VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    I was wondering which software is better for precise lossless editing of various formats, TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 or Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD 5.0?
    Which software do you consider the most user friendly.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    With those two products, both of which are pretty good for what they do, you're talking about oranges and apples. I don't think there is any such thing as "lossles editing" of "various formats". You're either working with lossless media or you're working with something else that isn't lossless. Members here might want a little more information. What formats? What do you mean by "edit" ? (simple cut and join? Transitions and special effects? Color Correction? Denoising? Adding video tracks? Creating final output with menus and chapters? ? ? ?).

The TMPGEnc product has very good X264 and MPEG2/1 encoding. It will take various input formats, but basically it's designed to work with lossless input formats and encode them to MPEG, AVCHD, BluRay, and a few other encodes. If you use an already encoded video for input, it will be re-encoded entirely on output. It does have a timeline editor and some color correction and other filters, but using such corrections in any editor is never lossless with lossy input, not even with smart-rendering apps. If you want output with menus and chapters, you need an authoring application, which is not "editing".

Others might have different ideas, but considering that your use of "edit" and "lossless" seems confused, I'd go with Womble. It kind of sounds like you're working with input video that's already lossy encoded. That being so, neither of those apps is lossless. I believe Womble can do some smart-rendering of MPEG without a lot of damage. TMPGenc Mastering Works is not a smart-rendering editor for lossy input; it was never designed to work that way, but it is pretty decent when used as a converter for a few pre-encoded formats to something else. Womble can give you a DVD folder ready for burning to disc, TMPGenc Mastering Works isn't for authoring (TMPGenc Authoring Works 5 is their multi-format authoring app, which is also pretty nice for SD and HD).

Maybe folks here can give you more precise information if you're a little more precise in your request.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 8th Jun 2014 at 21:43.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sounds like you want the TMPGenc Smart Renderer 4. Not sure about MPEG video wizard
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi,
    I'll be making DVD compilations, as well as trimming and joining .mov, .mp4 and .avi formats.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the info. DVD is encoded as MPEG2. DVD can't be anything else. You should start by understanding that .mov, .mp4, and .avi are not "formats". They are containers that can accept video from several encoders. .mov is usually QuickTime but can be h264, .mp4 nowadays is usually h264, and .avi can be anything from uncompressed decoded video to DV, DivX, Xvid, etc. None of those "formats" can be losslessly edited and re-encoded for DVD. The allowed encoded frame sizes and aspect ratios for PAL and NTSC DVD are shown here: https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#tech

All of the "formats" you mentioned can be re-encoded and authored for DVD using several free apps. If you want to do a lot of "editing" as described earlier, your best bet is to decode those different videos to lossless AVI using Lagarith or huffyuv or some other lossless compressor. Then use an editor that accepts lossless media to add fancy stuff or do some cleanup, then encode and author for DVD. Note that you can't mix frame sizes with standard DVD, so some of those videos might have to be resized to a common denominator. There is no way to losslessly resize encoded video.

I'd suggest that TMPGenc TVMW5 has a usable timeline editor for lossy media and very good MPEG and h264 encoders. But there are also lots of freebies. I don't use many free apps that you might need for that work (except for processing with the likes of Avisynth, VirtualDub, and the very good HCenc MPEG encoder). Something like AVS2DVD is a possibility, but it's limited as far as adding fancy features and I haven't used it for a while. Others more familiar with free stuff in our tools section can be of more help with those. You're not forced to go thru all that lossless intermediate stuff, but any editor you use to add or modify those files will decode them internally for the work and re-encode them for DVD. That will not be a lossless process.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 9th Jun 2014 at 17:46.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Everything mentioned will get you part of the way to where you want to go -- and with some knowledge you can put enough pieces together to arrive at your final destination. Save yourself a lot of grief and get Sony Vegas Movie Studio, usually can be had for around $40. This will do for the editing and mixing-and-matching. If you're quick you can get your project done during the free trial period. Then use AVStoDVD (free) for your final authoring.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jedi55 View Post
    Hello,
    I was wondering which software is better for precise lossless editing of various formats, TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 or Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD 5.0?
    Which software do you consider the most user friendly.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD uses smart encoding (only the GOPs adjacent to the cuts are re-encode) but as I recall, only when editing MPEG-2 video. (I have an older version.) It is mostly used for editing or creating DVD-compatible video from a few other types of video, and authoring DVDs from that.

It can can also perform some types of conversions:
    - MPEG to iPod, PSP, MP4, AVI, and Mov
    - DV to MPEG-2 and DVD
    - MP4 to MPEG-2 and DVD
    - MP4 batch export

It is OK for what it does, but the user interface is a little odd.

I would suggest that you take advantage of the free trials for Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD, TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works, and the other editing and conversion software suggested to you to see what works best for you.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!