VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    hi i'm used to filming on mini dv and converting my film using 2pass vbr in CCE encoder SP2 to MPEG and writing discs in tmpeg dvd author and am pleased with the speed and routine of it.

i recently bought a sony hd camera and have some footage in MTS format and would like to convert it using something similar to CCE encoder with the same sort of speed/quality/good sync - is there something that will do this>

Would the PAVtube MTS converter give similar results to CCE or is there someway I can easily renname my MTS to get it to work in CCE - or is it possible to frameserve (I have no idea of how to frameserve really!)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by winalot View Post
    Would the PAVtube MTS converter give similar results to CCE...
    I have no idea since I don't use it, but I seriously doubt it.
    ... is there someway I can easily renname my MTS to get it to work in CCE
    No, since it doesn't contain MPEG video, or anything else CCE accepts as input.
    ...or is it possible to frameserve...
    Yes, an AviSynth script is accepted by CCE for encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    HCenc is free and is the generally accepted alternative to CCE. In fact, it's so good that I stopped worrying about CCE years ago and just moved to using it. You do need to be able to write AviSynth scripts to use HCenc though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Many thanks for your advice, will look into avi synth never used it before so it seems a bit daunting but it looks as though there are tutorials here and on youtube.

I assume I can use it to frameserve to either HC enc or CCE.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by winalot View Post
    I assume I can use it to frameserve to either HC enc or CCE.
    Yes, they both accept AviSynth scripts as input.

However, you may find it easier at first, until you get the hang of it, to convert using AvsToDVD in which you can choose to use HCEnc (but not CCE). It uses AviSynth scripts and you can learn by studying the scripts it creates.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by winalot View Post
    i recently bought a sony hd camera and have some footage in MTS format and would like to convert it using something similar to CCE encoder with the same sort of speed/quality/good sync - is there something that will do this>
    Grass Valley have a free conversion utility which can give excellent results for AVCHD (MTS) to MPEG2 conversions.
    You will need to register a (free) account to get access to the downloads (see here: http://www.grassvalley.com/login?r=%2Fsupport%2Fdownloads%2Fproducts )

The latest version of the conversion utility has pretty comprehensive conversion options... and good quality results (Grass Valley were Canopus in a previous life, and the conversions from their Procoder software were excellent quality)

(You tube 'how to' video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhJRO6KmKP0 )

Edit - that video is a little bit old. Now, the converter and codec are freeware, and you don't need Edius
    Last edited by pippas; 3rd Jun 2014 at 06:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For quick good quality conversion from avchd into DVD spec mpeg-2, I mostly just use ffmpeg. It is very fast and the quality is pretty good. Maybe later I'll post the batch file I use. It uses I and P frames only, no B frames. DVDA likes the them....
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!