VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

I have an old Acer Laptop aspire 5310 i want to use for backing up data. Trouble is i cannot get it to reboot using Alt+F10/ACER logo. But for some reason i don't get the ACER logo, just a black screen. i don't have any recovery CDs so i don't know if it would boot from discs.

I can however turn laptop on using safe mode which produces a black desktop and the odd software like ccleaner most of the software desktop shorts are missing

Can i download Aspire 5310 recovery discs for free?

Apart from trying discs is there another way of rebooting?

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks for your time
    Quote Quote  
  2. I assume you have seen this FAQ on using recovery management, the question is whether the laptop HDD has been replaced or not. Did you notice the link at the bottom of the page to buy a set?

I can't recall if you have to enable the Alt-F10 in the BIOS on Acers, but you should see the logo. The easy way to make sure everything is as it should be is to go in the BIOS and load optimal settings.

If you still can't see the Alt-F10 prompt and since you're able to boot in safe mode and see programs like Ccleaner, then you could use the recovery management program in the start menu under one of the Acer folders.

Of course, if the drive has been replaced none of this will work. There should be a Microsoft CoA sticker on the bottom of the laptop, find out which Windows it's for and download the appropriate version for Vista or Win 7 and follow the directions on that site on making the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get the system repair discs for the installed operating system ... not the complete os but enough to allow one to perform many system repairs functions.

Number 1:

Make a master backup image of the drive by slaving the laptop drive into another system ... a usb enclosure would be fine if a friends pc is to be used but they don't want to open their system case ... if it fails to be created then there's likely to be hardware damage move onto 2.

A good free program for this is macrium reflect

Number 2:

Next call would be to reboot the laptop with the drive in it and boot from insert rescue disc.

Follow their guide and you should be able to recover any important files before any attempt at repair or complete reinstall of the operating system is done.

If the screen is giving you issue also try hooking it up with the tv out port.

Number 3:

There are a number of guides online showing how to use the system rescue discs for each operating system from basics to more in depth tweaks like replacing hosed registries.

This guide covers just about everything there is to know and do with registry corruption to basic file backup.

----

Download the discs for free ... possible but they usually charge about $40.00.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies fellow members. I just want to throw something into the mix, maybe it will pinpoint the problem.

I decided to wipe the drive with Activekill and install a windows operating system. When wiping HD the laptop kept shutting down around 2-3% done. Same with installing the operating system it shuts down after 2-3 minutes.

Thanks

PS. I forgot to say. I cannot access area to create a system imadge or repair disc.
    Last edited by Teac23; 12th Jun 2014 at 09:46.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Teac23 View Post
    I decided to wipe the drive with Activekill and install a windows operating system.
    I know hindsight is 20/20 and this won't help you now, but it's worth mentioning for the benefit of others that unless you have a special requirement to wipe a drive, you can just use the partitioning tool that is available in the Windows installer. It might have avoided you losing the recovery partition.

Originally Posted by Teac23 View Post
    When wiping HD the laptop kept shutting down around 2-3% done. Same with installing the operating system it shuts down after 2-3 minutes.
    It seems there are some details you are not telling us about that laptop, did you open another thread about that same laptop before? It might help to have some background info on what you've done to it or why you want to reinstall the OS.

If the thing shuts down after 2-3 min. while it's doing something, how long does it stay on while it's just sitting idle (like while in the BIOS)? This makes me wonder did you take it apart completely and remove the CPU cooler?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know hindsight is 20/20 and this won't help you now, but it's worth mentioning for the benefit of others that unless you have a special requirement to wipe a drive, you can just use the partitioning tool that is available in the Windows installer. It might have avoided you losing the recovery partition.
    I couldn't access area to create a system imadge or repair disc, it could not be found. This is why i decided to wipe the drive, and use another windows operating system.

how long does it stay on while it's just sitting idle
    It stays on in safe mode, but apart from trying to wipe and install operating system which never stays on long. If you dont start up in safe mode it turns itself off.

did you open another thread about that same laptop before?
    I do have a thread open regarding a MSI Notebook 130U with screen problems. I have recently added a video file at the bottom in a reply showing the problem. Maybe you could take a look please. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/364906-Technicolor-Notebook-Not-Working

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you can't run or install Windows, then you should try to run a Linux Live Disc. DSL is only a 50 MB download and you could run it from a USB flash drive or a CD.

