VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. There are times when I wish to learn which VOB files of an unencrypted DVD correspond to a given title.

Say, for example, I have a decrypted DVD containing 4 separate titles (four episodes of a TV series). There are 14 VOB files, but I don't know which of them correspond to each individual title.

What is the easiest way to determine this info using Windows?

Thanks
    Last edited by EmmB; 14th Jun 2014 at 03:21. Reason: Simplified question
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It doesn't work that way. VOB files are normally created at 999 megabyte intervals by DVD authoring software with ZERO regard for episodes and their length. If an episode's file size is larger than 999MB then it will span across two VOB files.
    However if you see 4 VOB files around the same size and under 999MB, it's a pretty safe bet that those 4 are your episodes.
    Just play each VOB file with VLC or something similar an check them yourself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Adding to what hech54 states, if the dvd folder has files VTS_02, VTS_3 etc then the other episodes should be contained in those vob files.

But it does depend on the authoring process since the episodes could be created as chapters of one vobset and then all will reside in VTS_01
    Quote Quote  
  4. My thanks to both hech54 and DB83 for their patient replies!

I'm quite embarrassed for asking, since I actually already knew that. Some kind of spurious brain fart must've blocked my memory!

Sorry for wasting your time...
    Quote Quote  
  5. I use the program MakeMKV, it's freeware. Say you have a disc with a movie on it and some previews, it will just load the biggest file first for ripping.

But to answer your original question - you can load VOB files in VLC - you can get it at videolan.org
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You weren't hoping to see the actual episode name in Windows Explorer were you?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!