VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Hi,

I have been re-directed to this forum from afterdawn.

Don't know if i am posting this in the correct place, forgive me if i am not - need some help with duplicating a CITB skills dvd - Health,Safety and Environment test DVD.

I have the original DVD, bought etc, i am trying to make a back up copy and so far have created a number of "coasters" - all claim to have completed successfully but fail an authentication test before installation starts. I am presuming this application is embedded within the file structure of the dvd, but was hoping there was a work around. I don't believe this is a standard copyrite block as such , like on dvd movies, audio discs etc, this is something different.
    I have tried Anydvd, clone and DVD43, but all produce the fails - has anybody come across this and can offer a solution?

Would appreciate any help/advise/work round etc

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  2. Which 'clone'? Slysoft's? Which one? CloneCD or Clone DVD....they are for different purposes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by robspro View Post
    Hi,

I have been re-directed to this forum from afterdawn.

Don't know if i am posting this in the correct place, forgive me if i am not - need some help with duplicating a CITB skills dvd - Health,Safety and Environment test DVD.

I have the original DVD, bought etc, i am trying to make a back up copy and so far have created a number of "coasters" - all claim to have completed successfully but fail an authentication test before installation starts. I am presuming this application is embedded within the file structure of the dvd, but was hoping there was a work around. I don't believe this is a standard copyrite block as such , like on dvd movies, audio discs etc, this is something different.
    I have tried Anydvd, clone and DVD43, but all produce the fails - has anybody come across this and can offer a solution?

Would appreciate any help/advise/work round etc

Rob
    Does the original DVD play only on a PC or is it playable using a standard set-top DVD player as well?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hi, thanks for the replies.

This is a pc programme - a health and safety test (for CSCS Card) and is a dvd rom.

I have tried both of the clones, Alcohol120, Daemon, Cloner (several types)........ i have really gone through the list of programmes to no avail. Been a real nightmare and a pain in the ......
    The original dvd starts fine and goes through the check and reports (shows a green tick) that it is the original disc, any of the copies on the other hand (incidentally, they all copy okay) they show a red cross( and report that you are using emulation or the victim of piracy.

Regards

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it's not copy protected as you say, then just create an image of the dvd and burn the image to a new disk. Virtually any burning s/w should handle that example: Nero, IMGburn, InfraRecorder, etc,etc.....
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    They do copy - but when the disc starts, it runs a software check to see if the disc is legitimate and this is where they fail and you can progress no further with the installation.
    It must be a protection of some sort, written within the data on the disc, triggered at start up, as a security check before installation?
    There must be something missing, something not copied, from the original disc, to trigger the failed security check?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    If it's not copy protected as you say, then just create an image of the dvd and burn the image to a new disk.
    It IS copy protected. He means it's not "DVD movie copy protected" like ARCCOS, CSS, etc. That's irrelevant because he doesn't have a movie. Someone with experience specific to DVD-ROMs, which he has recently said is what he has, is going to have comment on what might be used to copy the disc. Alcohol 120 might be able to do it, but that's just a guess.
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    It seems to me the original disc (a pressed one) contains data in the region which is inaccessible to the DVD-recorder, and the installer was designed to check the presence of those data. So, when the installer doesn't find what it was looking for, ......
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 8th Jun 2014 at 18:01. Reason: disambiguation
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like copy protected sectors like intentional errors, ect. Years ago existed s/w called "Blind Read" and "Blind Write" that could deal with that, don't know if those are still out there.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  10. Possibly SecuRom protection or similar. Slysoft Game Jackal might be able to create a profile for your computer. Another guess.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    You need to identify the type of protection first. Go to MyCE and post in the Copy Protection forum: http://club.myce.com/f80/

I am not familiar with this subject, but a moderator over there called Terramex may be able to help you. Discussions of copy protections have dwindled down, except for the ongoing hexalock thread.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have tried to identify the protection via various protection identifiers - but all report the same......unknown protection?