I don't know where you get these laptops from or even if someone else tried to fiddle with them first, but it looks like an overheating issue (probably with the chipset). This is use at your own risk info; it might be worthwhile to remove the cooler, clean all the contact surfaces with alcohol and re-apply new thermal compound (Arctic Silver would be best). While removing the cooler keep an eye on how it comes off the chips (does it look like it wasn't touching, is it uneven...).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know where you get these laptops from or even if someone else tried to fiddle with them first
    These are just old units were put away. I'm fed up of buying sticks and ex hard-drives and decied to get the units working and make use of the hard-drives.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have taken the battery from laptop and just powered up using the AC power adapter and the laptop now stays on.

Not being clued up on the Linux system, i made up another windows OS boot USB stick - using Windows 7-USB-DVD. With the USB boot stick in, i turn on laptop a black screen comes up with the following words. "Active Partition Not Found - Press any Key".

When i press a key, these words just keep coming up and nothing else happens.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Teac23 View Post
    I have taken the battery from laptop and just powered up using the AC power adapter and the laptop now stays on.
    Doh!

The Linux Live Disc is just to see if the laptop can run an OS. You already know how to use Linux, you know how to use Windows. You won't break anything with a live disc, you don't even need to know how to shutdown, just pull the disc out and turn the power off.

"Active Partition not found" means the USB drive is not bootable, how did you create it?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Active Partition not found" means the USB drive is not bootable, how did you create it?
    Using a Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

I will try Linux Live Disc

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking at step 2: Select a Disistribution to put on D. Which selection do i choose from the role down list?

Step 1: should i use a usb stick or make a disc?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-13_164006.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	25714
    Quote Quote  
  13. You will need an ISO file of the Windows installation DVD, insert your USB flash drive, wait for it to be detected and it should be visible in the drop down list in step 1 (you should not have to check the show all drives box).

Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the drop down list in step 2, the Windows Vista, 7, 8 installer should be around five spots up from the end.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have done what you recommend above and i still keep getting a black screen and "Active Partition Not Found - Press any Key".

I tried several usb sticks also.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  15. Simplify your life and download a bootable, live Linux disk, already made for you.

If sounds like you have an install disk which is not finding a partition to install to. Depending on what is going on with your installation attempts, this is quite possible. However, remove the confusion and determine if the system is basically functional by starting with a disk that is KNOWN GOOD. Make a disk, USB is not always bootable, an optical disk IS, though a BIOS change may be necessary.

The less you mess with it, the more certain it will be to give valid diagnostic info.

With the box booting in Safe Mode, a simple virus scan, hard drive check, and using MSConfig would have nailed down the problem. You have created a non-bootable system with no OS disks to install, and you are apparently unable to create a simple, bootable, free linux CD. The problem is now far worse and you have destroyed the best available tools to fix it.

After booting up linux, run any available diags, let it sit for hours, then test and format the hard drive. Then you will need the recovery disks, or drivers plus an installable OS. You can DL the drivers, but giving away an installable Windows is not something any legit company can do. Any OS disk of the same version will do, provided you have the MS code number on the laptop.

Making the recovery disks first would have helped, that is likely not possible now. You also could have gotten the MS code number from safe mode, if you don't have the sticker. Again, that is likely not possible now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I second Nelson37's suggestions, in that order!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. If you followed the instructions from the Pendrive Linux site and you still can't get the drive to boot, you'll probably just have to break down and burn the Win 7 ISO to a blank DVD. Making a Windows bootable USB drive can be hit and miss. If you can't repair because you don't have the same Windows version as the installed one, then re-install and use the serial number from the CoA sticker.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have now sorted the problem, it was just a case of burn windows iso to a disc, like you said and it worked first time. I will now throw these USB flash drives in the bin because their rubbish.

Thanks for all your time and and advice Ni2k4 you are a gent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    They may or may not be rubbish, but I wouldn't throw them out just on the case of them not booting. That often has more to do with your BIOS firmware not allowing USB booting than anything faulty on the part of the stick/media.

If you truly just "don't like them", give them away to someone who might know what to do with them.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!