VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by HitTheRoad View Post

But what can I do to repair the damaged MPEGs from my collection and get rid of the beeps? Can I do this without having to demux them and repair the audio in Audacity or some other audio editor??

ffmpeg doesn't work on the Little Richard clip, the beep still present

But eac3to ok on the clips so far, verified with audacity to check for beeps (it seems very sensitive to these beeps, at least the version I'm using)

So you can probably "repair" them by running them through eac3to , then remuxing . Just stream copy, not re-encoding - so no quality loss. Essentially you are just demuxing, and remuxing. If you are going back to DVD-video , you should use a DVD compliant muxer like muxman .

Not sure how you can do this on a Mac , all the tools are PC only
    Quote Quote  
  2. VLC can convert the Rosemary Clooney MPG audio to uncompressed WAV without the beeps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So you can probably "repair" them by running them through eac3to , then remuxing . Just stream copy, not re-encoding - so no quality loss. Essentially you are just demuxing, and remuxing.
    So glad to hear something can be done to repair the MPEG Streamclip damage. But... I have over a 1000 MPEG2s produced by MPEG Streamclip.
    Does eac3to provide a batch option?

VLC can convert the Rosemary Clooney MPG audio to uncompressed WAV without the beeps.
    I didn't know I could use VLC to convert files. Thank you for mentioning.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HitTheRoad View Post
    While the original Rosemary Clooney VOB is being uploaded, please take a look at this MPEG2:

http://files.videohelp.com/u/203833/Little%20Richard%20-%20She_s%20Got%20It%20(The%20G...t)%201956.mpeg

There's an electronic beep at the very end of the clip. I have many of those, all produced by MPEGStreamclip. At first I thought it was my video player (MPlayer OSX Extended) producing these beeps, since VLC didn't produce any beeps. But now I begin to think it's MPEGStreamclip.

The funny thing is, whenever one of my MPEG2s has a beep it's always at the very end of the file, when it stops playing. The Rosemary Clooney kinescope has a beep too. You can hear it when played in MPlayer OSX Extended. It's only since yesterday that I learned more beeps can be heard when listening to the remuxed AC3.

It's clear to me now I'd better avoid MPEG Streamclip whenever editing clips from VOBs.
    But what can I do to repair the damaged MPEGs from my collection and get rid of the beeps? Can I do this without having to demux them and repair the audio in Audacity or some other audio editor??
    If you're in the situation where you have to worked with the damaged audio, you'll have to repair it in an editor,
    I don't think there is anyway around it. As far as the click at the end, I noticed on the Clooney audio also.
    At least in that position it's easy to fix, just do a short fade out.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Finally the original Rosemary Clooney VOB is available for upload:

http://files.videohelp.com/u/203833/VTS_01_2.VOB

The funny thing is: Although this file is untouched by MPEG Streamclip I get to hear a beep at the very beginning of the file when played in MPlayer OSX Extended. It can be heard in VLC too, but there it's less noticable.
    Last edited by HitTheRoad; 16th Jun 2014 at 03:39.
    Quote Quote  
  6. By the way, I noticed that Audacity's spectrum view makes the beeps very visible:

Click image for larger version

Name:	spec.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	25746

That makes it a little easier to find them.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By the way, I noticed that Audacity's spectrum view makes the beeps very visible
    Quote Quote  
  8. Describe exactly what you did to get the VOB, all the steps

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	25751

1st was demuxed with dgindex, 2nd demuxed with eac3to , 3rd was the 1st run thru delaycut

