VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, ok second post here, so this has been plaguing me for some time and I really really want to fix this issue once and for all.

I will try and give you all enough information as much as possible to explain whats going on.

Basically the audio pops intermittently throughout videos and its really spoiling the overall quality of the videos by great udio and video and then this pop pop pop or more of a click click click.

I record Youtube Videos of Gaming in a Program Called Litecam HD, its a 64bit bit recording software which is by far the best I have used for recording. It asks for audio and video Codecs of course so the the system audio from the game is set at 16bit 48khz and microphone 16bit 48khz, this is the settings in the software itself, the video codec is FFDshow AVI uncompressed.

See screenshot for Audio and for video settings in ffdshow and also media info from a recording etc.

OK I use a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO ssd so there is a ton of speed in the HDD, my i7 is clocked out to 4.9ghz and the I/O and game and audio processes have higher priority, the system is tweaked and very high end, I have a very low latency in therms of audio and my computer settings for the Creative Recon Sound Card is 16bit 48khz and thats across the board.

I use a high end Creative Recon Sound Card, I use a very high quality Alto EDGE Microphone etc, so the quility and speed is behind me but the intermittent pops or clicks remain (click click click or pop pop pop)

Looking at the Media info you will see that PCM is the audio standard in the AVI, I was hoping someone could shed some light on this, do I need to reconfigure ffdshow to a different audio codec etc for the uncompressed avi??

When I tried to reconfigure in the audio part of ffdshow it did nothing in terms of the avi recording with the PCM audio. BTW I changed the settings in the x64 aand 32 bit ffdshows installed, please check the .reg files which are the programs total video and audio settings exported here if you want to check out exact settings etc I have.

When I record using windows 7 x64 bits basic sound recorder the audio is perfect, super perfect with no pops or clicks like (click click click sometimes this occurs just after I speak etc I will also give you a video link of one of my videos and some exact times in the video where the clicks are, remember there is the game audio and my commentary so maybe a little hard to pick.

But please guys if you have anything I can try to eliminate these horrible clicks forever I am all ears and really wants someone to hep me with this issue, many thanks in advance, cheers mat.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ok Video is here and also times where the pops or clicks are below:

Video example: http://youtu.be/x0tz-f6Igt4

Pop or clicks exact times they appear in vid:

- 9 Seconds
    - 23 Seconds
    -46 Seconds
    - 1.10 Seconds

And so on, the clicks are only one per times above but sometimes they can be click click click in a row

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks guys
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	25601  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. When I record using windows 7 x64 bits basic sound recorder the audio is perfect, super perfect with no pops or clicks

Quick fix is to mux the good sound with the video.
    The clicks (edited separately and joined together) give a consistent sound not unlike a 'popup blocker' or an 'email notification' tone.
    Do you have a browser or an email ticker running as a background task?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    When I record using windows 7 x64 bits basic sound recorder the audio is perfect, super perfect with no pops or clicks

Quick fix is to mux the good sound with the video.
    The clicks (edited separately and joined together) give a consistent sound not unlike a 'popup blocker' or an 'email notification' tone.
    Do you have a browser or an email ticker running as a background task?
    Hey Transport, thanks heaps for your reply, ok there is nothing that I can think of that would be in the background causing the Issue, I have steam running in the background which is the games interface, I have litecam hd running, my microphone is cushioned on proper sound proof foam, the pc is a VERY quite liquid cooled machine, no vibrations or anything else nearby.

Again I do not know of any services that reminds me of anything, any thoughts of what it could be?
    Quote Quote  
  4. None at all, I'm afraid. It was a 'best guess'. It could be a lot of things; P-popping most probably. Try moving the mic further away.

http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/microphones/popping.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    None at all, I'm afraid. It was a 'best guess'. It could be a lot of things; P-popping most probably. Try moving the mic further away.

No mate anything at this stage is good, I am exceptionally sure that its not that as I have tested recording with myself speaking ever so quietly to eliminate the idea that it is pops etc from my voice pushing sound, but thank you all the same, anyone else with any ideas.......please?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mdexter View Post
    None at all, I'm afraid. It was a 'best guess'. It could be a lot of things; P-popping most probably. Try moving the mic further away.

No mate anything at this stage is good, I am exceptionally sure that its not that as I have tested recording with myself speaking ever so quietly to eliminate the idea that it is pops etc from my voice pushing sound, but thank you all the same, anyone else with any ideas.......please?

