7-10 seconds with SSD is too much. Putting it to sleep?
    Sane remotes and interfaces, with one-button access to Netflix and volume? Seems like too much trouble. Although if I can find a really good remote, I certainly can built one.
    My point was that your expectation that Blu-Ray players should load a disc as fast as a PC is unrealistic given a Blu-Ray player's lack of processing power. I was being sarcastic by suggesting an HTPC, although I do have one.

Sony and Panasonic Blu-ray players of course support MPO. Samsungs too. LG MP730 too. I am very surprised such an expensive player like Oppo 103 does not support it, seems not a big deal, but still...
    If you want the ability to play MPOs and a simplified remote is much more important to you than build quality or picture quality, then you should certainly buy a Sony.

[Edit]You can buy a BDP-S6200 with hardware/firmware modifications performed by the seller to make it region-free. Warranty will not be through Sony due to the modifications and other factors.

http://www.220-electronics.com/sony-bdp-s6200-region-free-blu-ray-dvd-player.html
    http://www.world-import.com/sony-bdp-s6200-abc-region-free-blu-ray-player.htm
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Jun 2014 at 14:29. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can also just extract the video with makemkv and most blu-ray players that play mkv will play pal mkv.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!