delaycut log from the dgindex demux

====== PROCESSING LOG ======================
    Time 00:00:01.568; Frame#= 50. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = 9D85; calculated=2CF5
    Time 00:00:09.376; Frame#= 294. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = D44A; calculated=8974
    Time 00:00:24.512; Frame#= 767. Crc2 error SILENCED: read = 4C8D; calculated=ECBE
    Time 00:01:04.096; Frame#= 2004. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = FC84; calculated=797B
    Time 00:01:11.776; Frame#= 2244. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = 23D5; calculated=0ECB
    Time 00:01:38.432; Frame#= 3077. Crc2 error SILENCED: read = A68B; calculated=8C30
    Time 00:02:38.176; Frame#= 4944. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = E379; calculated=B945
    Time 00:02:53.536; Frame#= 5424. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = 5139; calculated=D3C4
    Time 00:04:25.696; Frame#= 8304. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = 9C8F; calculated=ECAF
    Time 00:04:57.728; Frame#= 9305. Crc2 error SILENCED: read = 2F17; calculated=74BD
    Time 00:05:43.936; Frame#= 10749. Crc2 error SILENCED: read = 7033; calculated=F655
    Time 00:05:57.856; Frame#= 11184. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = 150F; calculated=BDEE
    Time 00:06:03.616; Frame#= 11364. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = C96A; calculated=618B
    Time 00:07:13.216; Frame#= 13539. Crc2 error SILENCED: read = A58A; calculated=23EC
    Time 00:08:56.064; Frame#= 16753. Crc2 error SILENCED: read = C61A; calculated=3653
    Time 00:10:01.184; Frame#= 18788. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = 4557; calculated=673D
    Time 00:10:05.760; Frame#= 18931. Crc2 error SILENCED: read = 65EB; calculated=FC41
    Time 00:10:05.792; Frame#= 18932. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = 62CB; calculated=BD36
    Time 00:12:01.696; Frame#= 22554. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = FF56; calculated=7DAB
    Time 00:14:50.176; Frame#= 27819. Crc2 error SILENCED: read = BC8A; calculated=F045
    Time 00:16:08.736; Frame#= 30274. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = 8FF6; calculated=F2EC
    Time 00:16:38.624; Frame#= 31208. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = 8712; calculated=C3C6
    Time 00:17:14.016; Frame#= 32314. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = 6C66; calculated=117C
    Time 00:18:11.168; Frame#= 34100. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = DF21; calculated=83CF
    Time 00:19:16.192; Frame#= 36132. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = 2416; calculated=4CC3
    Time 00:19:56.416; Frame#= 37389. Crc2 error SILENCED: read = D1A7; calculated=B1A4
    Time 00:20:40.544; Frame#= 38768. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = 3F15; calculated=86E3
    Time 00:22:11.296; Frame#= 41604. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = 102B; calculated=C8EA
    Time 00:22:39.392; Frame#= 42482. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = A71A; calculated=78E7
    Time 00:24:03.616; Frame#= 45114. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = EA21; calculated=1FFE
    Time 00:25:27.264; Frame#= 47728. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = 1E9B; calculated=02EE
    Time 00:25:31.712; Frame#= 47867. Crc2 error SILENCED: read = F5C6; calculated=8A0B
    Time 00:26:54.016; Frame#= 50439. Crc2 error SILENCED: read = 32F6; calculated=B490
    Time 00:27:42.016; Frame#= 51939. Crc2 error SILENCED: read = 6350; calculated=7536
    Time 00:28:04.576; Frame#= 52644. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = 1AE8; calculated=6DCA
    Time 00:28:07.680; Frame#= 52741. Crc2 error SILENCED: read = C0E9; calculated=B950
    Time 00:28:28.832; Frame#= 53402. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = AFBE; calculated=7043
    Time 00:29:13.216; Frame#= 54789. Crc2 error SILENCED: read = 3A6D; calculated=F0C4
    Time 00:29:29.632; Frame#= 55302. Crc1 error SILENCED: read = 69B7; calculated=2AE4

Those time frames coincide where audacity shows a blip, and you can hear a beep

Delaycut can fix the errors, but the repair isn't perfect, it just reduces the volume, deletes the area leaving a gap

Eac3to produces perfect results, but the running time is shortened by the end. I think those gaps/blips might keep it in sync with the video, I'll look into it more later
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 16th Jun 2014 at 10:16.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Describe exactly what you did to get the VOB, all the steps
    Here goes:

Name:  Screen shot 1.png
Views: 300
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  Screen shot 2.png
Views: 290
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  Screen shot 3.png
Views: 290
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  Screen shot 4.png
Views: 288
Size:  52.4 KB

Name:	Screen shot 5.png
Views:	145
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	25767
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm not sure if some of the problems were caused by decrypting / ripping . You might go to a friend's house and try some PC tools for that part.