Thanks Kerry56, but have been over there and as you said, not a lot going on anymore apart from Hexalock.

I think this is going to be the "one that got away", been on this for over a week now, without any success and quite a few postings, but it would appear to be one that people have not come across.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why not try DVDDecrpter,FixVts and DVDshrink
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by joeandmarg0 View Post
    Why not try DVDDecrpter,FixVts and DVDshrink
    ...because DVD video rippers are only able to address the kinds of copy protection used on DVD video discs, and the OP is copying a DVD-ROM containing a PC program, which uses different forms of copy protection than a DVD video disc on DVD-ROM.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by robspro View Post
    I think this is going to be the "one that got away", been on this for over a week now, without any success and quite a few postings, but it would appear to be one that people have not come across.
    Hey - Did you even read or better yet try my suggestion in m first response? Rather than basically saying "Aw shucks, I can't copy this." I'd think you might give it a shot. I'm a bit tired of wasting my time if you're not even going to pay attention so best of luck to you.
    Quote Quote  
  16. In post #4 he said he tried Alcohol-120.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As a 'wild' guess I would say it's....

ProtectDISC Software is a copy protection and digital rights management solution for Microsoft Windows applications and video games on mass replicated CDs and DVDs, designed to prevent the copying of discs for casual or commercial use. Early versions were only capable of protecting CDs, but support for protecting DVDs and online unlocking was added in later versions. The system adds a unique digital signature to the CD or DVD at the time of replication, which cannot be transferred from the original media to a copy. Each time a protected program runs, the program performs various security checks and verifies the signature on the media, and once verification has been established, the program will start normally.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hi jman98,

Thanks for you response, i appreciate your comments and all the input from everybody else, but i have already tried Alchol120 and it behaved as all the other software i have tried. They all complete the copies but ALL still have the software check. I think the comments from usually_quiet are correct, most of the software, if not all i have tried(and indeed available) is pitched at DVD Movie extraction/copy, not data as i require. The images when i have created them, also fail to mount on virtual drives as well?

Regards

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DB83, thanks...

I think you are spot on. I eluded to something like what you have described in an earlier post (post 6). I didn't know if this was possible, but you have confirmed. I presume that there is not a work around available to this encryption?

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a tool that will confirm if ProtectDisc is in use.

Do a 'Google' with "disable protectdisc" as the search and you will see various links some mention the clarification tool such as...

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_protections_protectdvd-rom.shtml

This one discusses solutions:

http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f18/backup-protect-disc-v9-30207/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DB83, thanks for all your help - will try your advice. I know i have had a bit of difficulty getting Protection ID to work on my PC, even with Administrative rights, it has still given the "unknown or non Protection" result. However will give it another go and report back

Regards

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never had reason to use this so do not know if it just checks for this type of protection. If it does then the 'wild' guess is as useful as Penalty shoot-outs from England
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Give Isobuster a try and see if it will list the various programme items,which may enable you to pick out the wanted sections.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    joeandmarg0,

Thanks have done what you said and found the two files which i think relate to the ID check - have removed and re-burned, but the disc fails completely. That's why i think i need to add to the files to stop the process and make it think its checked the ID.

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Run Protection ID and has anybody heard of " inno setup v5.5.0 module"

Regards

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is the installer. Seems to hide the actual protection.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Hope this is not too late (and wrong forum/thread) but I found a solution at this similar problem with the same Health, Safety and Environment DVD error "Counterfeit or Virtual DVD Detected". Restriction which is rather stupid because even if you may not need a copy of the DVD but most laptops these days don't even have a optical drive.
    Thanks to DB83 research
    There is a tool that will confirm if ProtectDisc is in use.

Do a 'Google' with "disable protectdisc" as the search and you will see various links some mention the clarification tool such as...

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_protections_protectdvd-rom.shtml
    I found a daemon tool solution and by adding the virtual drive as IDE device you can mount the .iso and run the program without problems.
    The bad side is that you need daemon tools pro and that's a 20 days trial, if you want it for free.

thx all
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!