VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a star wars attack of the clones BDMV folder that plays on xbmc, alien subs show if selected. Now I want to create a mkv using mkvtoolnix on osx with the alien subs forced. I identified the PGS track that I need, unchecked all others. The resulting mkv seems to have the alien PGS track but only the first line will show, after that nothing. I then extracted the PGS track and opened it in subtitle edit. All lines have a negative duration (except the first one).

How can I make mkvtoolnix to get the PGS track right? I could always mix in a .srt but I prefer to have the original bluray subs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How do you extract the subtitle track? What software?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I used mkvtoolnix on osx both to remux to .mkv and to extract a .pgs to .mks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. By using MKVToolNix I take it you mean either mkvextract/MKVExtractGUI2/MKVCleaver.

And since you use Subtitle Edit you also have access to a Windows.

Have you tried open the extracted .SUP in BDSup2Sub(++) and see the timing?. Perhaps use "Fix too short frames" in Settings -> Conversion settings. I believe it will keep your original images for the subs. Otherwise Subtitle Edit can export SUP (PGS) from a SRT but of course that wouldn't be the original.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mkvtoolnix has a bug when used to extract pgs subtitles

The author of mkvtoolnix has said to use other methods to extract pgs subtitles.

You can use subtitle edit's import from matroska (.mkv) file feature to confirm timings without the need to extract them ... extraction is only necessary if somethings gone wrong. export as xml/png
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    @videobruger: I used mkvmerge gui 6.9.1 on os x.

@bjs: a bug, good to known

Makemkv does the job. I now have a .mkv remux with the original alien pgs subs forced. Works in vlc and xbmc. Beautiful.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!