But this workflow works correctly (at least for this latest sample); proper duration, no blips, in sync when remuxing if you're going back to DVD-video (tested on several players) :

1) convert to wav with ffmpeg

e.g
    ffmpeg -i input.vob -vn -c:a pcm_s16le output.wav

2) apply whatever filters/restoration in your audio editor (the original topic of this thread )

3) either keep it as uncompressed wav or re-encode back to AC3 (I tested both)

4) use compliant DVD-video muxer & authoring tools

(1st is the processed final VOB , 2nd is the original VOB , both loaded directly into audacity (not demuxed audio)

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	25768

Search for compiled ffmpeg mac binaries, there are some sites that distribute them. Or there are some ffmpeg Mac GUIs like iffmpeg , ffmpegx, they might be able to do this . Commandline tools make it easier to batch process, but some GUI's have batch functionality

You might have to do something different for your other videos (they might have different types of errors or issues, maybe mpegstreamclip induced since those were processed by mpegstreamclip)
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 16th Jun 2014 at 11:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    OK, IMO, you need to go back to your original discs and use a proper ripping/extracting app, re-rip ALL your stuff all over again, but this time correctly so you don't have theses problems!

I would guess that the app did a poor job of either the sector alignment/extraction, or with multi-vob joining, and ended up with glitches/gaps which is where these other apps are interpreting them as "beeps".

Cut your losses and go back to square-one. Get clean rips first. Then the rest of your job will be more straightforward, even though you might still have the audio processing work to do.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Definitely try re-ripping . There might even be other errors that you haven't identified yet. At least try , then compare for peace of mind !
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    poisondeathray,

I just read your posting about your 4 steps workflow. You applied this to the VOB to get rid of the bleep at the start of the video. It's nice to know this can repaired, although it makes me crazy to think I have over 1000 MPEGs that need a repair like this.
    Last edited by HitTheRoad; 16th Jun 2014 at 11:22.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The idea of ripping all my DVDs all over again drives me nuts!

Why is it I never heard anything bad about Mac The Ripper?

Are you guys absolutely sure it's Mac The Ripper causing all the bleeps? Could it be it's this crazy MPEG-2 Playback Component causing all the trouble?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by HitTheRoad View Post
    poisondeathray,

I just read your posting about your 4 steps workflow. You applied this to the VOB to get rid of the bleep at the start of the video. It's nice to know this can repaired, although it makes me crazy to think I have over 1000 MPEGs that need a repair like this.

39 blips. Load the original VOB directly into audacity. Some players apply post processing or use error concealment techniques

The idea of ripping all my DVDs all over again drives me nuts!
    It would drive me MORE nuts to have these errors in my backups/collection ! Plus the thought of other possible issues and problems you haven't identified yet!

Name:  hairpull.gif
Views: 384
Size:  1.5 KB

Why is it I never heard anything bad about Mac The Ripper?

Are you guys absolutely sure it's Mac The Ripper causing all the bleeps? Could it be it's this crazy MPEG-2 Playback Component causing all the trouble?
    Not sure, just conjecture that ripping process is at fault . I would do some tests to prove/disprove this theory (if this was me, I'd be going NUTS too , but I'd have to find out for peace of mind)
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 16th Jun 2014 at 11:42.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I hate to say it, but I would look sideways at BOTH Mac The Ripper AND QT MPEG2 Component AND MpegStreamClip! Face it, if you rip and are using a Mac (and not Parallels/Win), you are already at a distict disadvantage!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by HitTheRoad View Post
    Are you guys absolutely sure it's Mac The Ripper causing all the bleeps?
    Of course not. But you will never know unless you try another ripper.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    39 blips
    Poisondeathray, Do you mean you found 39 bleeps in the VOB? Really?

It would drive me MORE nuts to have these errors in my backups/collection! Plus the thought of other possible issues and problems you haven't identified yet!
    The tought of all this drives me nuts, but at the same time I'm grateful you guys are helping me out.

If this was me, I'd be going NUTS too , but I'd have to find out for peace of mind
    That's it. I want to find out.

I hate to say it, but I would look sideways at BOTH Mac The Ripper AND QT MPEG2 Component AND MpegStreamClip! Face it, if you rip and are using a Mac (and not Parallels/Win), you are already at a distict disadvantage!
    Cornucopia, I'm afraid you're right. But since I'm in the middle of this, I want to make sure.

But you will never know unless you try another ripper.
    Today I bought Mac DVDRipper Pro (USD 30,19). Earlier the try-out version proved to me this ripper succeeds where MacTheRipper fails. However, I just tried it on the Rosemary Clooney kinescope DVD. And again, when played in MPlayer OSX extended, the VOB started with a bleep!

