VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello All,

I have a Pioneer DVR-534H that the hard drive has now failed on. I have followed the instructions from pioneerfaq, however I am unable to find where to download or acquire a copy of the required data disk (which is listed as GGV1273 TYPE 2). That is the only step that I cannot complete.

Could anyone let me know where I could find this? Otherwise the unit is in great shape and I still have a lot of use for a DVD/HDD recorder and without being able to purchase a new one, or at least extremely difficult, I would rather get this working.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think we have people who are Pioneer experts and can probably help you, but I want you to consider two things that others in your position often overlook. If you already thought about these, then good for you.

1) Even if you get the HDD working, and I think you probably will get the help you need to do so, eventually your burner WILL fail. DVD recorders don't last forever and you should not expect your model to be consumer repairable when the burner dies. The situation for DVD recorders is pretty grim in the USA and Canada as few consumers want them so only Magnavox bothers to stay in the market. Prices on Magnavox recorders are not exactly bargains in my opinion, so be prepared to face this eventually.
    2) We get a ton of posts all the time from lazy people who didn't bother to finalize their DVDs and now their recorder has died and they are screwed. So if you have a bunch of DVDs that you've been too lazy to finalize, get them finalized NOW while you still can, starting with the "must have"ones first. You really do not want to be another guy with a boatload of unfinalized DVDs he's having to buy software for to try to read the contents at which point he'll have to burn the contents to a brand new DVD. It's a lot less work to just finalize now than to have to rescue your discs later. And much cheaper to finalize them now then to have to buy specialized software to read the unfinalized discs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do have some more dvd recorders that I use so I'm not really lost with out it. Basically more of a project to get this working than anything else, especially since i have a lot of spare hard drives I can make use of. Also, since I purchased a service remote for the project I have spent a bit more money than I had planned to get this working. I was hoping the data disc was a bit easier to acquire (hopefully it is). The more HD video I work with the less use I have for the recorders, but I do like having a stand-alone no fuss deck to record dvds for the quick and dirty stuff.

I agree with the finalizing. Early on when DVD recorders came out I purchased an early model pioneer. Most of the time I didn't bother waiting the extra 2 minutes to finalize a disc. When the unit failed I was lucky enough to buy another pioneer deck. Not bothering to finalize wont happen again hah. I like how the Toshiba units finalize automatically when the disc gets full, but as time goes on there is less and less need for any of it.

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  4. Double check the recorder model number: you probably have a DVR-543HS (I don't think Canada had a DVR-534).

You can get a link to download a verified service disc image directly from the pioneerfaq website. Send a small PayPal donation to supportATpioneerfaqDOTinfo, it is a vital resource for us Pioneer recorder owners. After the donation, drop a line to Hakan at the same email address. Tell him you need a link to the Pioneer GGV 1321 Type2 I.D. Data Disc (get the 1321, it was the final revision of the Type 2 disc). Download the disc image, burn it, and follow the instructions you previously found on pioneerfaq.

Note there is point near the end of the instructions that is unclear in the English translation, that often trips people up. After the recorder displays "ROM Write OK!" and ejects the service disc, remove the disc but do not close the tray! Press the power button on the recorder, and it will close the tray by itself as it shuts down. If you close the tray with the open/close button, you'll interrupt the CPRM cycle and it may not "take," forcing you to start the whole process over again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much for the info. Yes you are correct. It is a DVR-543HS
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!