VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Let's say I have a 90 gig video file on drive D: and I want to split it up into specific-size segments and send them to drive E: to ultimately archive on Blu-Ray - i.e. so none of the segments are too big to fit on a Blu-Ray disk.

Does an app like that exist?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes.

Do you need them to be playable in their parts? Or just when put back together?

Because 7z/Zip/Rar with file-disc-spanning could do it (the latter), as well as the common "HJ Split" (or similar permutations).

If you need the former, you can use a number of cutter apps. Virtualdub specifically has an AVI export/save option that allows you to limit by size. You can also use Cuttermaran for MPEG, and I'm sure there are other apps out there (just haven't looked up this feature in a while as the need for it has declined greatly).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Yes.

Do you need them to be playable in their parts? Or just when put back together?
    Just when put back together. Just as a backup in the event of drive failure so I don't lose the file.

Virtualdub specifically has an AVI export/save option that allows you to limit by size.
    It appears to be "Save segmented avi". Hadn't explored this before.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    BTW, if you do this, I STRONGLY recommend you save an Un-cut copy of the whole length audio file, whether as the main audio or in addition. Avoids getting glitches in the samples. Good as a reference (when in addition), and doesn't use up much overall space (compared to the video).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. MKVMergeGUI should be able to do it (it has a "split after size" option). It can also link the split files so a player which supports linked MKVs will play them as a single file. It'll also open various file types (output is always MKV).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't use MKVMerge on a Blu Ray M2TS file with TrueHD audio if you intend to put it back on a Blu Ray. But for general purpose/multicodec video storage/cutting MKVMerge would be the best option.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Guest34343
    If you just want binary split, there is DGSplit also.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!