VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Thread
  1. Member munkyh3ad's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Location: Cybertron
    Search PM
    Hello all,

    Not long ago i've purchased an LG Smart TV: model 42la640s and i want to transfer my physical DVDs to an external HDD and play via usb, but i always get stuck at subtitles and quit and come later back at it and repeat, hoping that i will get it right eventually. Here is what i do:

    1) I copy all .vob files from DVD to my PC
    2) I unite them using command prompt into a big .vob
    3) Demux with DGindex (video and usually two audio)
    4) Demux with VobEdit (twice to get 2 subtitles as .SUP)
    5) Convert subtitles with SubtitleEdit (to .srt)
    6) Remux with MeGUI

    I do this because with the big .vob i noticed using MediaInfo that the subtitle text is in a different format, unlike some other video i have where i can select subtitles on my TV. So i think that's why my TV doesn't recognize subtitles from the big .vob file.

    MediaInfo example:
    1) my big .vob (doesn't recognize subtitles)__________2) some other .mkv i have (does recognize subtitles)

    Text #1______________________________________Text #1
    ID_________________: 189 (0xBD)-32 (0x20)_______ID____________: 4
    Format_____________: RLE_____________________Codec ID_______: S_TEXT/UTF8
    Format/Info_________: Run-length encoding________Codec ID/Info___: UTF-8 Plain Text
    Muxing mode________: DVD-Video________________Title___________: SRT
    Duration____________: 23mn 19s________________Language______: English
    Delay relative to video_: 1s 101ms________________Default_________: Yes
    ____________________________________________Forced _________: No

    So how is the right way to make the subtitles i have to match the subtitles that my TV recognizes? In manual or the LG site it doesn't specify the subtitle formats that the TV plays but searching online i've found that it recognizes SMI SRT SUB TXT from what others say.
    Last edited by munkyh3ad; 7th Jun 2014 at 16:09.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Normal method is to place a video file and its subtitle file on a flash drive, rename the subtitle so both files have same name ... and enjoy.

    Muxed subtitles generally wont work in this case and neither will vob files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member fritzi93's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: U.S.
    Search Comp PM
    My two-year old LG 65LW6500 will recognize muxed .srt subs. But it was an upper tier model at the time.

    So either LG didn't include that capability on your particular TV, or you're buggering the subs somehow.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date: Sep 2012
    Location: Australia
    Search Comp PM
    RLE subtitles... I've only encountered them once and don't actually know what to do with them. You could try using Subextractor to get at them and convert them to something useful (srt or VobSub), I used EAC3To to extract them once and it mussed up the timings to the point where they were useless.
    Last edited by ndjamena; 9th Jun 2014 at 17:31.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member munkyh3ad's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Location: Cybertron
    Search PM
    Thank you all for the reply. It's an japanese amine series, it has colored subtitles for the opening and ending theme, sign are also translated and have different font, so the whole DVD has 3 audio channels (japanese, english and some episodes have commentary) and also 2 subtitles (english and one just signs and lyrics for the themes). I want all these in the same package, to be able to play all episodes al leisure from my HDD. So far i've made an mp4 and can select audio channels but can't select subtitles in the TV menu.

    Next weekend when i get more time i will try out different programs and see how it goes. So far what i've used were top results from google when i encountered a prob and needed a solution. Will report back, hopefully with a solution.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date: Sep 2012
    Location: Australia
    Search Comp PM
    In case you run into the same issue, I just used BDSup2Sub to convert my sample RLE subtitles to VOBSUBs and it fixed the broken timings. Now I should be able to use SubExtractor on the VOBSUBs to get fully functional srts, which should play perfectly on your TV.

    -Edit- Or you could just keep them as VOBSUB I guess.
    Quote Quote