VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all
    Hoping that there is a solution to this situation....please please HELP!

Situation is like this:

I recently captured video of my cousin’s wedding reception using canon 5dmarkII DSLR and external mic. 80% of the clips are fine but 20% of the clips are without audio….the reason its critical is that 20% includes speech by bride and groom!

Reason for above situation:
    That external mic has an on off button which accidentally was turned off in between (I also had no idea that once the external mic is plugged in it will override the inbuilt mic of the camera body)

Is there a way we can recover the sound from these clips? If you know any expert out there who is willing to shed some light in this awful situation it will be greatly appreciated.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Unfortunately, there is no sound on these clips to recover. It isn't magically hiding somewhere. You recorded your tracks with a "dead" mic. The non-sound overrode the camera's internal microphone.

If others recorded the speeches on their phones, etc. you may be able to collect that from them and sync it to your video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks smrpix

I sort of knew the answer
    But as you said I was hoping there is a magician out there!

Now just hope that someone recorded entire speech.

Will any of below software help? I am googling a lot now to get me out of this situation:

http://grauonline.de/cms2/?page_id=5

http://www.remosoftware.com/remo-repair-mov

appreciate your prompt response
    Quote Quote  
  4. Repair software won't help because there's just a blank signal. FWIW I had a similar situation with a partially-plugged mic at an event a couple of weeks ago (and I've been doing this a long time.) Fortunately I had an external recorder wired into the house system. Syncing the audio and video was -- well no fun, but it worked. So you have my sympathies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @wax321, there is nothing there to "repair", because there is nothing there that is "broken", as far as a computer is concerned. You got a clean, nice recording of silence (at least during that segment). Like if you had shot a video and during the shoot someone had temporarily put the lens cap back on. There is NOTHING there to recover.

Your wish now should be that there were others doing the recording also and that they got it.

Should you find a copy from someone else and need to synchronize it, don't hesitate to check back here. Otherwise, I hate to say it but your are OUT OF LUCK!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks smrpix and cornucopia

A big lesson learnt.

Now, lets say I get the recording from someone else.

Which is the best way to extract audio from 'their video' and sync it into mine?.
    Great appreciate you guys sharing your experience.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depends on their audio and their video formats (codecs, containers). Virtualdub, Audacity or ffmpeg all have facilities for stripping out the audio from video.

Start with checking via MediaInfo to see what they (and you) really are working with.

Once you (and we) know what your base formats are, that will guide you as to which are the most straightforward, quick, and/or high-quality ways of syncing (which may be mutually exclusive, depending).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you can't get the audio from elsewhere, have you tried boosting the "silent" clips by 90dB?

Sometimes something breaks through, even when something is switched off. e.g. the isolation of the camera's internal microphone might not be perfect.

You are unlikely to be lucky, but it's easy enough to try. I recovered part of a wedding this way - I had a direct connection to the PA, but the PA operator didn't want part of the ceremony coming through the PA system and dragged the faders right down. You couldn't even see the waveform: it peaked at -68dB, but amazingly it was all there intact and recoverable. Thanks to a decent mixing desk and a decent ADC, it didn't even need noise reduction*. You're not going to be that lucky, but try it anyway.

* - unfortunately, a few minutes later, he dragged another set of faders down and the signal dropped to peaking at -85dB. Still audible, but needed a huge amount of noise reduction to be half-usable.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by wax321 View Post
    Now, lets say I get the recording from someone else.

Which is the best way to extract audio from 'their video' and sync it into mine?.
    In addition to what Scott has already said, NLEs like Premiere and Vegas can handle many formats without pre-conversion, just load them in. You're really going to want to be working in a decent NLE when you're doing your syncing anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone....you all are really experts and very helpful indeed

I have managed to get speeches from someone else. But its in a blu ray dvd format.

Without being too technical can you kindly advice (in layman's terms) how do I now extract sound out of this blu ray dvd and sync it:
    basically i need following:

recommended software to extract sound out of blu ray disc

and then

best software to merge them together.

I am going to use my uncle's computer for doing all this and he mentioned he already has Final Cut pro installed on his mac. (just mentioning if that helps)

Thanks heaps once again
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think you might be either a little confused or not being technical enough: there is no such thing as "Blu-ray DVD format". There is either "Blu-ray" format(s) or "DVD" format(s). Both physical & logical/application (though it is possible to have DVD-Video application format on Blu-ray physical media and vice-versa, but those are NON-standard).

If it is still on the disc, look and see what kind it is (using the "What Is" guides up at the top of this site.

You will/should be ripping & then demuxing to elementary streams (separate video & audio), so you can use them in your program (NLE). Which kind of streams and which ripping/demuxing app(s) you use will depend upon which format it is. What you DON'T want to do is an unnecessary conversion.

You could also run MediaInfo on the files on disc (VOB in the case of DVD-Video application, and M2TS in the case of Blu-ray BDMV application) and post what you get here. Would help us help you.

Sounds like you meant a Blu-ray disc, so you probably would be using DVDFabHDDecrypter, MakeMKV or similar BD ripping app, and then something to demux (depending)...

Give us more info, please.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!