VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, for my first time I tried FCPX 10 and all seemed to be going fine. After half a day of getting to know the software I was able to achieve everything I wanted by trimming the images, expanding the audio and cut/copying/fading.

I am not used to ignoring my knee-jerk reaction to hit cmd s every few minutes. I kept Googling 'save fcpx project' and each time being assured there was no need as the software does this automatically.

Finally finished, I clicked the button to export to master file then FCPX CRASHED. I reopened the software and, to my horror, my event was still there - with the correct films imported - but my precious project COMPLETELY EMPTY. SO MUCH FOR AUTOMATIC SAVE!

Further Googling suggested that there would still be a backup file somewhere in the Movies folder. The only file remaining with a time stamp before the crash is an event backup file (shouldn't it be a project file I'm looking for? In fact, I can't see a backup project file anywhere!). It's only about 400KB big - is that enough? So I replaced the CurrentVersion with this file, reopened FCPX - no joy.

Another Google - 'delete the flexolibrary file in the package contents'. I would do, but THERE IS NO FLEXOLIBRARY FILE TO BE SEEN.

Have I just lost all my work? How do I prevent this from happening again? Please excuse the text shouts - but if there was only some form of save option this wouldn't be happening right now. It's counter-intuitive and if Apple are going to take that function away they ought to make totally certain their software works.

Phew. Hope you can shed some light. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello?
    Quote Quote  
  3. It sounds like you've done everything right, so your lack of responses probably reflects that. You may want to check in at the creativecow.net forums where they have a robust fcpx community and see if anyone has ideas there.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, but can you tell me whether there is any way I can somehow manually save future projects without this happening again? Export the project file somehow? This just seems so ridiculous - the expense, and on the very first use it crashes! And I doubt it's my mac spec. causing it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can duplicate the project in your project library from time to time if you like -- other than that, big brother Apple has taken all the fuss and worry out of your editing experience.

On a more serious note, $299 may sound like a lot on its own, but this software (when it works) is spectacularly inexpensive when compared to its competitors. Apple takes a loss on it in order to sell more hardware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess the solution, or one solution is to save the project under an addition name. Close the project, save changes yes, and reopen it. Always do this before an export attempt.

Sorry to hear about this.

I'm still on an older FCP Suite version, no plans to move up at this time.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!