VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All,

Hopefully I'm posting in the correct forum. I use a Toshiba D-VR610KU unit to transfer VHS tapes to DVD. It is a realtime encoder. I typically record to DVD+RWs and then copy the Video_TS folder to my hard drive and burn a permanent dvd-r from there. This process has worked fine for years. I have a vhs tape that was recorded in xp mode, so it has about 4:08 worth of material on it. I changed the record mode of the Toshiba to EP which allows 6 hours to be burned to dvd. I know its a huge quality hit, but it's fine for this content. When I pop the finalized dvd+rw into my mac it tells me that the video_ts folder is 6.14gb, which obviously is impossible. It seems like the VTS is getting duplicated in terms of what the computer thinks is in the folder. When I try to copy the video_ts folder to my mac I get the error message here: Click image for larger version

Name:	FinderScreenSnapz001.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	25745
    When I play the disc in the DVD Player software and select the first title from the menu (there is always a second empty title on these discs) it indicates that it is playing title 1 of 4. When I open the video_ts folder in MyDVDEdit it seems like vts02 is what gets played when selecting the first title button. Screen shot of myDVDEdit: Click image for larger version

Name:	myDVDEditScreenSnapz001.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	25747
    Here's a screenshot of the disc contents from the finder: Click image for larger version

Name:	FinderScreenSnapz002.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	25748
    So clearly something is going on with a second vts structure being 'seemingly' created, although technically it can't exist on the disc due to the size. Does anyone have any clue as to what is going on here? FWIW I repeated the capture/author with a different disc and got the same result.

Thanks,
    CJ
    Last edited by catalano; 16th Jun 2014 at 10:13. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This is a good post and I am surprised nobody has yet answered it. I don't claim to be an expert here, but some answer is better than nothing. Toshiba uses something called VR mode or VRO (not sure which is right) that is probably causing what you see. I read DVDShrink may be able to reauthor a new DVD from your source disc that would be the correct size to burn to a single layer DVD. Maybe I can get the ball rolling on other answers.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the response.
    Yes, the disc is recorded in VR mode, but I had believed that performing the 'finalization' made it just like any other disc. Not sure, though. I'll take a look at dvdshrink and report back.

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    This is a good post and I am surprised nobody has yet answered it. I don't claim to be an expert here, but some answer is better than nothing. Toshiba uses something called VR mode or VRO (not sure which is right) that is probably causing what you see. I read DVDShrink may be able to reauthor a new DVD from your source disc that would be the correct size to burn to a single layer DVD. Maybe I can get the ball rolling on other answers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Finalization makes it PLAY like any other DVD-Video disc, but it doesn't undo it's structure. In summary, all it does is change pointers around and close the disc session from burning.

It is the player/app that has to figure this out. Players that are intending to just PLAY the disc will look to the traditional VIDEO_TS.IFO and read the pointers (which might take them to a "VRO" file instead of an expected "VOB"). Doesn't matter to the player as long as certain things are compliant and the file looks right and is positioned at the right point to play.

It DOES make a big difference WRT ripping, as a ripper has to traverse ALL the pointers and extract the data in a manner that is consistent with traditional DVD-Video VOBs (or with standard MPEG2 Program Streams if it does that). So a ripper has to be a LOT smarter. My guess is: that one isn't.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!