VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am looking for a BD player (or media center) with a USB port that will play(with Menus!) from blu-ray folders or ISO file that is stored on connected USB thumb drive.

The WD Live boxes play it, but not with the menus. The menus are a requirement for me. Since BD players must play menus from the disc, I was thinking (hoping!!) that maybe a BD player with a USB port could play the menus from the USB drive also.

I create my Blu-Ray folders and images using Adobe Encore, but I don't want to have to make Blu-Ray discs. The folders and images work fine, and I can play them (with Menus!) with only a few players on my PC. I want to be able to put these folders on a USB thumb drive and play them to my TV without needing a PC.

Please let me know if know for sure a particular make and model number of a BD player or media player that can do this.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JoeKlein View Post
    I am looking for a BD player (or media center) with a USB port that will play(with Menus!) from blu-ray folders or ISO file that is stored on connected USB thumb drive.

The WD Live boxes play it, but not with the menus. The menus are a requirement for me. Since BD players must play menus from the disc, I was thinking (hoping!!) that maybe a BD player with a USB port could play the menus from the USB drive also.

I create my Blu-Ray folders and images using Adobe Encore, but I don't want to have to make Blu-Ray discs. The folders and images work fine, and I can play them (with Menus!) with only a few players on my PC. I want to be able to put these folders on a USB thumb drive and play them to my TV without needing a PC.

Please let me know if know for sure a particular make and model number of a BD player or media player that can do this.

Thank you.
    No recent Blu-Ray players are likely to support doing what you want to do. [Edit] AACS licensing (required for commercial Blu-Ray playback) probably forbids making Blu-Ray players that include this feature.[End edit]

There is a media player that is supposed to play Blu-Ray ISOs with menus (2D only) , but it isn't cheap: http://www.duneplayer.com/dune-hd-smart-d1.html
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Jun 2014 at 13:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Menus are not just pictures, they have to have links and those links have to mean something to the player (telling it to go somewhere). Your choices for menus are small:

DVD menus (in authored DVDs and/or their ISOs)
    BD menus (in authored BDs and/or their ISOs)
    (defunct) HD DVD menus (in authored HD DVDs and their ISOs)

Those are the only ones that are guaranteed to work in players that are compliant with them.

Then there's:
    SMIL for use with QT MOV (embedded or separate)
    Some Divx files with menus embedded
    Some MKV files with menus embedded
    HTML web page with links to media

But these are hit-or-miss (mainly miss) depending upon the player, and on the way the file was created. Mainly because, unlike those authored media, there is no standard for compliancy (particularly WRT hardware).

Scott
    "When will the rhetorical questions end?!" - George Carlin
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah, that seems to agree with what I have been reading. Too bad.
    Quote Quote