VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

I am working with footage from two different GoPro's in a video I am trying to put together. Footage from one of the GoPro's (thankfully, the one I am only using a few clips of) is pillarboxed in YouTube.

Vegas Pro is telling me the pillarboxed videos are 1920 x 1440 x 12 (what does the 12 mean incidentally?) at 23.976fps (don't think frame rate is important to this but have included it just in case), where as the other clips in the video, which fit YouTube perfectly, are 1920 x 1080 x 12 at 29.970fps.

I hate black bars and for the 1920x1440 videos, I would rather zoom in and have some of the image cut-off, as well as perhaps some reduction in video quality, than have any form of pillarboxing. Problem is, I can't see where to do this in Vegas Pro. Can anyone kindly provide me with a solution?

Thank you

Jamie
    Last edited by jcarst85; 1st Jun 2014 at 04:45. Reason: solved
    Quote Quote  
  2. You want the "Event Pan Crop" function. It's one of the little boxes at the tail of your clip.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can adjust the aspect ratio in YouTube by adding a tag. So, you're saying the 1920x1440 one really is 1.33:1 (plays in the correct aspect ratio), but you want to crop the top and bottom to make it 'widescreen'? Ridiculous, if you ask me, but add this tag and the YouTube player will do it for you:

yt:crop=16:9: Zooms in on the 16:9 area, removes windowboxing
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For the GoPro 3+ cams (Black & Silver Editions, at least), there is a 1920x1440 4:3 DAR "Super-Wide" FOV. setting. So If you expected all those to fit together in a 16:9 timeline, you would EXPECT there to be either pillarboxing or stretching or zooming/cropping (of that 1440 material).

Since it is actually HIGHER resolution than the standard 1920x1080, if you can swing it artistically, it would make the most sense to do a crop of just the inner 1920x1080 rectangle, which doesn't necessarily lose quality due to zooming/interpolations (it does, however, lose resolution - but only the extra resolution - and it does lose quality through the expected re-encode). However, you'd still have to match framerates. Telecine probably makes the most sense there.

I can't tell from the post whether you are trying to effect the fix from within your NLE or after having uploaded to YT?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Imagine you are doing a simple slide show. Would you not crop each picture to fit the project? Same thing with video. Each Timeline Event, that deviates from the project settings, must be edited to fit the project.

So use Pan/Crop to crop, and TrackMotion to position.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the responses. From all your replies I did indeed work it out. I tried going into pan crop previously but did not see a setting to match the aspect ratio of the project. I found it by right clicking on the image though.

I'll also try playing around with tags, as I haven't done that before.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!