VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a foreign 'movie only' Blu-ray rip that I would like the english subs to appear by default, without needing to re-encode. Is there a tool I can use to turn then on upon play?
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's according to what you are using for playback, for instance, if not a blu-ray player, some media players like to use srt or perhaps other sub formats.

As of now, we have no idea what you are using for playback so can't answer specifically.
    You could also burn-in subs, something I would never do.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can also add it in the authoring step. But I don't know any software that let you edit it directly without reauthoring everything. Maybe bdedit.
    Quote Quote  
  4. IIRC, you can do it with BDRB, in the main window listing the streams just right-click the sub and turn it on. Then Backup. This will work with no re-encode if the target size is larger than what you have. It will simply rebuild the BD.

Or you can use BDEdit:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/339644-Default-Subtitles?p=2112008&viewfull=1#post2112008
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
    It's according to what you are using for playback, for instance, if not a blu-ray player, some media players like to use srt or perhaps other sub formats.

As of now, we have no idea what you are using for playback so can't answer specifically.
    You could also burn-in subs, something I would never do.
    Blu-ray rip (Blu-ray structure) to BD-R for playback on a stand-alone player. I used DVDFab to rip the movie. and only wish it had a setting to enable a stream by default like DVD Shrink does for DVD's.

Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    You can also add it in the authoring step. But I don't know any software that let you edit it directly without reauthoring everything. Maybe bdedit.
    Thank you Baldrick.

Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    IIRC, you can do it with BDRB, in the main window listing the streams just right-click the sub and turn it on. Then Backup. This will work with no re-encode if the target size is larger than what you have. It will simply rebuild the BD.

Or you can use BDEdit:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/339644-Default-Subtitles?p=2112008&viewfull=1#post2112008
    Thank you sir. I do know this about BD-RB, but was just trying to avoid re-building the BD. Was hoping for a tool (maybe BDedit does) that could just turn on the flag.
    Last edited by louv68; 13th Jun 2014 at 09:11.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  6. Okay, BDEdit is what you want. Make the changes and save. I've been meaning to post some screenshots, but haven't got around to it yet. It's quite simple to do though. Follow the steps in the link.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Okay, BDEdit is what you want. Make the changes and save. I've been meaning to post some screenshots, but haven't got around to it yet. It's quite simple to do though. Follow the steps in the link.
    I'm not sure what I did wrong as I followed the steps very carefully, but BDedit did not work. Do you know if there are instances where a Blu-ray is mastered in such a way, that this BDedit method just doesn't work? Thank you regardless. Much appreciated. I could always turn on the subtitles with the remote, but I know my OCD will bug me.
    Last edited by louv68; 14th Jun 2014 at 15:41.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  8. I dunno, it invariably works for me. I always extract main movie first with Clown_BD, with DVDFabPasskey running in the background.

I wonder, how did you extract main movie? Maybe if you ran it through Clown_BD to remap it before doing the changes with BDEdit?

Just a wild guess.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I ripped it with DVDFab. You would think with as long as DVDFab has been out, they would have an option to turn on a selected sub by default.

I figured rebuilding the BD would be the easiest option in this case, so that's what I did and it works fine now.

Thank you again for all your assistance. If you ever get a chance to do screenshots, or write up a manual for BDedit, that would be immensely helpful.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by louv68 View Post
    If you ever get a chance to do screenshots, or write up a manual for BDedit, that would be immensely helpful.
    I can do a mini guide for turning on a sub stream or setting default audio. I'll get around to it, I promise.

As to writing a guide for BDEdit, I wish I understood it well enough to do that. It's fiendishly difficult. There's a lengthy thread at you-know-where (D9), but nobody seems to realize the damn thing needs a comprehensive guide to be of any use. I guess it's just an academic exercise for those guys.

Anyway, I suspect BDEdit didn't work for your foreign BD because the structure is not standard in some particular (maybe the stream numbering, I dunno). Though I bet if you ran your rip through Clown_BD to remap it, it would then work.

Anyway, good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Okay, I did a run through with version 39b and the method no longer works for this version. So you did nothing wrong, nor is there a problem with your BD structure.

Instead of entering the subtitle stream number in the top box just to the left of the two check boxes, you have to enter it in the center *HEX* box just above the three set boxes. Same for setting a default audio stream. Everything else as before. And each time you set a new command, save it before doing anything else! Otherwise, those boxes where you set "Imm" have a way of reverting to "GPR". Sheesh.

I took screen shots and will post tomorrow. It took me a while to work this out, but I verified it with PowerDVD.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  12. How to use BDEdit v.39b to set default audio stream and turn on a subtitle in a movie-only BD rip.

(* Note that if you download the supposedly latest version (040), the executable will say BDEdit040 but the program says it's v.39b.)

