VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I was informed in another thread that it may be possible to block out nudity and other scenes by using a subtitle file, edited so that the entire layer, usually opaque, is black.

Is this a viable process? I know I have to go beyond the basic SRT file, maybe an SSA, etc. Any point in the right direction would be really helpful.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If that's what you REALLY want to do, especially if there were some problem with nudity. Me, I was always a little fond of it.

You could always just use extended ASCII/ANSI characters without having to resort to opaque background boxes or further subs-type attributes.

For example, Unicode #2588 is "Full Block":
    Code:
    ██████████
    ██████████
    (That was 10 characters in 2 lines)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    It's a shame to cover it all up, but you know.

That, actually, would be a grand idea -- I just have no idea where to start entering in ASCII/ANSI characters into a SRT (UTF-8 encoded). My knowledge of SRT-type subs are pretty basic and it seems like entering the different values for the full block ascii isn't working.

Is this something you can provide more information on?
    Last edited by Sades; 15th Jun 2014 at 00:58.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please ONLY discuss how to block with subs.

I will delete everything else. You can discuss nudity in some other forum.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Get Aegisub (http://www.aegisub.org/) and study it.
    SSA4+ or ASS subtitles can set the coordinate of each line of subtitle.

BUT is this really what you want? Subtitle(via external file) can be switched off easily, rendering the blocking almost meaningless.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks! I'll take a look at Aegisub, but I heard this will mess with the original video encoding which is a blue-ray rip. I'm looking for the best way to black out certain scenes without touching the video or audio quality in the mkv and subtitles were a great suggestion but they seem to be an entire world of their own.

And yes, easily applying and reapplying the black out scenes is actually better than what I'd originally had wanted!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Have you tried just using the standard Windows Character Map App ([Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Character Map])? You can copy & paste into your subs app and see if it accepts the BLOCK or not.

If unicode is a problem, Windows' Terminal font uses the same block at 0xDB in the ASCII set (but you'd have to make sure that when pasted, it displays correctly with the players' system font). If that becomes more of a mess, then I would recommend a more versatile & capable subs format (that accepts Unicode).

Or, use picture-based sub formats, if your system supports those (e.g. VobSub, Sup, PGS, etc). Once you create the window block, it'll always look correct in every player (that supports pic-subs).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Scott -- you are a genius. The Windows Character Map app worked like a charm. Technically, it "whites out" the screen, but it does exactly as needed when applied in VLC Player. This is perfect and you've have given me an invaluable tool.

Thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's all good!

Glad to help.

Scott

Everyone enjoy Father's Day today, and cherish them while you've still got them.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!