Last edited by HitTheRoad; 16th Jun 2014 at 16:27.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vvvvvvv
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder if there are any Mac experts on this forum?
    What do they think about this? Is it a known issue? And if yes, what causes the bleeps? And is there some kind of workaround?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by HitTheRoad View Post
    Poisondeathray, Do you mean you found 39 bleeps in the VOB? Really?

Yes, 39 . Check for yourself - open the original VOB in audacity. Look at the times and errors in the delaycut log file in post #38 - 39 entries. It's more than coincidence that each error entry time matches perfectly with the blips visible and audible in audacity. Some are much more noticable than others, some sort of blend in to the background music

If you leave it as is, you might only hear a few of them. Some software players may conceal or have error correction built in - you might not "hear" all of them until you start applying some manipulations. For example, with MPCHC, I can hear them all clearly played from the VOB directly. Other players might be using different decoders, I might only hear a few (e.g. with KMPlayer which is related to Mplayer). The point is there can be variation in how it's played back depending on the decoder used. Did you want it "ok" with only a few players, but still defective? If it was up to me, I would want to do it properly. So it's perfect everywhere. Recall on the previous page where a processed sample was uploaded and there were more beeps. And the beeps aren't limited to audacity - I verified this in other software like sony vegas pro, premiere pro

I wouldn't be satisfied that the problem isn't from the decrypting and ripping until I checked with various pc ripping programs. This is not a "Mac vs. PC thing." The fact is there are many more tools available on the PC platform. Yes, many of them are crap, but many things aren't even available on a Mac

Eitherway, clearly there are problems with this particular VOB. Do other properly ripped DVD's "act" even remotely like this? Hell No . If only 1 title was a problem - ok there might be something wrong with that particular disc. Or it might be using some new fancy encryption. But now you say you have over a 1000 rips in your collection that might have beeps. I think that strongly suggests there is something wrong with your process, or the tools used in your process

And what about other potential problems ? Maybe there are other issues from the decrypting you haven't noticed yet. And maybe there were other issues caused by those processed by mpegstreamclip as well
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder if there are any Mac experts on this forum?
    What do they think about this? Is it a known issue? And if yes, what causes the bleeps? And is there some kind of workaround?
    Yes, there are, but...

Sorry, man, but you gotta look in the mirror for the blame here. We have a Mac forum. While I give you props for at least saying in your opening thread, although at the bottom of it, that you were on a Mac, you didn't POST this in the Mac forum. I tell newbies all the time - if you're doing it on a Mac than 95% of the time it needs to go on the Mac forum. Period. We have Mac experts who look for posts there because they get flagged with a special symbol on the main page. You didn't post this in the Mac forum. You mistakenly thought it was an "I need audio help" problem when in fact it is actually an "I need Mac specific help" problem.

I am actually writing this on a Mac right now, but I use a Windows PC for all my video and audio work, including ripping. Why? That's where the tools are. EVERYTHING is harder on a Mac. If Mac The Ripper doesn't work for you, then I guess you can look into MakeMKV or Handbrake. I can't vouch for how good they are at ripping but they can do it. DVDFab had a Mac ripper I think but they are currently in a crazy kind of state due to losing a court case in the USA and I'm not really sure that I can recommend them anymore.

Ultimately you may need to make a new post in the Mac forum with a new title. Our moderators don't like cross posting so to avoid their wrath you should not use the same title. Maybe say something like "Mac ripped DVDs with weird audio clicks" or something like that.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jman98,
    Jagabo,
    poisondeathray,
    Cornucopia,
    Davenext,
    Smrpix,

I owe you guys a great deal of gratitude for your help.

I'm convinced now. There will be no more audio and video work on OSX for me from now on.

I will open a thread on the Mac forum in search for an explanation for the errors/beeps and how to get rid of them (hopefully I don't have to rip everything all over again).

And I will try out Parallels to run Windows on my Mac and will search for Windows related ripping and editing tools.

I thank you all very very much!

And if you like the kinescope I uploaded, please feel free to take chance at the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I suspect the problem is on the DVD, not an artifact of the ripping. But I agree, the OP should check by ripping on a different computer, with a different DVD drive, running windows.

This may not be of much help to the OP but just a few more data points:

NicAudio's NicAC3Source() decompresses the Rosemary Clooney AC3 track with no beeps.

