VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. That should be fine. Try the following script:

Code:
    AVISource("D:\AVISYNTH\Exercises\Carnaval-0.avi")
    Info()
    Does it show YV12?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting! I replaced the script by this, as advised:

AVISource("D:\AVISYNTH\Exercises\Carnaval-0.avi")
    Info()

and this is the result:

Click image for larger version

Name:	RGB.JPG
Views:	521
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	28254

Seems to be RGB, not YV12. Looks like it is interlaced after all and, as you thought, a complete frame consisting of 2 fields.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, forgot to add that in VirtualDub 1.10.4 (not the Mod version) I get the same result.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Probably you have another DV decoder currently installed, and cedocida isn't being used

Make sure the internal vdub decoder is disabled first (options => preferences => AVI => uncheckmark prefer internal video decoders over installed third party codecs) , then load a DV-AVI file directly into vdub, and use file=>file information; what does it say ?

You can use something like VCswap to disable/enable various VFW codecs
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello poisondeathray, see below: the box already was unchecked

Name:	AVI Pref.JPG
Views:	454
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	28259

then I loaded Carnaval-0.avi and according to file information the Internal DIB decoder is in use.

Name:	AVI file info.JPG
Views:	509
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	28262
    Quote Quote  
  6. If cedocida was installed and working properly, it should say "cedocida" . If you can't get it working by fiddling with vcswap or other VFW configuration tools; alternatively, you can use another source filter like ffms2 (external plugin, requires .dll)

FFVideoSource("D:\AVISYNTH\Exercises\Carnaval-0.avi")

https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releases
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a look at VCSwap. However, being a newbie I have no experience with swapping codecs.. So what should I do next?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Are you sure you are using 32bit vdub, 32bit avisynth , and have cedocida 32bit installed ?

In vcswap, cedocida should be under the list of "active" codecs. If it is not , and instead under "inactive" codecs , then select it, right click and choose "activate"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Also verify what you have is actually DV (fourcc should be dvsd)

Use mediainfo (view=>text) on the source file, copy & paste the text back here
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    poisondeathray,

Many thanks for your fast comment.
    This is what I see in vcswap:

Name:	VCSwap 1.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	28265

1. It looks like cedocida is active. Does the 'Type [32]' indicate that it is 32-bit?

2. I am pretty sure I installed the 32-bit versions of VDub and Avisynth, but how can I check this?

3. Could you elaborate a little on what you mean by "fourcc should be dvsd" ?

4. Tried to install mediainfo but it is infected with malware (OpenCandy). Would you know an alternative link?
    Quote Quote  
  11. VirtualDub: if the title bar doesn't say AMD64 you have the 32 bit version. If you can open an AviSynth script in 32 bit VirtualDub you have 32 bit AviSynth installed.

fourcc: AVI files identify what codec is used with a "fourcc" code -- a four character codec id. "dvsd" is usually used for DV.

MediaInfo: You can avoid OpenCandy by disconnecting from the internet during the install. Even if you don't disconnect you can usually avoid the stuff it installs by always selecting "custom" install and making sure OpenCandy items are not selected. Be careful, the install may have more than one place where you have to avoid OpenCandy.
    Last edited by jagabo; 31st Oct 2014 at 11:48.
    Quote Quote  
  12. fourcc is an identifier code for codecs, like a name or label

Mediainfo is safe if you download from the official site or videohelp.com, just remember to UNCHECKMARK install OpenCandy or whatever it's asking you to additionally install. Alternatively, there is MediainfoXP which has nothing bundled
    Quote Quote  
  13. MediaInfo can also run as a portable program. There's a link in the MediaInfo page here. You can then just run MediaInfo from that folder and select Options -> Preferences to add Explorer extensions.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you guys for your continued help!

jagabo, this is what I see in the title bar of VDub & VDubMod

Name:	VDub version.JPG
Views:	494
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	28274

So, both are 32bit versions?
    And indeed I can run a simple Avisynth script in either.

poisondeathray & jagabo,
    I got MediaInfo installed (offline) and saw no mention of OpenCandy. I'm hoping for the best..

