VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ...

CRITICALLY IMPORTANT

If anyone reading this post is a VideoHelp Administrator, or a forum member who knows how to contact the admins directly, please be aware that a DVD Authoring app -- DVDStyler -- appears to have a hidden installer (quite well hidden, it seems) for something called the Trovi.Com Virus/Trojan/Malware. VideoHelp does warn about adware prompts embedded in this app's installer, but somehow I missed seeing the one (if it is visible) that put the Trovi.com Trojan onto my computer.

When I installed DVD-Styler app, I was careful to pre-scan it with Avast and Malwarebytes, but the scans did not pick up any sign of a threat!!! And I paid attention (but maybe not quite enough) to each prompt notice during the installation process. Still this Trovi-whatever-it-is found its way in.

The Trovi.com Virus/Trojan re-assigns the Trovi.com web-site as a homepage on Google, MS-IE. Firefox and (presumably) Opera. It monitors your activity on the internet, and apparently other parts of your computer set-up as well.

I have run a full scan with MalwareBytes, which removed over 100 (A Hundred!!!!!!) objects, and now I'm running Avast to pluck out anything else that might remain. I'm also re-setting homepages on each browser I have.

That's all I have for now -- Just wanted everyone to be aware of this matter. BTW -- Unless someone knows otherwise, the DVD authoring app itself is OK. It's only the Trovi.com Virus/Trojan you have to watch out for.

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Video
    Last edited by Frank-0-Video; 1st Jun 2014 at 04:52.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    THe dvdstyler installation contains adware. I have already warned for it on the tools page.

Both programs have portable versions that shouldn't install anything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ...

Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    THe dvdstyler installation contains adware. I have already warned for it on the tools page.

Both programs have portable versions that shouldn't install anything.
    Thank You -- I did see the adware warning, and during the installation I did click "NO" or "DECLINE" as each ad offer prompt came up -- or so I thought. With DVDStyler, there were multiple components installed, but where the Trovi.Com installer lies in wait, I have no clue and (obviously) have no wish to go back and find out where and/or when!

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Video
    Last edited by Frank-0-Video; 1st Jun 2014 at 04:39.
    THE Ultimate TV Tuner Device - Picks up every broadcast-cable-satellite transmission since 1928!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!