KMPlayer using it's internal libavcodec plays the video with no beeps. Using the external ffdshow decoder plays with beeps.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd say I'm using a pretty good DVD drive:

https://www.lacie.com/support/support_manifest.htm?id=10262

Here's another VOB I ripped from DVD, for anyone who'd like to compare this to the Rosemary Clooney VOB I uploaded earlier:

http://files.videohelp.com/u/203833/Ha_%20Ha_%20Ha_%20.VOB

You might enjoy this one. It's Betty Boop, and it's one of the best cartoons ever made.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As I mentioned recently in another thread, I have been thoroughly underwhelmed by Lacie for years. No, make that over a decade. Sorry.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Mac expert" - I've worked on Macs for over 2 decades now, taught on Macs, and have one sitting right next to the PC that I'm writing this with. If you had a Mac-specific question, I think I would be qualified enough to answer most.

But as jman98 has said, there are certain things that are harder to do on a Mac, because there is only 1 or 2 apps and ways to do it. You tow the line and everything is smooth and easy, but if you have something odd - look out! And there are some things you CAN NOT DO on a Mac. Because there are NO good apps to do it (and not talking about cheating and doing hoops by using Parallels, VirtualPC-Mac, Wine, etc). For example: professional Blu-ray authoring. Doesn't exist on a Mac. VCD authoring (ok, there was 2 apps-once, but they diied long ago - and I'm not talking about Toast's ability to create a VCD as it doesn't DO anything but give you a simple 1 movie disc). Doesn't exist on a Mac. Autocad - doesn't exist on a Mac. Neither do almost all of autodesk's stuff (at least you've got Maya). There are whole industries where Mac isn't represented at all.

...(deja vu: I've written this here before)...

And don't think I'm down on Macs. I like them. I just think they've shot themselves in the foot because they constrain themselves too much. But that has been part of their gestalt for so long, I don't think they know of any other way of doing things.

Linux is the opposite end of the spectrum: roll your own. But with that comes the need for the extra knowledge with which to do the rolling. And then there's so many flavors that there's some incompatibility (particularly with drivers).

Windows is in the middle. It's boring, yes, but it is consistently boring. And yet gives you the chance to customize & diversify.

Kind of like Papa bear, Mama bear & baby bear, if you will.

A good user will figure out the job, pick the best tools for that job (whether on Win/Mac/Linux/etc) and then get the platform that supports those tools. It's a lot harder to do that well in reverse order.

@HitTheRoad, I understand that is a LOT of material to have to re-rip. Have you been doing it the same with those apps the whole time? If so, I'm surprised you haven't encountered those "beeps" before. I think you need to figure out how particular/demanding you want to be about the quality of these rips, and then go from there.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cornucopia/Scott,
    I've always had the same workflow. I'd let MacTheRipper do the ripping, and I used MPEGStreamclip to select fragments from VOBs and convert them to MPEG2.

I never did any editing. So that's why I never noticed there was something wrong.

I used VLC to play my collection of mainly music video's. I found VLC had just one big disadvantage: the deinterlace mode didn't work.
    Then I discovered MPlayer OSX Extended. It does a good job deinterlacing. I've been using this player for years now, although that's when I started noticing beeps in the audio.

I got to hear the beeps only at the very end of some of my MPEGs, at the very moment the player stops playing. I'd say about 30 % of my MPEGs reacts this way.
    Since the beeps were nonapparant in VLC, I thought I had to do with a bug in MPlayer OSX Extended.

I tried to contact people involved with MPlayer about this, but my posting remained unanswered.
    I stuck with MPlayer all the same, since the beeps were not too loud and annoying, and MPlayer does a good job deinterlacing.

But things have changed since I know the beeps are embedded in my MPEGs and correspond to errors in the stream. With MPEGs like this editing will become a hell of a job.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I came to the conclusion the bleeps are not some typical Mac OSX artefact. In my collection I found some mpg's created with Windows software that have bleeps too.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by HitTheRoad View Post
    I came to the conclusion the bleeps are not some typical Mac OSX artefact. In my collection I found some mpg's created with Windows software that have bleeps too.

Which Windows software ? Describe your process
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which Windows software ? Describe your process
    I didn't make them myself. I got them from different sources. From one of them I know they were produced using MPEG Video Wizard DVD 5.0.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!