I ran MediaInfo and here is what was found:

Name:	MediaInfo.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	28275

It still does not say whether the avi-file is interlaced or progressive.
    I do hope it gives you a clue and I am looking forward to what you would suggst next.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Found more information in the Tree-layout:

Name:	MediaInfo 2.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	28276
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @minimax,
    So clearly that AVI is NO LONGER a DV format but an uncompressed RGB format, counter to what you led us to believe.

You can fix your RemoveDirt stuff by prepending a "ConvertToYV12" or "ConvertToYUY2" command.

However, this leads me to ask - What happened to your original DV capture?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Your video is uncompressed RGB, not DV AVI. And it's only 18 fps, not the 25 fps PAL DV would be. How did you make that AVI? If you used a firewire port to capture from the DV camcorder you should have gotten DV AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A deep red is colouring my cheeks, obviously I made a terrible mistake.
    What happened is that, in VDub, I cut a short test movie from the original scan, made a horizontal flip, changed the speed to 18 fps and saved it as 'Carnaval-0', without realising that this would change the properties of the file so drastically!
    The original scan was made with a setup much like Fred v.d. Putte's, using a Canon camcorder instead of a webcam. The scan was done at approx. 4 fps and a firewire connection was used between camera and computer.
    Here is the MediaInfo report on the original scan:

Name:	Carnaval- ORIG.avi IM .JPG
Views:	447
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	28290

Now I recognise many of the things you mentioned...

OK, subsequently I tried to cut another short from the original (in VDub) and I got this message when
    pressing Input-playback:

Name:	Cannot decompress1.JPG
Views:	1261
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	28293

I could play the movie only when pressing Output-playback.

In VDubMod, I cannot play the avi at all and I get this message:

Name:	Cannot decompress2.JPG
Views:	521
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	28294

I hope you guys will bear with me a little longer, sorting out the mess I made..
    My apologies and many thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  19. What's this talk about a webcam ? Fred doesn't use that or a camcorder

So in vdub, did you load the original, original DV clip and it showed that error message ? With the original clip loaded directly, what does file=>file information show
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fred started using a webcam, a Philips To-U cam if I remember well.
    Have a look at his site where he says: "I did my first testings with a 640x480 Philips webcam .
    But now I use a 1392x1032 Point Grey Flea machine vision camera"

This is what VDub's file info says, with te Original clip loaded:

Name:	ORIG file info.JPG
Views:	457
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	28296
    Quote Quote  
  21. Ok webcam for testing... He would never use that for actual use

Ok I lost track of the big picture... Weren't you trying to use avisynth? Some filters like RemoveDirt? The file=>file information was just to show what current VFW decoder is being used. That will be the same one used when you use AVISource("video.avi") in vdub

We got sidetracked because you use the wrong uncompressed RGB video

AVISource("D:\AVISYNTH\Exercises\Carnaval-ORIG.avi")
    Info()

What does it report the colorspace as ? It should be what you have cedocida set to

I recommend you use the MC versions of dirt removal filters, not the original RemoveDirt. The MC (motion compensated) are much better at retaining detail. Dirt removal filters only work properly if you have a 1:1 transfer (not duplicates or blends), because they look for difference between frames
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by minimax View Post
    OK, subsequently I tried to cut another short from the original (in VDub) and I got this message when
    pressing Input-playback:

[Attachment 28293 - Click to enlarge]
    I don't know why, but when opening AVI files VirtualDub won't play YV12 video via the play input function. On the other hand, it has no problem playing YV12 from an AviSynth script. Since you previously limited Cedocida to YV12 output VirtualDub won't play the video when opening the AVI directly. If you open the video using an AviSynth script you should find that it plays.

Now if you enable both YUY2 and YV12 output in Cedocida you can specify which you want when you open the video with AviSource() -- pixel_type="YUY2" or "YV12". And VirtualDub will probably negotiate YUY2 when you open the video directly.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Ok webcam for testing... He would never use that for actual use
    Actually, he did. This was around 2005 when I started followng his Dutch language website.