I don't hear any clicks. I can hear a noise that sounds like a squawk just after the word "base" at 46 seconds.
    That noise is very similar to the noise I get from my DVD player if the unit is having problems reading the disk.
    (For example something I burned using cheap media at too high a speed)
    I assume in my case some crap data goes through the DA converter; what with error correction kicking in,
    the electronics do the best they can- but some pretty weird noises sometimes make it to the speakers.
    Basically due to corruption in the digital data.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Originally Posted by mdexter View Post

I don't hear any clicks. I can hear a noise that sounds like a squawk just after the word "base" at 46 seconds.
    That noise is very similar to the noise I get from my DVD player if the unit is having problems reading the disk.
    (For example something I burned using cheap media at too high a speed)
    I assume in my case some crap data goes through the DA converter; what with error correction kicking in,
    the electronics do the best they can- but some pretty weird noises sometimes make it to the speakers.
    Basically due to corruption in the digital data.
    Hey dave, thanks for the reply, no the media has been changed from one HDD to an SSD, its exactly the same, these noises are like a tick, they are not anything related to media as I have changed the storage, its definitely something else, thanks anyway dave, appreciate the reply
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, ok I have just gone an made a popping filter for my microphone, works excellent, but the click click clicks are still occuring.........oh boy, guys can someone please help me to change the default avi audio codec that windows 7 uses to record??

I am using uncompressed avi to record, can any one please help me here?

SO here is the Audio that default avi is using to record, this is from the media info collected on my raw avi files:

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : 1
    Duration : 6mn 4s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
    Channel count : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 66.7 MiB (0%)
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 997 ms (59.85 video frames)

I would like to change a deafult audio codec that windows uses above to see if that helps, I huess I am just trying anything now!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can't you clean up the audio in an audio editor?
    How about posting a sample of the unprocessed audio showing the problem straight from the capture?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that is a massive undertaking every video as the audio for the game sound and my commentary is all in the avi file itself, so I have pre adjusted audio levels etc, I need to be able to fix this in the first place.

Ok here is one of my avi's I have recorded yesterday and I have extracted the audio from the avi, please listen and you will hear around three pops or clicks, these examples are around medium of some clicks etc so this is an average example but you absolutely get the gist guys
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. Since Windows sound recorder works fine, why not use that ?

Does Litecam HD actually access ffdshow audio ? Do you see the ffdshow audio icon pop up while recording? (and ffdshow video settings shouldn't affect audio). In ffdshow audio configuration, try hitting reset button, push apply, ok.

If that still doesn't work, and you feel ffdshow is the culprit, you can uninstall ffdshow and replace with lav filters (lav audio) , or keep them both installed and just increase the merit of lav (decrease the merit of ffdshow)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Since Windows sound recorder works fine, why not use that ?

Does Litecam HD actually access ffdshow audio ? Do you see the ffdshow audio icon pop up while recording? (and ffdshow video settings shouldn't affect audio). In ffdshow audio configuration, try hitting reset button, push apply, ok.

If that still doesn't work, and you feel ffdshow is the culprit, you can uninstall ffdshow and replace with lav filters (lav audio) , or keep them both installed and just increase the merit of lav (decrease the merit of ffdshow)
    Thanks for replying poison, yes litecam hd does use the ffdshow directly as seen here and yes it does come up with the icon in the system tray when working, 100% for sure

Ok in regards to lav, what settings exactly do I need, I use cyberlink power director to render etc and it works perfect but if you have the exact settings for lav please advise but I dont think cyberlink powerdirector likes lav, do sharks codecs allow for me to change the PCM audio as default for avi;s and the original screenie of ffdshow doesnt seem to change the audio from PCM etc

Sorry for sounding like a newbie but I am a bit of a newbie in terms of audio issues etc like this, many thanks for any guidance and actual settings I need to make this work, thanks so very much guys

BTW the image below doesnt show litecam as it allows it to record without the program etc, but yes it does all you ask directly
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture_125.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	25616  

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys could it be a buffer issue or something like that?

Can I fix or repair the PCM Audio on my PC, like reinstalling it?

Guys any other suggestions?

Hi Poison, I removed ffdshow and installed lav, could not use litecam as lav did not appear in the codec list, so I uninstalled and reinstalled ffdshow with default settings.

There were a few clicks over a 10 minute recording, there wernt as much but they were there, guys what about replacing the PCM codec again, any other ideas guys I am desperate to fix this.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  14. I downloaded the sample in the first post and I can hear the pops/clicks, however.......

It would appear ffdshow is being used to encode the video but it has no audio encoder. Only audio decoders. The screenshot of the ffdshow video encoder configuration you posted is for the video encoder. How do you configure the audio encoding for the capture program? What are the choices?

I did just notice the ffdshow audio decoder appears in VirtualDub's audio compression setup, but I don't know exactly why it's there. All it does is produce an error if I try to use it.

I very much doubt ffdshow has anything to do with the audio capture/encoding. Can you post screenshots of the options the capture program gives you for configuring audio?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I downloaded the sample in the first post and I can hear the pops/clicks, however.......

It would appear ffdshow is being used to encode the video but it has no audio encoder. Only audio decoders. The screenshot of the ffdshow video encoder configuration you posted is for the video encoder. How do you configure the audio encoding for the capture program? What are the choices?

