VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys
    I have been using Pot Player for a year now and really like it.

I thought it was time I updated it.

If I download the latest version and then install it will it keep my settings or will I have to re-do them
    Quote Quote  
  2. In theory it should keep them, but a year is quite a while and PotPlayer has changed a bit, for example they added Open Codecs, that you download during installation.
    What I usually do, before bigger update of any important program is backing up all its files/folders to a different disc. But in this case first you can export settings: Preferences and click Export Presets.
    Then back up of PotPlayer's folders (for Win7)- C:\Program Files (x86)\DAUM\PotPlayer or C:\Program Files\DAUM\PotPlayer ,for x64 version and C:\Users\(User's name)\AppData\Roaming\PotPlayerMini
    I assume that you still have installer exe of your present PotPlayer version, so you can tactically return to it for a time being .

Of course a clean install would be the best, but I know that in case of PotPlayer there is a lot of setting up to be redone.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AllisOne View Post
    In theory it should keep them, but a year is quite a while and PotPlayer has changed a bit, for example they added Open Codecs, that you download during installation.
    What I usually do, before bigger update of any important program is backing up all its files/folders to a different disc. But in this case first you can export settings: Preferences and click Export Presets.
    Then back up of PotPlayer's folders (for Win7)- C:\Program Files (x86)\DAUM\PotPlayer or C:\Program Files\DAUM\PotPlayer ,for x64 version and C:\Users\(User's name)\AppData\Roaming\PotPlayerMini
    I assume that you still have installer exe of your present PotPlayer version, so you can tactically return to it for a time being .

Of course a clean install would be the best, but I know that in case of PotPlayer there is a lot of setting up to be redone.
    I can see the need to export my PP settings.

Why do you suggest backing up up the PP folder - is this just in case the installation goes bad, or you want to revert to the older version ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    See this other thread for more details.

PotPlayer now has a setting to "store settings to INI file". So you can check that to create your current customizations in an INI file format.

When you install a new version of the program, you need to once again go into Preferences and check that "store settings to INI file" box. PP will then save your existing INI file as BAK, and create a brand new default INI (with none of your previous settings in it).

Then close the program, delete the new INI file and rename your old BAK file back to INI, and re-open the program. You'll now have all of your old customizations back in effect.

Any new features of the new version of the program are obviously not going to be reflected in your old renamed INI, so you'll get default behavior from the program for these. But you can see the new options and modify as you want, and your INI file will then be updated to reflect these new customizations. So next time you repeat a version upgrade and the BAK->INI rename again, you'll now have these more recent customizations from your more recent INI.

Etc., etc.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!