VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    does anybody know some links where I can download XAVC S sample footage straight from cam? Maybe you can post a XAVC S structure by yourself if you have such a cam.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    IDK, have you checked dvinfo.net or heck!, typing in "XAVC sample footage" in Google brings up: http://www.zsyst.com/2013/06/sony4k-sample-footage/.

The main difference between the various XAVC and the various XAVC-S formats is the wrapper: MXF for pro XAVC and MP4 for consumer XAVC-S. So you could try those XAVC samples and then rewrap them with e.g. ffmpeg and try again...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder why the 1080p version has a resolution of 2048 x 1080 instead of the usual 1920 x 1080? Looks like it's all "I-frames"......
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    2048x1080 is the Film DCI 2k spec (~equivalent to Broadcast TV FHD 1920x1080, and usually at 24fps). XAVC accommodates both.

In the current Sony implementations, the higher mode options are all I-frame (though LongGOP is allowed), but IIRC, the proxy option is always Long GOP. Remember, these are intended to be edited/editable.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 14th Jun 2014 at 19:11.
    Quote Quote  
  5. thx cornucopia, which really help me make clear understand about the difference of XAVC and XAVC S, did anybody know how to deal with XAVC formats, cause I can't load them into premiere pro. Of course, I refered many forum and someone said you can transcode to mpeg, but I just wonder any better way to deal with this XAVC ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    XAVC is a specific profile of AVC (5.2, IIRC). Which v of PPro do you have? Because CC ought to have no problems with it.

Maybe remuxing (ffmpeg) and/or changing the profile header to "fake" a lower profile might temporarily work. Shouldn't need to re-encode; that kind of defeats the whole point of its benefits.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post a small sample (10 sec or less).
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    The guy asks if anyone knows how to deal with XAVC files, he says he can't import them into Premiere Pro and you say to post a small 10 sec sample. Just LOL. If he knew how to cut a small sample then he wouldn't be asking on how to deal with them.

Seriously, some the responses you guys give to people asking for help in this forum is just unbelievable.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sony wants to sell you catalyst browse or catalyst prepare for conversion. They do state that the newest version of Premiere CC decodes XAVC S directly.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    The guy asks if anyone knows how to deal with XAVC files, he says he can't import them into Premiere Pro and you say to post a small 10 sec sample. Just LOL. If he knew how to cut a small sample then he wouldn't be asking on how to deal with them.
    He could shoot a clip that's less than :10 long.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post

Seriously, some the responses you guys give to people asking for help in this forum is just unbelievable.
    I assumed he had the camera and could shoot a 10 sec shot. Your responses is close-minded however. Some people actually shoot video that they need to edit.

Anyway you could try re-packing into an mov container with ffmpeg. Maybe Premier will take it in.

ffmpeg -i inputvideo -c copy -f mov out.mov
    Last edited by racer-x; 17th Apr 2015 at 11:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had a little free time today and downloaded the XAVC_HD_120p_at_23.98p clip. It is AVC yuv 4:2:2 and that is what I believe your problem is. I don't use Premiere, so I can't help you directly. However sophisticles (with all his wisdom ?) does. Maybe he can figure it out for you, just don't hold your breath......

Here's what I do know. I have Vegas 10 and it won't load the MXF or the repacked MOV because of the AVC 4:2:2 issue. There may be a special plugin that will load that, but I don't know for sure. I also have Aviutl (free) that will load the repacked AVC 4:2:2 mov without issues.

So from what I see, you either have to transcode to intermediate codec, or use some special plugin to support the AVC 4:2:2 mxf files. It may just require a newer version of Premiere Pro, but again I don't know.

Just for kicks (and because I can), I edited a small section in Aviutl and exported to vp9 to keep size down.....
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!