VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I burned a dual layer DVD (video_ts, audio_ts). The dvd video disk burned normally using Imgburn
    and plays just fine on my standalone DVD player. However, if I put this disk back into the PC
    unit that burned it, it's not recognized at all. Almost like the disk is not even there.

It's not one of the recommended DL's, (Verbatim, etc) just a generic disk I picked up at Staples,
    Maxell or Memorex. It was obviously recognized properly when it was blank!

Something odd going on here - perhaps the burner is to blame, it is a bit long in the tooth -
    NEC 3540a. This has happened at least twice with DL disks. Otherwise the unit is working fine.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does it work with normal/commercial dvds?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it does - after a few seconds Autoplay kicks in and ask me f I want to play the disk with Powerdvd or WMP, etc,etc.
    Browsing with Windows Explorer shows the standard video_ts and audio_ts folders.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    In my experience, problems with consumer grade DL discs is the first sign that your drive is dying. Get prepared to replace it. The next thing you'll likely see is that you will start to get coasters when burning DL discs.

You know better than to use those POS DL brands. That's not helping here, but what you are seeing is that your POS DL disc is not being recognized because the burner is starting to fail.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, guilty as charged. I bought a 3-pack and used them even though I knew they were likely a POS,
    since they all seem to be except a few recommended MID's.

If you look at newegg.com, they sell Verbatims single and dual layer. The single layer specifically identified as AZO,
    but the DL, and other brands such as TDK, Maxell, ect are not really identified fully.

I assume there must be a better place to buy media ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As with all media, only a quality tier 1 brand is recommended. For DL that's Verbatim. Although I've had good luck with TDK.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!