VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

I want to start transferring vhs to anything else and I am clueless as to my options.

I have a new camcorder Panasonic HC v750...a fairly new PC with USB 3.0, HDMI and several other ports on the computer I know little about...

Can someone please help me with options (if any)?

THANK YOU!

Eric
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The new camcorder won't help you.

You have many options to digitize the VHS:
    1) Standalone DVD recorder (no PC needed)
    2) DV Bridge (Canopus ADVC-100 or DV camcorder with pass thru and firewire out)
    3) USB capture dongle or USB PVR
    4) PCI capture card

The HDMI port you list is a display output. You can't capture VHS with it. However, if you want to capture with HDMI you can purchase a Black Magic card.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The easiest method that gives decent quality is to get a DVD recorder and record one hour per single layer DVD. The best method will cost you several hundred dollars in equipment and you will spend months learning how to capture, filter, and encode video. The DVD recorder method will usually not work for commercial VHS tapes because of Macrovision protection.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I appreciate your help.

I am going to start with the dongle option and go from there. I will update this and hopefully help someone else...Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeah get a usb video card (search best buy) or a TV Tuner card for you pc... they usually come with software for ripping your movies to you PC.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!