I did just notice the ffdshow audio decoder appears in VirtualDub's audio compression setup, but I don't know exactly why it's there. All it does is produce an error if I try to use it.

I very much doubt ffdshow has anything to do with the audio capture/encoding. Can you post screenshots of the options the capture program gives you for configuring audio?
    Ok Litecam HD doesnt want to be visible in screenshots, go figure, it has the normal 16bit 48 khz setting which I have it set on, I also have the windows audio on the same thing also, the drivers for my realtek audio and my sound blaster recon are the latest drivers also.

I agree with the ffdshow and it must have something to do with the PCM audio etc as that is the default uncompressed audio codec for the avi file.

Something is interfering into that recording, there are no other settings in litecam which would do that.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Your screenshot shows the ffdshow VIDEO configuration, not audio

Does the ffdshow AUDIO configuration pop up when recording ? (blue icon, not yellow icon)

Did you try resetting ffdshow settings ? (push the reset button in the 1st post screenshot in the audio configuration - blue icon, apply, ok)

You're recording uncompressed PCM audio - there should be nothing wrong with that (or your hardware, or drivers) since Windows sound recorder works fine. ffdshow audio decoder might be used in an intermediate step in the chain (post processing, filters) as it recieves the output from Litecam HD, but it's not show in your screenshot or you posted the wrong screenshot
    Quote Quote  
  17. If it was me..... maybe for a lack of a better place to start..... I'd disable overclocking completely, run the motherboard as close to the BIOS defaults as possible (even check for a newer BIOS version), and I'd unplug any hardware not required at the time..... just to see what happens. It sounds like it might be a hardware glitch to me. Or the soundcard is momentarily too busy, or something like that.....

Have you noticed (unless it's just the way the Youtube audio was re-encoded) the audio drops out completely every so often in addition to the unwanted pops and clicks? The blue arrow is the glitch at 1 minute 9 seconds, the red arrows are two places where the audio isn't. Should that be happening?

Click image for larger version

Name:	wave.gif
Views:	1971
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	25627
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    If it was me..... maybe for a lack of a better place to start..... I'd disable overclocking completely, run the motherboard as close to the BIOS defaults as possible (even check for a newer BIOS version), and I'd unplug any hardware not required at the time..... just to see what happens. It sounds like it might be a hardware glitch to me. Or the soundcard is momentarily too busy, or something like that.....

Have you noticed (unless it's just the way the Youtube audio was re-encoded) the audio drops out completely every so often in addition to the unwanted pops and clicks? The blue arrow is the glitch at 1 minute 9 seconds, the red arrows are two places where the audio isn't. Should that be happening?

[Attachment 25627 - Click to enlarge]
    Ok my bios issue is a whole other ballgame, my machine wont power off after installing the latest bios issue which is really unfortunate as my machine is super stable, now in terms of a buffer etc, I am assuming there is some sort of buffer for Audio, again I don't know where to start here but is there an audio buffer that I can increase??

I am guessing that it would be at youtubes reencoding that would cause the silent bnits, I mean I upload to youtube with the AVC H264 encoded videos at 7000 kbps bitrate, they are very high quality in terms of overall quality and size and I use youtubes exact best practice methods of uploading etc.

The audio where its flat is definitely a mystery, I mean I do not change any settings or normalization or anything else, the audio is recorded at the very same level every time, and if its not my commentary its the game audio playing in the game all the time, it would have to be a dead spot in the game etc, so can anyone jump in here and advise is this a buffer thing etc, where and how can I increase my buffer etc to give the audio a greater buffer etc to do its thing??

Thanks all for your help
    Quote Quote  
  19. You could also try turning off your anti-virus (disconnect from internet). Avast scans any additional data added to a file (just an example). It's just a thought if processing time is critical.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could also try turning off your anti-virus (disconnect from internet). Avast scans any additional data added to a file (just an example). It's just a thought if processing time is critical.
    Thanks transport, I use a program called Process Lasso, a very powerful utility that allows you to have complete control over every process and service on the system, amazing program, so I have all audio services etc running in real time, all threads and high I/O priority, my memory usage, and its avoiding a pro balance restraint if the system becomes bogged down, my question is is there a registry setting that will allow the buffer for audio etc to be increased etc?

I will try the Antivirus for sure
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Hi I've got the same problem. I am using liteCam for recording with my Zoom H1 conected to a USB (as a mic). If I record with Audacity it soulds perfect. But if I record with liteCam I get sound-popping and crackling problem. This happens no matter if I record with liteCam in General option, Video option, or Audio option. In all the cases I have this problem. As I said, with Audacity the sound is cristal clear.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Then use Audacity and remux the Audacity audio with the LiteCAM video? Just a suggestion.
    Maybe LiteCam uses a proprietary driver or codec which doesn't get along with your sound card. Best check with them.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!