VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, I introduced myself last time as workting for a non-profit educational org (www.theicc.net / www.worde.org ) and some of you were kind enough to help me grab a file (you used rtm dump? something like that, i remember the name was awful !) - I could not find a version of the program that ran with my computer.

In the meantime:

C-Span sent my organization a copy of this presentation on DVD (my boss is the lady on the far right and colleages are in the middle!!!)- I have this DVD right here on my desk, alas, my 2009 iMac no longer accepts DVD's (it has been shaky ever since I got it and got progressively worse as the years went on) --- In short, I really need to find a way to grab this presentation:

http://www.c-span.org/video/?317875-1/civil-society-afghanistan

Can anyone help me or tell me a good way to grab it? I've tried MPEG Streamclip to no avail... Your help or advice would be most appreciated...

Thanks a trillion dollars,
    Yoshi
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    youtube-dl is an easy way to download c-span videos.

Just type:

youtube-dl "url to video"

on the command line.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks ponens, this seems like a revolutionary thing... I'm on the download page, what kind people.

How do I download it for Mac osx? I note from their website that osx is supported, but on the download page ( http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/download.html ) I don't see which option i need? Do I get the windows version???

Thanks so much, hope this works
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And I have no idea what python interpreter is!?? The python page is a little scary to be honest... I mean as someone who's not very code proficient in any language aside from v basic html,, and has no idea what this all means
    Last edited by yoshi_114; 2nd Jun 2014 at 14:17.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    The windows version is just a single small standalone executable. You needn't concern yourself with anything about python, unless you are naturally curious.

They list discreet instructions for OS X using sudo curl or sudo wget. If this is not something you feel you can do on OS X, just forget about youtube-dl.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks again ponens ... I believe I've encountered "sudo" before- this means that this youtube-dl thing is something that i use the mac terminal for, correct?

And finally, just to be clear (sorry!) - I'm still confused about the download page, it has a download link for .exe (windows) and full source (is that the one i need?)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I mean it says, To install it right away for all UNIX users (Linux, OS X, etc.), type:
    sudo curl https://yt-dl.org/downloads/2014.06.02/youtube-dl -o /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl

sudo chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl

So i just type that into my Mac Terminal and it'll install, correct???
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Ok, just forget about youtube-dl. Instead, find the very long, one-time-use url. It will look like this (note that the following one will have expired):
    Code:
    http://d19cp144waw2mw.cloudfront.net/trimmed/full/317/317875-1/317875-1-MP4-STD_01.mp4?Policy=eyJTdGF0ZW1lbnQiOlt7IlJlc291cmNlIjoiaHR0cDovL2QxOWNwMTQ0d2F3Mm13LmNsb3VkZnJvbnQubmV0L3RyaW1tZWQvZnVsbC8zMTcvMzE3ODc1LTEvMzE3ODc1LTEtTVA0LVNURF8wMS5tcDQiLCJDb25kaXRpb24iOnsiRGF0ZUxlc3NUaGFuIjp7IkFXUzpFcG9jaFRpbWUiOjE0MDE3NDc1NDR9LCJJcEFkZHJlc3MiOnsiQVdTOlNvdXJjZUlwIjoiOTcuMTE3LjE5My4xOSJ9fX1dfQ__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIHKVWBEAXX562G7Q&Signature=YPXtBPvsG4OWybByHxlUExctPIjsE4GC0H5XSlmD6kjaEkniLEmkzuAMf~GTUrA7QT5MCJtVeaAx6wcKAKALlFcM8TIf6jfUR6eJcgt6YcazFSsm0Cl7SKvsaJ6qlMVdV7ygQ3Yjy5rg1gA-XWJxNDh96~JbLGqRZjT1W824Alw_
    Last edited by ponens; 2nd Jun 2014 at 15:00.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks so much ponens, you are a lifesaver... !
    it worked, 20% done grabbing
    Y.

PS- Can I ask how you managed to get the first link??? This would help me so much going forward.... You could email the method if its easier (I'm at yoshi_114 [at] [hotmail.com]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    - delete -
    Quote Quote