VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need to analyze a series I'm watching for a job I'm involved in.

So I wonder if there's a way to capture HD video from my sat receiver. I'm pretty sure there's no way.

So I'm even considering taping it, directly from my plasma screen, using my HDV camera.

As I'm used to capture HDV from Avid, and I don't want to through it for this, I need something simpler. How can I capture HDV on a simple way?

After that I intend to use Vidcoder to convert the file to mkv and burn a DVD from it.

In that way I should be able to analyze things as I want to.

Do you have any other suggestions for this project?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can use any HDMI capture device like the Happauge HD PVR 2 or ElGato Game Capture HD along with an HDCP stripper.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What's an HDCP stripper and how I use it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. They usually take the form of a splitter. This thread has some examples:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers

Note that not all HDMI splitters will strip HDCP.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can also use component cables to capture if your sat receiver has the outputs and the capture card has component inputs.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At first I misunderstood that you had said that all spliters would strip HDCP. A splitter is just a box that splits one input onto several similar outputs, I don't think they can strip anything away from the signal.

Which splitter will strip it? Is this question similar to "alternative sat receivers", where signal is codified continuously? Or this strippers are more effective?

Unfortunately not: my sat box does not have component outputs and I have no capture card either.
    Last edited by carlmart; 8th Jun 2014 at 04:30.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
    ...I don't think they can strip anything away from the signal.
    Did you bother to read the thread to which he linked? All your questions are answered in there.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't read it all, just part of it. It's 19 pages.

Perhaps someone did have a shorter version.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From what I'm reading, and I might be misreading, this capture does not seem like a sure thing.

I'm also not clear on how do I input on my computer, as I do not have a capture card. Do I use the usb interface on the El Gato or Hauppauge?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
    From what I'm reading, and I might be misreading, this capture does not seem like a sure thing.
    Determining which devices strip HDCP is the hard part. I have no idea what's available in Brazil. In the thread I linked to there are some devices imported by CVID and ViewHD.

Another possibility is to get an HDMI to component video device like the HDFury2. Then use an high def component capture device.

Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
    I'm also not clear on how do I input on my computer, as I do not have a capture card. Do I use the usb interface on the El Gato or Hauppauge?
    The devices I mentioned use USB 2 to connect to the computer and the have hardware h.264 encoders (the ElGato has better image quality but their software requires a more powerful computer). There are also PCIe capture devices that can capture uncompressed video but you'll need a fairly powerful computer to use them.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whatever the HDCP device, it will always be imported. Whether by me or by some company.

I'm not too much interested in component video, and as I don't have a capture device on the computer, I'd prefer usb if possible.

This the one that is sold here and reported by a friend of mine that does work:

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-558401914-splitter-distribuidor-divisor-hdmi-14...full-hd-3d-_JM

That about $44.

The question is what I connect after it that will do a better job.

This friend says the Hauppauge will capture up to 9Mbps and the Roxio up to Mbps. He never used the El gato, which is more or less the same price as those other two here, which is about $200-250.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The Hauppauge HD PVR 2 captures up to 14 Mb/s. The ElGato Game Capture HD captures up to 30 Mb/s. I wrote some details about them recently:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356887-Best-HDMI-Capture-Device-for-Satellite-TV-Ga...=1#post2325334
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
    Whatever the HDCP device, it will always be imported. Whether by me or by some company.

I'm not too much interested in component video, and as I don't have a capture device on the computer, I'd prefer usb if possible.

This the one that is sold here and reported by a friend of mine that does work:

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-558401914-splitter-distribuidor-divisor-hdmi-14...full-hd-3d-_JM

That about $44.

The question is what I connect after it that will do a better job.

This friend says the Hauppauge will capture up to 9Mbps and the Roxio up to Mbps. He never used the El gato, which is more or less the same price as those other two here, which is about $200-250.
    Hi carlmart,

1 - Yes. This splitter will work withany source (NET Digital, Sky, PS3)
    2 - In Brazil has Avermedia Game Capture 2. Its a external box (no need any Pc/Notebook) capture at 20k bitrate for p sources or 15k for i sources.
    3 - Roxio is wrost choice. Its have a pbigger problems using USB , because its no powered capture.
    4 - Elgato is good. The software is easy.
    5 - If you have awesome quality, Avermedia ExtremeCap U3 Placa de Captura HDMI FULLHD
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    2 - In Brazil has Avermedia Game Capture 2. Its a external box (no need any Pc/Notebook) capture at 20k bitrate for p sources or 15k for i sources.
    Also known as the Live Gamer Portable:

http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-Portable-Capture-Xbox360-60Mbps/dp/B00B2IZ3B0

I hear it always deinterlaces (poorly) when capturing 1080i. That's a disaster for live sports.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    Also known as the Live Gamer Portable:

http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-Portable-Capture-Xbox360-60Mbps/dp/B00B2IZ3B0

I hear it always deinterlaces (poorly) when capturing 1080i. That's a disaster for live sports.
    Game Capture 2 too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Carlmart in quality image Aver Extreme is much superior, because you can use lossless codecs + Virtualdub / AmarecTV, perfect quality, and over 60k bitrate using Hardware Encode and 1080p@60fps.

Its my next purchase.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @carlmart Hopefully your satellite receiver is a PVR/DVR. In many cases HD capture devices don't work with third-party Windows PVR software, and the bundled capture software must be operated manually.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let's get more primitive and simple, until I make my mind on what capture unit I will go for.

Yesterday I shot directly from the plasma screen, using my HDV camera. Far from ideal, I know. But please stay with me.

Now I have to upload the video onto my computer, in order to process it with Vidcoder.

How do I capture HDV stuff from a camera? All I could find on Google goes through Premiere, FC ou Avid, which I do no want to get into. There should a be a simpler way, which I think I did use in the past. How should I proceed?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Firewire cable from camcorder to computer. Any software that can capture HDV. Like HDVSplit,
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I could capture the file alright.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!