1) Make a copy of your entire Blu-Ray folder somewhere on your computer. This copy is for editing; keep the original just in case you make a mistake. You may eventually get confident enough to skip this step. Also in "Options" you can enable backups and specify a folder to put the backups in. I think there's less chance for confusion/mistakes if you just work on a copy to start with.

2) Analyze the folder with BDinfo. You need to know the ordering of the audio/subtitle streams.

For this guide, I chose the movie Hero (movie release 2002, Blu-Ray release 2009). I want the default audio to be Chinese and to turn on the main English subtitles (translation of the Chinese audio, not commentary). Note that the audio stream wanted is listed second, after the English dubbed stream. The subtitles wanted are listed first.

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.png
Views:	1940
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	25798

3) Open the ripped folder with BDEdit and click "Read".

Name:	02.png
Views:	1974
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	25799

4) On the right side there are two fields. Click the "+" next to the lower field; this creates a new line for the command you're going to add. Click on the new line (NOP).

Name:	03.png
Views:	1902
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	25800

5) On the three drop-down boxes at the bottom left of the field, do the following, starting from left to right: "Set" for the first box, "Set System" for the second one, and "Set Stream" for the third. In that order.

Name:	04.png
Views:	1804
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	25801

6) There are to the right of the three set boxes two more drop-down boxes, stacked one on top of the other. Set both to "Imm".

Name:	05.png
Views:	1718
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	25802

7) Now you're going to enter the stream number in the center "Hex" box. For turning on a subtitle, the values are from 49153 for the first subtitle stream, 49154 for the second subtitle stream, and so on. If you only have one it's easy, enter "49153". (Make sure the two stacked check boxes all the way to the right are ticked.) Save before you do anything else.

Name:	06.png
Views:	1892
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	25803

8) For turning on a specific audio stream (making it the default) the procedure is the same, the values starting at 80010000 for the first stream, 80020000 for the second, and so on. Hit Save. Each command requires creating a new line, BTW, by clicking the "+" button.

Name:	07.png
Views:	1622
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	25804

Name:	08.png
Views:	1538
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	25805
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for this mini-tutorial Fritzi93. I've looked at BDEdit a few times, but just haven't had the time or mental energy to try and learn it. One question...where did you get the values for the subtitle and audio streams? Do these hold true for all Blu-ray movies?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Thanks for this mini-tutorial Fritzi93. I've looked at BDEdit a few times, but just haven't had the time or mental energy to try and learn it. One question...where did you get the values for the subtitle and audio streams? Do these hold true for all Blu-ray movies?
    IIRC, those values can be found in the BDEdit thread, but you gotta wade through a lot of posts.

I'm not taking credit here. There was a post in (I think) the Slysoft forum several years ago, where I first read how to turn a subtitle on. Or maybe the DVDFab forum. I tried it and it worked. Then I tried setting default audio the same way and that worked. I dunno which version of BDEdit that was, but it had to have been several versions ago. BTW, most entries in the changelog have to do with bug fixes, but also the program has seen a lot of changes under the hood.

I didn't use the old method very often, but it always worked. When louv68 reported it didn't, I got the latest version and it didn't work for me either. I did some searching and found mention of an alternate method for setting default audio by entering the stream number as a hex value. That worked with the latest version of BDEdit. Then I tried turning a subtitle on the same way and that worked too.

AFAIK, the above should work for all (?) movie-only rips. Who knows though what will happen when (if?) the next version of BDEdit comes out?

I hope someone would be so kind as to give it a go and report back.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 18th Jun 2014 at 17:59.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much fritzi93 for taking the time to post your tutorial. I'm sure many here including myself greatly appreciate your efforts. If I come across another foreign movie-only rip that I need english subs on by default, I will surely report back.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lovejelly View Post
    DVDFab has the function for Implantation of subtitles by defult. TDMore dvd copy can also achieve what you want.
    I've never seen that setting in DVDFab? Can you show us how please? Thanks.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by louv68; 19th Jun 2014 at 06:53.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  17. I've followed some 3-4 different 'techniques' including this one with BDEdit, and none have resulted in actually turning a subtitle on or off. Several steps in this particular way are completely different from any of the others, and really, none of them (mostly on Doom9) don't have anything in common with any of the others.

Would be nice if any of them worked, but nada.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    I've followed some 3-4 different 'techniques' including this one with BDEdit, and none have resulted in actually turning a subtitle on or off. Several steps in this particular way are completely different from any of the others, and really, none of them (mostly on Doom9) don't have anything in common with any of the others.

Would be nice if any of them worked, but nada.
    Have a look at the two little apps "Set Default Tracks" mentioned in this thread (scroll up from that post), see if they may help you out.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!