VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DVD & Blu-ray Is the Past, PGMX Is the Future.
    One File Includes Video, Menus, Slideshows, Subtitles and Audio.
    Introducing PGMX, a next generation original Pegasys file format that can store menu, video data and more in a single file. Create DVD / Blu-ray styled navigation menus, add a photo slideshow, subtitles, multiple audio streams and more without the limitations of physical media discs. TMPGEnc PGMX CREATOR allows you to do it all with an easy to use interface that allows you to create custom menus or use pre-made templates. Smart rendering (lossless editing) and support for many types of video files make it easy to start creating PGMX files.
    http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tpxc.html

Preview trial download:
    http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tpxc.html

The lossless editing sounds good. But as it requires a special player I doubt it's gonna be that big.

What do you think?
    Quote Quote  
  2. It seems cool. But it's doubtful it will be the next big thing. It will probably remain a niche for some.
    Quote Quote  
  3. [QUOTE=Baldrick;2327279]
    The lossless editing sounds good. But as it requires a special player I doubt it's gonna be that big.
    I don't believe in Pegasys' lossless editing. Its smart rendering is out of control and not predictable (hence I switched to VideoReDo).

Utilizes the x264 video encoder. Smart rendering (lossless editing) for compliant formats. What are not compliant formats? SD only? What about 4K it claims to support? Will it be muxed only or smart rendered by x264
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok, so it's built upon MKV container, not bad.

Problem I see is that there is no support for this format beyond this player, and this player is only available on Windows 7/8/8.1 PCs. Plus, you are still limited in what codecs are allowed (AVC only for video? looks like that's what it said). There's a heck of a lot of hardware & OS/Software branches to accommodate in our modern world. "Just Win7/8 boxes" won't cut it anymore.

Also, don't really know how intricate the menu structure capability IS with MKV, but part of the coolness of DVD/BD navigation is in the interactive "Virtual Machine" control. Don't think that's available here, so doesn't come close, IMO.

And it's not clear whether the slideshow capability for albums (folders) of photos is as a sidecar file or whether the photos have been embedded/encapsulated in the pgmx (mkv) container. Good and bad points to both ways.

Scott

<edit> OMG! That install download is god-awful HUGE!</edit>
    Quote Quote  
  5. DVD & Blu-ray Is the Past, PGMX Is the Future.
    The future, or present for many of us, is a set-top media player like Roku, Fire TV, WD TV, etc. If this new format cannot be played by set-top boxes and game consoles it's doomed to limited appeal.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  6. This sounds like the software I've been looking for forever to do lossless home movie compliations. But as folks have been saying here, the hard part is future acceptance of the PGMX container.

(...Must have the discipline to NOT download this until after this week's other projects are done... getting ...weaker)
    Quote Quote  
  7. This reminds me of DIVX Ultra. Divx Ultra was pretty neat, but the drawback I found was that once you put your various files into this format with the menus that one couldn't deconstruct it to get back your individual files such as an episode. So as much as liked Divx Ultra I just began the practice of putting the files on DATA Discs or hard drives. Of course I shouldn't of deleted my original individual files after I got them converted to the Divx Ultra format, but we live and learn.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I entered and was notified tonight that I won a free copy. I'll give it a try when I have more time.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Everything seems to work fine, but I have no confidence in the future universality of the PGMX container or player.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Everything seems to work fine, but I have no confidence in the future universality of the PGMX container or player.
    kaleem
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @smrpix, when did you move to pakistan?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is this just the first commercial product to actually implement the MKV interactivity (menu) capabilities from the MKV specification????
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Only way to tell would be to rename the file extension to MKV and see if it works. Let us know how it goes...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Way back when HD-DVD was "the next best thing". Blu-Ray blew it into the weeds.

We'll see
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got a free copy and tried to convert a dvd to see if I could get the menus to work, and it was more involved than I felt like getting into at the moment. If anyone has successfully completed a project with it I'd like to hear about it.

I have been using Vidcoder reliably for all my simple encodes, and actually have not used any of my TMPGEnc arsenal for quite some time.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by noemi7 View Post
    (hence I switched to VideoReDo). [i]Utilizes the x264 video encoder.
    Yes but VRD only has the x264 encoder available in the Professional version, but you need to pay $250us for Pro, then another $50us to unlock the x264 encoder, otherwise it uses the mainconcept h264 encoder by default.

I currently use VRD Pro with the unlocked x264 encoder myself, and i absolutely love VRD for all my video editing needs.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!