VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am based in the UK and am looking for a PVR that will record Freeview and enable me to transfer unencrypted HD videos from the PVR to a PC. From what I understand most models only allow SD content transfer. Are there any models which allow HD transfer without encryption or encryption that is easily cracked?

Plus I am looking for a pvr that will allow me to plug in an external usb hard drive and play media files from it.

Does anyone know of anything that may be suitable?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not gonna happen without additional equipment.

Most, if not all, HD signals sent over hdmi will have copy protection aka hdcp. To circumvent that protection you will need a hdmi splitter which also contains a hdcp stripper. There is a very long thread in the forum about these strippers.

I can not recommend a freeview HD pvr but I did a quick search and found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Stream-DHR8205U-Set-Top-Freeview/dp/B003OVECH4/ref=sr_...s=freeview+pvr

I assume you DID mean 'Freeview' and not 'Freesat'

And to get your recordings in to your PC you will also need a HD capture device.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sorry but I don't really understand your reply. Many of the PVR that I have seen allow the transferring of videos via the usb port on the device. For SD content this is simple but for HD the recordings can still be copied via usb but will not play due to encryption. I am not talking about sending anything from HDMI to the PC.

One example is the Digital Stream DHR8203U, which I believe allows you to copy SD content to a pc but has the HD content encrypted. So I am looking for a PVR like this but with no encryption on the HD or encryption that is easily hacked.
    Last edited by david151; 18th Jun 2014 at 14:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I also misunderstood what you were asking. I will try to expand but, hopefully, simplify my reply.

1. You probably have at present a simple freeview box with no recording capability. That simply connects to you tv. If the box is HD then you are connecting this to your tv with a hdmi cable.
    2. I assumed that you want to turn this existing setup to one that can record the tv programs also in HD. So again it is connected to the tv with a hdmi cable
    3. The recordings stay in the unit just as they do with a SKY HD+ Box
    4. I tried to explain the simple fact that any HD recording is encrypted. A tv is hdcp compliant so will process that but of you want to get the recording on to a PC you need more equipment.
    5. Since you mention USB I think I know where you are coming from. You are probably thinking more like a Hauppauge PVR or similar which connects to the PC via USB. The difference with this is that the recording is not done by your freeview box but by connecting that to the hauppuage and it is your PC that does the recording. Whilst this is described as a PVR it is really a capture device which was the 2nd piece of equipment I was referring to.
    6. So your choices are simple. If you just want to record what you are viewing on your existing Freeview box your still need the splitter/stripper and the hauppuage or similar.
    7. If your want to record independently before transfer to your PC you need the unit I linked to, the splitter/stripper and the hauppuage or similar.
    Quote Quote  
  5. No you misunderstood what I am saying. There are a number of PVR recorders on the market which let you transfer the video to a usb hard drive. Digital Stream DHR8203U is one of them and also a number of Topfield models. HDCP does not even come into it as that is concerned with HDMI. I am on about transfering the video from the usb ports on PVR like the Digital Stream DHR8203U or Topfield.

Simple question which PVRs support the tranfer of HD content through their USB ports
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My guess is that manufacturers are required to apply encryption to HD recordings on a USB drive as a condition for selling their products in the UK. The government probably wants to ensure that HD recordings cannot easily be shared with others who have not paid for a TV license.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by david151 View Post
    No you misunderstood what I am saying. There are a number of PVR recorders on the market which let you transfer the video to a usb hard drive. Digital Stream DHR8203U is one of them and also a number of Topfield models. HDCP does not even come into it as that is concerned with HDMI. I am on about transfering the video from the usb ports on PVR like the Digital Stream DHR8203U or Topfield.

Simple question which PVRs support the tranfer of HD content through their USB ports
    None.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    My guess is that manufacturers are required to apply encryption to HD recordings on a USB drive as a condition for selling their products in the UK. The government probably wants to ensure that HD recordings cannot easily be shared with others who have not paid for a TV license.
    If this is the case anyone know if the encryption (relatively easily) has been cracked on any PVR?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I would have thought that the 'encryption' that is passed over USB is the hdcp that I refered to earlier. Since it is the PVR that controls the USB drive and plays back the recording to the hdcp-compliant tv (and they have to be else no one would see anything) there is no need for anything else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am based in the UK and am looking for a PVR that will record Freeview and enable me to transfer unencrypted HD videos from the PVR to a PC. From what I understand most models only allow SD content transfer. Are there any models which allow HD transfer without encryption or encryption that is easily cracked?