Right, the big picture.
    I was impressed by the fantastic results Fred van der Putte achieved with his Avisynth script.
    Allow me to quote from my first post:

"Subsequently I tried to train myself in using Avisynth and VirtualDubMod as a GUI and script editor. VDM works fine and appying filters is no problem.
    Avisynth however, is an entirely different story: 6 weeks of absolutely fruitless efforts. This is what I did, among many other things:
    I made a 15 sec. test movie called "Carnaval-0.avi" using VD to convert the speed to 18fps and to make the necessary horizontal flip."

From there on things went wrong, as you know.
    I tried Fred's script (the 2nd) but I got nothing but error messages. Then I tried simple plugins like RemoveDirt.dll and got similar errors.

This is roughly as far as we got. And now VDub does no longer respond as it should...
    I made the avs script as you advised:
    AVISource("D:\AVISYNTH\Exercises\Carnaval-ORIG.avi")
    Info()

Trying to open it resulted in this message:

Name:  Error ORIG-1.JPG
Views: 1036
Size:  18.7 KB

What would you suggest I do?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Are you sure the name is correct? Is there a space between Carnaval- Orig.avi ? It looks like that from the mediainfo report in post #48

Carnaval- Orig.avi
    or
    Carnaval-Orig.avi

?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [/QUOTE]If you open the video using an AviSynth script you should find that it plays.[/QUOTE]

jagabo, as you may have seen from my reply to poisondeathray VDub does not play AviSunth scripts.
    I'm at a loss as to what to do next.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're absolutely right! Sorry, stupid mistake and I'm getting sleepy; it is 2:45 AM in this country...
    Now it does run in VDub and this is the information:

Name:	ORIG-info.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	28304

However, it does not run in VDubMod, which returns this message:

Name:	ORIG-info VDubMod.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	28305

and it does not run in Media Player either, as it seems to be missing the relevant codec.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I told you before that VirtualDubMod can't play YV12 video without an external YV12 decoder. Stop using that 10 year old piece of software. It only has one possible use these days -- muxing multiple audio tracks into an AVI file.

If your really must, you can use ffdshow to decode YV12. It's under Codecs -> Raw Video
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes you certainly did, jagabo! I used it for the integrated script editor and did not realize it is 10 years old. As a script editor I now use AVSEdit. Or would you suggest a better one?
    I promise I won't use VDubMod anymore.
    In this case (VDub not working properly) I simply tried to give you as many clues as I could. For the same reason I also mentioned, in my previous post, that the script does not run in Media Player either.

Summarizing :

VirtualDub

1. Does play Carnaval-ORIG.avs without any problem.
    2. Does not play Carnaval-ORIG.avi when depressing 'Input Playback' and this message appears:

Name:	Cannot decompress1.JPG
Views:	495
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	28306

Windows Media Player
    1. Does play Carnaval-ORIG.avi, but
    2. Does not play Carnaval-ORIG.avs. Instead a message appears (in Dutch) saying as much as: "Cannot play the file. Possibly the player does not support the file type or the required codec is not installed on the computer".

Shall be looking forward to your comment.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Did you enable YUY2 output in Cedocida? Did you install ffdshow and enable the row video codec? If you've already enabled YUY2 outout in Cedocida, you can try forcing VirtualDub to ask Cedocida for YUY2 with Video -> Color Depth -> Decompression Format -> YY2:2 YCbCr YUY2.

Windows Media Player is probably 64 bit and won't work with 32 bit AviSynth. Generally, you don't use media player to view scripts because the scripts are often too slow for real time playback.
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Nov 2014 at 06:42.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry jagabo, I'm trying to become familiar with codecs but I am not 'on the level' yet and step-by-step instructions would be much appreciated.

1. Therefore: how should I go about enabling YUY2 in Cedocida?

2. I did install ffdshow, but again, I have no idea as to how to work with the program or how to enable the row video codec.

3. I looked into Video -> Color Depth -> Decompression Format -> YY2:2 YCbCr YUY2.
    In the list I could not find YY2:2 YCbCr YUY2 and this is part of what I see:

Name:	ask Ced forYUY2.JPG
Views:	481
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	28311

4. Windows Media Player worked quite well before. When I just dropped an .avs onto the WML logo on my desktop it played well and started immediately. I found it quite useful and regret that it does not work anymore.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!