Plus I am looking for a pvr that will allow me to plug in an external usb hard drive and play media files from it.

I use an ATSC tuner box Mediasonic Homeworx HW-150PVR bought late last year that allows plugging a USB drive to it, recording HD content off the air, plugging drive to PC, then viewing contents as unencrypted editable *.mp4 files. There may be a UK counterpart of it.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am based in the UK and am looking for a PVR that will record Freeview and enable me to transfer unencrypted HD videos from the PVR to a PC. From what I understand most models only allow SD content transfer. Are there any models which allow HD transfer without encryption or encryption that is easily cracked?

I would pose your question to the UK Topfield users forum http://www.toppy.org.uk/ Many years ago I has a Topfield 5000 and both the Australian forum, long defunct and the UK forum were very helpful.

You could check on the Venton, based on the Linux Enigma PVR, but I don't know if there is a UK suitable model?

http://www.satshop.fi/digiboksit/dvb-t2/venton-unibox-hd3.html?___store=default&___from_store=fi

http://linux-tv.com/receiver/venton-unibox-hd2-review/

http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/products.php?id=13 Australian model
    Last edited by netmask56; 18th Jun 2014 at 20:15.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well I would have thought that the 'encryption' that is passed over USB is the hdcp that I refered to earlier. Since it is the PVR that controls the USB drive and plays back the recording to the hdcp-compliant tv (and they have to be else no one would see anything) there is no need for anything else.
    It probably isn't HDCP. As far as I know HDCP encryption is for DisplayPort, DVI, and HDMI.

I did find something which indicates that Freview HD broadcasts include a copy protection flag that tells the DVR whether to apply encryption or not when copying programming to a USB drive or optical media. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/14/bbc_offcom_freeview_hd_controls/ It isn't likely that Freeview HD DVRs that use their EPG will ignore the copy protection flag.
    Quote Quote  
  13. You said that it isn't likely that Freeview HD DVRs that use their EPG will ignore the copy protection flag. But are there any PVR where you can load a custom linux distro on? Also what about none branded / Chinese manufactured PVR - do they really care about making sure their software implements copy protection?

Lastly if none of the commerical PVR will ignore the copy protection flag, are there any which use encryption which has been widely cracked?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @u_q

Thanks for that linked. Kinda makes sense otherwise all one would have to do is unplug the external usb drive, connect it to a PC and with the right OS (to circumvent any low-level system probably Linux based) directly copy.

Still, I do not see any issue in copy/recording from the hdmi port at playback since the PVR now has full control.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You said that it isn't likely that Freeview HD DVRs that use their EPG will ignore the copy protection flag. But are there any PVR where you can load a custom linux distro on? Also what about none branded / Chinese manufactured PVR - do they really care about making sure their software implements copy protection?

Lastly if none of the commerical PVR will ignore the copy protection flag, are there any which use encryption which has been widely cracked?
    Living in the USA I am not in a position to tell you if there are any generic Chinese set-top PVRs for sale in the UK which will ignore the copy protection flag or any PVRs that will accept alternate firmware, or any PVRs that use an encryption method which has been cracked. However, I suspect that looking for them is a wast of time.

The article hints that you could find a DVB-T2 TV tuner card and build an HTPC. Myth TV, Linux PVR software, does not care about copy protection flags. I doubt that NextPVR or any other free PVR software for Windows would honor the flag either. However, Windows 7's Media Center is likely to honor the flag.

Otherwise you could take DB83's suggestion and get an HDMI capture device plus an HDMI stripper and re-record the programming you want to keep onto a PC.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Jun 2014 at 08:58.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I am aware that I could make a PVR myself from a PC or go down the HDMI capture route, however I just wanted one neat little box that would sit under my TV, and particularly something which my elderly mother could use as well.

From my research some of the copy protection is so strict that HD content won't even play on another device which is exactly the same model number. Is there really no PVR out there which is easy to hack or a generic Chinese one that does not care about the copy protection flags?

Surely someone must have hacked something?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Humax HDR FOX-T2 PVR (500GB), with custom firmware, can transfer SD and HD recording via Network to a PC.
    Dunno about any newer Humax models.
    You could go here, http://hummypkg.org.uk/ and check out the Wiki etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course this particular model is OOP. Amazon does have one (used) which costs as much as the newer models

There does not appear to be any custom firmware for later models. Maybe the cps changed(BBC have a habit of doing so) and they could not crack it.

And dealing with any firmware change, official or not, gives ample opportunity to 'brick' the unit.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!